HD Police-Kawasaki to Harly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of them cost about $14,000 to $15,000, plus the additional expense of adding lights, sirens and computers, but "the Harley was built as a police motorcycle," Pryor said.

Can the average Joe buy an Electra Glide for that amount??

All of them cost about $14,000 to $15,000, plus the additional expense of adding lights, sirens and computers, but "the Harley was built as a police motorcycle," Pryor said.

Can the average Joe buy an Electra Glide for that amount??
Yep. As a matter of fact, the local dealer somehow manages to score a police bike (brandy-spankin' new) every now and again and sell them on the open market.

Daniel reports that his new "Hog" is heavier, bigger and faster than the Kawasaki
:blink:
First thing I noticed, too. I'm pretty sure that the HD they'll be riding IS all of those things, including faster, when compared to my KLR 650. I'd be interested to know what model Kawasakis they were riding that are slower than that new HD, though. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if the Chief knows something we don't.https://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/196088.php

click
You asked "Why?"

The article stated that the Kawi Police bikes were no longer being built.
I will clarify; why Harley Davidson?
It is one of those questions that can only be answered by the guy that made the decision. Only speculation can follow.
Can you say 'Kick Back?', that that's right I thought you could... :)

Wonder if the Chief knows something we don't.https://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/196088.php

click
You asked "Why?"

It is one of those questions that can only be answered by the guy that made the decision. Only speculation can follow.

From what I understand, HD is all but giving the bikes away. Even then, alot of places are going with BMW's.

click
You asked "Why?"

HD has a guaranteed buy-back from police departments after a set time. The police department nets out almost zero for the use of the bikes.

I like when he comments that "some of the officers would prefer to ride something else"....he'll I'd love to get paid to ride motorcycles all day, write tickets and partake in an occasional high speed chase or two. Harley or no Harley I'd ride it!

The police department nets out almost zero for the use of the bikes.
Cool, money over safety. Low bid wins, public safety officers lose.

The CA Highway Patrol is about to get outfitted with all new 1200 Beemers, from what I've heard on the streets.

Fresno PD was demoing some ST1300's awhile back, not sure how that's going. The officer told me they were being considered because the BMW's were killing the budget on maintenance.

My department was looking at them, and so was the CHP. The CHP ruled them out because of the horrible ABS system. It takes up almost one entire side case. It doesn't work well either, acccording to the guys I spoke to.

HD seems gives the department a garaunteed buy back option as well as some sort of maintenance package. I honestly don't know how it all works out, but the departments don't seem to have to put out a whole lot of money for those things.

If I were a motor copper, I wouldn't want to ride one of those things either. I don't know how they could be faster than the old Kawi's.

Rick

Here in South Dakota, HD loans bikes to Mount Rushmore National Memorial and Badlands National Park for the summer. Each park gets 1 or 2 bikes to use at no cost. Park rangers then use them for patrolling. I guess HD does it for the free advertising at those high-profile parks.

How many cheap Harleys are worth the accident that could have been avoided with a better performing motorcycle? I have no problem with Harleys, heck I wouldn't mind one for the occaisional cruise, but cops should have better performing bikes IMO.

Gunny to TC on this one

My parents live in Tuscon and a friend of ours is one of the moto cops there. The H-D package deal is head and shoulders WAY above anything being offered by BMW or Honda. Secondly, they already tried out the RTP on their squad and did not like them. I won't go into the details of the deal but it's a win/win situation for the PD and the taxpayers. That's why.

To try and answer everyones questions

1. The police model that Kaw bilt is derived from the old Concourse.

2. Price for Harley is at cost.

3 Harley gave LAPD dealer statis so they could buy parts at dealer cost, so they could use there own maintance shop.

4. The ABS on the 08's is inside the frame so the saddle bag space is no longer an issue. ABS is also an option on some regular touring models and standard on the FLHTC Ultra Classic.

5. The reason so many departments are shying away from BMW is the high maintance cost. For some reason they go through a lot of clutches and this requires major surgery to replace.

6. I have heard that a lot of departments are shying away from the Honda ST1300 due to England grounding all the St's due to officers killed (hearsay on my part). A friend of mine that rides an ST for a Small City department told me that the reason for this is the fact that the front wheel comes up so easy and if it comes down with the bars slightly turned they will go into a high speed wobble.

7. And last but not least the police model harley are being equiped with 103 cubic inch motors where as the regular models are 96 cubic inches.

Hope this helps a little. My 2cents worth.

Last edited by a moderator: