headed to Acadia / Bangor/Bar Harbor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahamlin01

Reaction score
Hi,

I am headed to Bangor on Sunday Oct. 5th - will stay o/n and go to Bar Harbor / Acadia for Monday day - plan to stay again Monday night and ride on Tuesday eventually heading back to CT. Tuesday might involve heading back through NH, west from Bangor, and eventually heading South.

Any one in the know on good roads up in that area? Any to avoid, etc...?

Thanks

Allen

ShawnKing: Just a note- the best time to ride through the park is late in the afternoon. Many of the tourists are gone from the park, but give yourself enough daylight to stop along the way for some of the most beautiful vistas you'll ever see. Cruise up Cadillac Mountain for sunset near the end of the ride. Breathtaking as long as it's clear.

Don't forget to visit the west side of the island through Southwest Harbor, Bass Harbor etc. Great loop ride with pretty decent roads.

ahamlin01:No ferry, it's a straight shot down 1A from Bangor to Ellsworth onto RT3 and over the Trenton Bridge (small bridge) to Bar Harbor.

PS: Stop in at Geddy's in Bar Harbor for a bite. Great watering, hole a favorite for tourists and locals alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, Acadia/Bar Harbor is beautiful. Bring your woolies. If you are into lobstahhas this is the place!

As far as Peter_MA's routings: GUNNY!

Just a note- the best time to ride through the park is late in the afternoon. Many of the tourists are gone from the park, but give yourself enough daylight to stop along the way for some of the most beautiful vistas you'll ever see. Cruise up Cadillac Mountain for sunset near the end of the ride. Breathtaking as long as it's clear.
Don't forget to visit the west side of the island through Southwest Harbor, Bass Harbor etc. Great loop ride with pretty decent roads.

PS: Stop in at Geddy's in Bar Harbor for a bite. Great watering, hole a favorite for tourists and locals alike.
Thanks for the feedback - I am looking forward to the trip, and this will be helpful advice since I have not been there before.

Allen

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife and I rented a car last Sept and visited the same spots you plan. We had an excellent time.

Watch out for the bald eagles........................especially when riding the road around or close to road kill.

One dove from the sky across my windshield last year and snatched up some road kill right in front of the car. It was an amazing sight..................but frightening just the same. The last thing I would want to do is to have hit that bird. I'd still be in jail.

Beautiful area, you guy's are gonna love the sights.

ShawnKing: Just a note- the best time to ride through the park is late in the afternoon.
DOH! Misunderstood the original post. I'm from Nova Scotia originally and when I saw "Acadia" I just assumed that meant a place in Nova Scotia - hence the question about the ferry.

My wife and I are planning a Nova Scotia ride (I've never ridden a motorcycle in my home province!) and I was looking or ferry info and costs from someone who had actually done or was going to do the trip...

Sorry!

I've been going to Acadia for the past 20 years and I finally introduced my FJR this past July. Obviously hit up the park loop road, Cadillac Mt., and stop at Jordan Pond for some pop-overs with lobsta stew. If you can manage some time (an hour each way)- take rt. 1 north out of Ellsworth to Schoodic Peninsula. It's an awesome/beautiful ride! And like someone already mentioned- stop at Geddy's in Bar Harbor for some Blueberry Ale.

ShawnKing: Just a note- the best time to ride through the park is late in the afternoon.
DOH! Misunderstood the original post. I'm from Nova Scotia originally and when I saw "Acadia" I just assumed that meant a place in Nova Scotia - hence the question about the ferry.

My wife and I are planning a Nova Scotia ride (I've never ridden a motorcycle in my home province!) and I was looking or ferry info and costs from someone who had actually done or was going to do the trip...

Sorry!
Here you go!

https://www.catferry.com/

Sorry!
<jack>Aren't Acadians in N.B.?<endjack>

Sorry!
<jack>Aren't Acadians in N.B.?<endjack>
And Nova Scotia and PEI and...

I was just thinking about heading up that way myself, lived in Belfast as a kid. I thought about taking RTs 202 and 3 on the way up and RTs 1 and 20 back.

Baddog,

Did I see you on or around i-295 the other morning? I was commuting north.

Sullivan

Downeast ride:

Watch out for the wet leaves on the ground this week when on those secondary twisties up the coast.

Would this be Allen my chapter webmaster? B) Give me a holler at work if it is. Lets get working on a Sport Touring Bike Iron Butt for next spring if ya want.

Brad