Haven't been around too much lately, here's why!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapnpop

Rest in Peace our Forum Founder
Reaction score
Some of you may know that I build basses as a hobby. My younger brother is a guitar player, and for the last several years I've been working on a very special guitar for him.

A few months ago, my brother spent several weeks in the hospital with inflamation in sections of his brain and spinal column. He was having seizures, and couldn't recognize people or form memories during this time. He's doing much better now, but it's been a strong remind that we are all here for an unknown, limited amount of time. Loved ones can be taken from us at any time, without warning. Don't leave for later what should be done or said now.

With that in mind, I've been pouring almost all of my free time into wrapping the project up. I've put in over 800 hours, but could probably do it a lot quicker the second time around. Most of the work was done by hand, including the neck, headstock, inlay, and the carved top. I did use a CNC for a few spots, mostly the control areas, F-holes, and rear cover plate. The top is flamed Koa, the back is claro walnut, the body is mahogany, the neck is birdseye maple, purpleheart, and mahogany, the fingerboard and accessories are macassar ebony. It's a 25" scale, length 12", and has bartolini pickups and Grover tuners. My brother has promised sound clips when it arrives, hopefully this Tuesday. He lives back in TN, while I live in WA.

Here are a few photos. More hi-res and in-progress photos can be found here.

front1_1280.jpg

front2_1280.jpg

back1_1280.jpg

back2_1280.jpg

headstock_front.jpg

headstock_rear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As a woodcarver I have a real appreciation for anyone who can work with wood. You have done a beautiful job and it is truly a piece of art. I cannot comment as to the quality of the sound but I have to believe it is as good at the craftmanship that produced the wood work. Your brother will know what brotherly love is when he gets the guitar. You have to be very proud of your finished product. It is priceless in my opinion and I am sure your brother will feel the same way.

Awesome Craftsmanship.... Know piano, but you don't have to know anything about music, to know that this instrument has had a lot of heart and soul poured into it's making.

WOW. Just wow.

...Your brother will know what brotherly love is when he gets the guitar. You have to be very proud of your finished product. It is priceless in my opinion and I am sure your brother will feel the same way.
+1 ...exactly.

You've shown more love in building that guitar, than most in a lifetime.

Dude, what can I say except, well, just WOW!! I'd insure that artwork for at least 6 figures I'm thinking.

doctorj

Absolutely incredible. What a gift, and what a story! And here i thought my American Strat was a piece of work. I'm in awe.

Know a fellow admin for some years...and I had no clue.

Wow!

Beautiful creation and beautiful gesture. :clapping:

To say I'm impressed is an absolute understatement. That things is an absolute work of art!!! I hack on the guitar and my son is a musician. Your guitar has such incredible detail and quality I've ever seen in a guitar. It is FANTASTIC!!! :yahoo:

I love guitars, they are functional works of art and engineering. Between the design, shape, natural wood, and electronics, it's just awesome, and in the right hands (not mine) it sounds even more incredible.

The neck and head stock look awesome. I also like the way you have the back cover plate grain matching, not just a piece of plastic. Your brother is getting one fantastic guitar.

Beyond anymore words, that's just amazing.

Last edited by a moderator: