Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dual Star

But make sure you wrap some something around the G2 tube. I didn't initially and the roughness of the G2 tube rubbed through the grip. Once I wrapped it, it's been great since.

Dual-star has heat shrink tube that I used on both sides to have the heat come up better through the grip and not the handlebar.

I did the grips in series and did not follow their high or low and the grips get really hot. I use a heat-troller to control them.

Heated Grips

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to install the Yamaha OEM grip kit, you'll need the AE version of the G2 throttle tube (it's longer than the standard throttle tube). The grip kit comes with the throttle grip pre-installed on a new throttle tube, so you could either give up your G2, or transfer the grip from the new OEM throttle tube to a new AE version of the G2.

Does this mean that I have to pitch the G2 throttle tube that I just bought and buy the one for the AE model?
I believe that's true if you want to use the factory heated grip kit that costs big $. Or you could use that G2 tube with the dual star heated grips, which will be your cheapest option, but require custom wiring. Or you could buy the heated grip kit for a Honda ST1300 (p/n 08T50-MCS-100) and it'll work with the standard G2 tube (this is the setup I'm running). Click HERE for Honda grip installation.

Does this mean that I have to pitch the G2 throttle tube that I just bought and buy the one for the AE model?
I believe that's true if you want to use the factory heated grip kit that costs big $. Or you could use that G2 tube with the dual star heated grips, which will be your cheapest option, but require custom wiring. Or you could buy the heated grip kit for a Honda ST1300 (p/n 08T50-MCS-100) and it'll work with the standard G2 tube (this is the setup I'm running). Click HERE for Honda grip installation.

I,ve got the Yamaha factory heated grips put on my 08. They were in fact BIG BUCKS but I couldn,t be happier with them and they work fine with my throttlemeister

I installed the Dual Star heated grips and I used the BMW grips. I covered the clutch side with the heat shrink tube to insulate the bars, and installed the toggle switch with rubber boot, they recomend the clutch side element for the G-2 tube, I used a throttle grip for the clutch side due to the increase dia after the heat shrink install. the grips heat is toasty...

I have the Dual Stars and they do work great. I did not wrap the clutch side with shrink wrap or anything else to keep the bar from acting as a heat-sink. That side is cooler than the throttle side and if I did it again I would definately wrap the clutch side. Not worth taking everything off to do it however; still warm enough.

I also have the Dual Star heaters on my 2007 AE and didn't wrap the left side, but the heat feels equal to me. The left side heater has a slightly lower resistance than the right side to compensate for the heat sink effect.

I use the stock AE heated grip controller with the Dual Star heaters. Works great.

I recently install Hot Grips See this. They work well and don't have any imbalance in the heating on either side. I'm running the G2 also. No problems installing except for not noticing that they came with two instruction sheets -- one for installing serially connected grips and one for parallel. I chose the wrong one at first and had to re-wire in parallel.

7X

I had good performance from the Dual Star kit on my ST1300. The kit has different elements for the left and right side to balance the heat output (the left grip needs more heat output because it goes right on the metal handlebar which sucks up more heat) It also has no waste resistor so it draws less current in the low setting than the high setting. All in all a nice set-up if you do a tidy job with the wiring. I don't see why you can't use the Dual Star kit with the G2 throttle tube.

I got the big-bucks OE grips when I bought my '09 FJR. The price is outrageous but it looks and works great. It looks like a PITA to install, tho.

pete

I just bought an OEM kit off ebay for my 08 model, but knowing what I now know, I'd have bought the ST1300 kit and saved $100+

Mike

I had good performance from the Dual Star kit on my ST1300. The kit has different elements for the left and right side to balance the heat output (the left grip needs more heat output because it goes right on the metal handlebar which sucks up more heat) It also has no waste resistor so it draws less current in the low setting than the high setting. All in all a nice set-up if you do a tidy job with the wiring. I don't see why you can't use the Dual Star kit with the G2 throttle tube.

I got the big-bucks OE grips when I bought my '09 FJR. The price is outrageous but it looks and works great. It looks like a PITA to install, tho.

pete