Heated grips.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my Grip Puppies off today and rode 60 mph in 45 fahrenheit temperature for a couple of hours with the heated grips on and the remaining four hours at less than 52 fahrenheit. It made an incredible difference. When I came home the Grip Puppies went straight into the trash.
The OP was primarily interested in grip diameter and the Grip Puppies will do that just fine. From what I have read, the Grip Buddies are more waterproof and robust although more expensive. (I suspect that someone in Southern California has less need for really good heat transmission than those of us from more northern climes.) In any case, I'll probably go to the Grip Buddies "Lite" when it comes time to buy a set (grips are wearing noticeably). I don't particularly need the added diameter or vibration dampening, but the thinner fabric will transmit heat a bit better.

The OP was primarily interested in grip diameter and the Grip Puppies will do that just fine. From what I have read, the Grip Buddies are more waterproof and robust although more expensive. (I suspect that someone in Southern California has less need for really good heat transmission than those of us from more northern climes.) In any case, I'll probably go to the Grip Buddies "Lite" when it comes time to buy a set (grips are wearing noticeably). I don't particularly need the added diameter or vibration dampening, but the thinner fabric will transmit heat a bit better.
Waterproof, yes. Robust, I'd say no. I replace my Buddy Lites twice per year due to wearing out and splitting. They need to be made about 3/16" longer. They do however transfer the heat from the grips fine IMO.

Waterproof, yes. Robust, I'd say no. I replace my Buddy Lites twice per year due to wearing out and splitting. They need to be made about 3/16" longer. They do however transfer the heat from the grips fine IMO.
Good to know. (I had heard similar complaints about the Grip Puppies which is why the Grip Buddies looked like a good alternative.) Perhaps the Re-Grip suggested by @Whooshka would be a better choice for me. I don't especially need (or want) the extra outside diameter and while the Grip Buddies aren't terribly expensive, it would irritate me if they didn't even last a year. Or even a "wrap" used on bicycle handlebars, fishing rods or tennis racquets. In the interim, I expect the original grips will be OK for another year or so...

I wrapped tennis racket grip tape over my grips with the primary reason being to increase the grip diameter mostly in the center (lengthwise) and taper it toward each end of the grip. The 'feel' is greatly improved for me and the heat gets through just fine. Although it takes a couple minutes longer to heat up. Its still to hot on the highest setting.

Any suggestions for increasing the diameter of the heated grips to avoid cramping? Thank you!
I've used baseball bat wrap and tennis racket wrap for years on many bikes and CanAm Spyders. Heated grips still work with them on. But I take them off during the winter because I'm using thick gloves and don't need the extra. An added bonus is you can get them in all sorts of patterns and colors. The bat wraps come in different thicknesses. Once I put two on each end and it still worked well.

This is interesting. I have been using Grip Buddies (thin) for quite some time. I started with my 2014 when new in Dec 2013 and only changed out for new last year. Current miles on the bike 70,125 miles. Never had splitting just gradual wear mostly on the throttle grip. If you use the thin Grip Buddy and punch holes to let heat emit, that would be the ideal set up.

This is interesting. I have been using Grip Buddies (thin) for quite some time. I started with my 2014 when new in Dec 2013 and only changed out for new last year. Current miles on the bike 70,125 miles. Never had splitting just gradual wear mostly on the throttle grip. If you use the thin Grip Buddy and punch holes to let heat emit, that would be the ideal set up.
I appreciate all the good and caring feedback re grip coverings.
I received a pair of grip buddies last night and was able to quickly and easily install them for a hundred mike ride today.
I was pleasantly surprised not only by the ease of installation, but the enlarged, cushioned grip, and outer durable material.
The heat came through sufficiently from the heated grips, thought the temperatures were not extreme.
Provided they hold up well, I would definitely buy them again.
Thank you to each of you for your input!
GR