Have you or will you be in an accident?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many miles have you ridden and been in one or more an accident?

• Total voters

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
Reaction score
This stems form the 10 Motorcycle myths. One of the myths was:

A CHP once told me many years ago (as he was writing me a speeding ticket): "There are two kinds of motorcycle riders; those that have been in an accident and those that are going to be."
Not sure I agree (although I've had my share in 50+ years of riding.)

So lets see who's been in an accident or not and how many miles are under your belt.

Do the poll and post about how many miles you had been riding when (if) you crashed (*edit* Street bike, on the street only. If we include dirt bikes it'd be a lot!). Hitting a deer, solo accident, etc, it all counts.

I'd be curious if not surprised to see anyone that's been over 100K without an accident.

I'll start. I have well over 125K riding experience (I know it's not much), around 25-60K I've been in two accidents. Both solo, one my fault the other low sided on oil in the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I'm happy to be a rider with no accidents... and I don't count dropping it in a gas station or freeway offramp in the rain at 11:00 to be an accident. Not that I've done either of those, but I digress.
weirdsmiley.gif

So anyway, only 20K miles total for my and I've been riding about 15 years. I know, sadly low mileage but I was a metric cruiser rider until 2 years ago!
bad.gif
Didn't realize you could get up, ride, and go to sleep 4 states away that night. I only get one big trip a year in and that's my 3-4K mile fall road trip, other than that it's just commuting and weekend day trips.

Glad to still be safe and on two wheels though, dreading the day or night something happens. ATGATT!

The poll says to answer both questions.....second one doesn't apply........please fix......knock on wood 300,000 miles no accidents.................ff

"Accident" is so vague. Originally started riding enduro on dirt trails, and if you hadn't been "Down" - You just hadn't been riding enough.

Street accidents... 4.

First 2 accidents were really my fault (Teenager) 1st one I did not even have a license (15 years old) second one (I am gonna catch crap for this)

I was drunk- took a long drive on an unfamiliar road and it turned out to be a short road. Fractured my spine and learned a lesson.

3rd one (Early 20s) a car didn't see me and made a left turn into me.

Number 4 happened this year when I had to lay down my bike to avoid killing a punk on a bicycle zipping across traffic (And a red light) into my path.

30 years in between accidents with 250k or so miles.

A high side at 15 and a low side, doing 65, at 24. 21 years away from riding, and back on a bike and all is well...so far. Maturation is my friend.

Had two bikes many years ago with no accidents.

FJR had about 117K before I laid her down. My fault, but one of the riding buds said there was a little bit of gravel on the road, I think he was just trying to make me feel less miserable. lol

As my signature states, my Dad told me it isn't a matter of if, but rather when. I do believe if you ride enough, you're bound to go down sooner or later. And that my friends, is a reality that I choose to accept. But with that said, I hope I don't go down again....it kinda sucks.

ATGATT

"Accident" is so vague. Originally started riding enduro on dirt trails, and if you hadn't been "Down" - You just hadn't been riding enough.
Street accidents... 4.

First 2 accidents were really my fault (Teenager) 1st one I did not even have a license (15 years old) second one (I am gonna catch crap for this)

I was drunk- took a long drive on an unfamiliar road and it turned out to be a short road. Fractured my spine and learned a lesson.

3rd one (Early 20s) a car didn't see me and made a left turn into me.

Number 4 happened this year when I had to lay down my bike to avoid killing a punk on a bicycle zipping across traffic (And a red light) into my path.

30 years in between accidents with 250k or so miles.
Edited to do street only. Thanks for the input.

Voni Glaves has over 1,000,000 miles on Beemers and has never had an accident.

I fell off the back of a Triumph Trident doing about 45 miles per hour. I was 19 and my blood alcohol was about 0.19. Tee shirt and jeans, but I had a full face helmet on. Good thing because it had a perforation in it from my sliding down the highway. The rest of me was covered in road rash and I wear the scares still 43 years later. But I don't count this as a motorcycle accident; it is just pure stupity.

Although I've done 125,000km on the FJR and voted that I hadn't been in an accident. I don't count falling over at stand still because I slipped on sand, nor do I count the 7-8 times I've been down on the dirt bike since I got it 3,000km ago. Dirt biking is akin to playing in the mud,

I've been down on pavement 4 times in 435K miles. The first was a beginner rider error on a downhill curve, the second was ice in the shadow of a fir tree, third was a flat (tube) tire that immediately came off the rim, and the fourth was caused by antifreeze in a 35 mph corner (I was down before I knew I was falling). No broken bones but got some road rash from the third and found out the hard way that there is no such thing as a "little roadrash". Its been 24 years and over 300K miles since the last one.....and I hope it truly was.....the last one.....but there isn't much a rider can do when a large forest rat decides to use your motorcycle as a means to commit suicide.

The poll doesn't work. Need to answer both polls, but the second doesn't apply. I have 1.5 million accident free miles between cars, trucks and motorcycles. About 400 of that is bikes. I do not plan to be in an accident, but always dress for a worst case scenario.

I was a UPS driver for many years, and we were taught the Smith system of driving. I still practice those skills to this day when I drive and ride. Back when I worked for UPS, we were told the statistics for accident were: The average driver gets in and accident every 150k miles, the average commercial driver was like every 500k miles, and the average UPS driver was 850k. So yeah, the Smith System works. And like everything else, the more practice you get the better you are, goes for driving/riding too.

The poll says to answer both questions.....second one doesn't apply........please fix......knock on wood 300,000 miles no accidents.................ff
Yep. If 1st question is > 100k no accidents then 2nd ?? is NA?
Guys we are dealing with our Simon Bro', just go with the Bluesy flow! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Had a minor oil slick spill at 150k. Now at 985k I feel the law of averages wanting to take a nip out of my ass. I don't do group rides any more.

First rode from '67 to early '70s, around 40-50k miles and wrecked three bikes in accidents with cagers. Was away from riding for 25 years while raising a family; after starting again in 1996, I've been rear ended by a cager while stopped at a light and have hit three forest rats, two of which died. Total miles at this point, 200-250k. I'm definitely a more cautious rider now than I was then; age has slowed my reflexes. Two things I've noticed between riding then and now, cagers are more aware of motorcyclists (at least around here) and riding with headlights on increases the motorcycle's visibility a lot.