Helibars and wwire looms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevet

Reaction score
I'm sitting on a stool in my garage looking at the installation instructions for my new Helibars and it looks like the stock wiring/hydraulic line wire looms are used along with the Heli's. But my problem is that I don't seem to still have the wire looms from when I removed them to install bar riser blocks last year.

Are the factory wire looms a requirement of re-installation, or are they optional?

I can imagine what the dealer would want for a set of wire looms...

I'm sitting on a stool in my garage looking at the installation instructions for my new Helibars and it looks like the stock wiring/hydraulic line wire looms are used along with the Heli's. But my problem is that I don't seem to still have the wire looms from when I removed them to install bar riser blocks last year.

Are the factory wire looms a requirement of re-installation, or are they optional?

I didn't bother. Think I cut through them anyway during the tear out.

Don't see why you would need them.

Thanks. I actually just found them buried on a workbench. They won't be re-used-- there is nothing about the mounting alignment of the looms to the Helibar that even remotely lines up. So I'm diving in, no looms.

I didn't bother. Think I cut through them anyway during the tear out.

Don't see why you would need them.
+1. Did the same. Go for it.

With out the original wire looms and mount, there is not possible way to properly mount the Heli. Stop now before you waste all your time and effort. Please box up the Helis and forward them to me for proper disposal.

Thank you,

Owen

Owen, thanks for your kind offer, but unfortunately it's too late, I successfully installed the Helibars yesterday. But I'll make you a good deal on the OEM clamp... And a set of cut up cable looms.

I took the bike out for a little toot around town last night, also making this the second ride with my new Russell saddle. Wow, it's a totally different bike. My FJR has been transformed from a "sport" sport-touring bike to a "touring" sport-touring bike. It now seems to have ergo's similar to (please don't curse me for what I'm about to write) a Honda ST1300. And that's always been the briefest comparison between these two bikes, the sport and the touring feel of each bike. And no, I should not have just bought a Honda... I'm certainly not alone in these modifications. I'm just getting that much closer to having this bike fit me rather than force myself to conform to the bike.

Owen, thanks for your kind offer, but unfortunately it's too late, I successfully installed the Helibars yesterday. But I'll make you a good deal on the OEM clamp... And a set of cut up cable looms.

I took the bike out for a little toot around town last night, also making this the second ride with my new Russell saddle. Wow, it's a totally different bike. My FJR has been transformed from a "sport" sport-touring bike to a "touring" sport-touring bike. It now seems to have ergo's similar to (please don't curse me for what I'm about to write) a Honda ST1300. And that's always been the briefest comparison between these two bikes, the sport and the touring feel of each bike. And no, I should not have just bought a Honda... I'm certainly not alone in these modifications. I'm just getting that much closer to having this bike fit me rather than force myself to conform to the bike.
I put the MCL riser plate on mine a few weeks ago...wire loom is gone. I'd never knock a ST1300...I've owned 2 of them and 2 ST1100's!!

Gary

I think there have been a few that did not like the more upright riding position the heli triple clamp provides. Considering

the number of used ones that show up for sale, I'd guess peeps ar pretty happy with the trade off.

If the majority of my riding was in the twisties I probably would not want the heli clamp but then again I would probably

have a FZ1 instead of the FJR if it were.

The way I see it's your bike and your money so setup the bike the way you like. Sport Touring/ Touring Sport there just words.

Enjoy. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:

A year ago I had just completed the same Heli Bar and Russell seat installation, what a difference. I can now ride all day with no discomfort. Before the changes, this old body started complaining in 4-5 hours. Yes, it fits me better , not me trying to conform to the machine. Definite improvement!

when you did the install did you remove the fuel tank? Also did you re-route the throttle the throttle cabs as outlined in the intructions? Thanks!

when you did the install did you remove the fuel tank? Also did you re-route the throttle the throttle cabs as outlined in the intructions? Thanks!
I just completed the Heli Bar installation. To answer your questions: yes and yes.

Or you could disconnect the green and white wiring pieces and prop the front of the fuel tank up with a piece of plywood or stick of lumber. I always spill a little fuel when I take it all the way off and there was no need for the helibars install.

My throttle cable easily went to where it was supposed to go so I didn't have to disconnect it either, but doing so it fairly painless. The most painful part was drilling out the ignition without a drillpress. Got her done but it took an evening. Drill press would take 10 minutes.

Extremely happy with results!