Hella FF50 with FuzeBlock Install Guide

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going to put a ground bus at the front, just tie it directly to battery ground. No point running an "unnecessary" wire back to the Fuzeblock! ;)
Ja well, you see, part of the reason for the Fuzeblock was to reduce all those extra wires going to the battery. :) Currently I have 3 additional wires going to the battery (listed in the order in which they arrived on the bike):

• CTek battery tender
  • Fuzeblock
  • Datel volt meter
Not sure if there's room on that -ve battery terminal for a 4th wire. :) I'll probably just create my own paired wire by threading the + and - wires through one of those wire guides and run the two of them to the front. Thanks again fro the advice.

...Which brings up a good point that I thought about when reading the OP: Why put the FuzeBlock in the rear of the bike when all the gizmos are up front? Seems like a lot of back and forth wiring to get it back there, unless you are mounting a lot of electronic stuff back there or under the seat. I bought one of these things this winter and have yet to figure out where exactly I want to mount it.
Biggest reason is a lack of space up front... but equally important is laziness. It's just so easy to drop under the rear seat and it fits like a glove! :dribble:

Actually I like the idea of having it up front too but haven't spent the time or effort to find a good home for it up there. Will likely move it when I add more farkles and some switches.

If you are going to put a ground bus at the front, just tie it directly to battery ground. No point running an "unnecessary" wire back to the Fuzeblock! ;)
Ja well, you see, part of the reason for the Fuzeblock was to reduce all those extra wires going to the battery. :) Currently I have 3 additional wires going to the battery (listed in the order in which they arrived on the bike):

• CTek battery tender
  • Fuzeblock
  • Datel volt meter
Not sure if there's room on that -ve battery terminal for a 4th wire. :) I'll probably just create my own paired wire by threading the + and - wires through one of those wire guides and run the two of them to the front. Thanks again fro the advice.
No worries. One last thought... with a good ground bus at the fround, simple daisy chain the Fuzeblock -ve off of the new one. With a properly sized connection to the battery, there is no reason why the C-Tek and Datel could not also ground to the new bus. Now only one additional connection to the battery! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased the fuzeblock and have the same question as Fred.

Why put the fuzeblock all the way at the very back of the bike? Has anyone else found a better place to put the fuzeblock further forward on the bike? (is that a good or bad idea?)

Thanks

David

I finally finished the installation of my FF50s so thought I'd just update the circuit diagram I used. As I've mentioned, I could not find a DPDT switch with indicator light, so had to build my own. However, I decided to use a bi-colour LED and wired it up so that the light would indicate in which position the switch is (green for "follow high beam" and red for "always on"). Here is the switch end result:

797986324_U4DrP-S.jpg

A small, but important change to the circuit was to tap the "follow the high beam" trigger wire off of the high beam power line on the headlight side of the headlight relay (the yellow wire if I recall correctly). This ensured that the aux light truely followed the high beam rather than the high beam switch (recall that the headlight does not come on before the engine starts). The actual circuit as installed is as follows:

797980469_P9msD-L.jpg

Thanks again for the help I received here and from David, my electrical engineering friend, who helped with the measure twice (for me it was more like 5 times) cut once during the installation, not to mention the soldering.

Neat idea with the bi-color led indicator! :thumbsup:

For those that wanted to install the above light circuit without the fancy LED indicator you will only need a SPDT switch, and the physical position of the switch would be your indication of which "mode" it is in.