Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd echo SacramentoMike.

I'm on my second Multitec. First was light silver, this one is anthracite. I also have an RF-1000 Caster. Basically only wear it on the F800R or on the track (no track bike right now). Definite Shoei head.

I know people like the Schuberths...I can't stomach the cost, and I feel they're less plush than Shoeis. But it's what you like, and they're top quality.

My cautionary Neotec tale: Very nice helmet. Fit the top of my head just fine. Once I latched it closed, however, you could put a stopwatch on my getting severe pain in my jaw. The bottom of the helmet actually squeezes smaller when you latch it. The (potential) cure is thinner cheek pads. Which are $45-ish. On top of a $600 helmet. In their defense, Shoei has seen the error of this policy, and will either swap them for you (you send yours in {new}) for exchange, or the retailer can do the swap. They wouldn't do it at the time, and I chose to go to the second Multitec instead.

I don't care for the sunshade either. Mine got foggy after a few rides, even in the dry, and it doesn't snap out for cleaning very easily. (Thanks to the other poster for mentioning that-I'd forgotten) I also like using a hi-resolution (orange) shield in bad weather, and the only shield available for the Neo is clear.

A helmet that I've been intrigued by is the Givi X.01 Explorer. The chin bar doesn't pivot up; it comes off, allowing you to swap between a "summer" one with big vents, and a "winter" one with a closeable vent and chin curtain. You can also convert it to a "jet" version--meaning open-faced. I keep bumping into the fact that I don't think I'd ever use it open, and again, the only tinted option is the flip-down internal sun visor.

I reckon that's more than my two cents, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use whatever silicon-bulbed earbuds I can find to mitigate wind noise and listen to GPS/tunes. I've long toyed with something custom, but worried that I'd spend big coin just to have something that didn't last long. What are you using?
Foam cheapies, they work great. I also have a set of Shure 215K Earbuds that are awesome now I finally found the correct tips.

SENA is loud enough with foam plugs, and when I use the Shure I have to turn the volume way down.

I use a GMAX 54S in silver.

It's a great helmet all around, though I had to use some anti-fog coating on the face shield. The sun visor also came with a sticker on it that seems to have been put on with the intent of never coming off.

Still, for around $200, I'm quite happy with it.

I was wearing an Arai corsair v this summer when a deer caused me to test its crash worthiness. Did its job very well. Nice high quality lid. Things I didn't like? Expensive, Very loud and difficult sheild changes.

For its replacement I wanted quieter. I wear earplugs on long days only. Shoei quest was reported to be quieter than average. Found hi-viz overt on motorcyclegear.com on clearance for $300. So far so good. Very comfortable and quiet. May Wish it had more ventilation when next summer comes.

Any opinons on the Bell revolver? Or other current Bell models? There's a closeout on hi-viz bell revolvers that's too good to pass up, but I don't know much about them.

Don't know, except the Revolver accepts the auto-tinting photochromic shield -- enticing to guys with glasses.

PS: Love my Bell Vortex ... which isn't relevant to this conversation ... but I am rarely relevant to anything.

The revolver's are on sale for $99.99. I've just worn Nolan's for so long, I'm not familiar with Bell's quality or lack thereof. Will check out the Vortex.

Bell Vortex, Silver. Snell and DOT, great shield system + transition for chaining light conditions. I like the color, fit, and looks, only complaints are it seems like a big shell for a medium, and it's louder then it should be.

I have decided that although my Lazer Monaco helmet is a fine flip up, I just prefer a solid full face. So, I found what I consider to be a great deal at Revzilla, a Lazer Kestrel Carbon for $199 (includes pinlock insert), plus the photochromic shield for $87. The only downside is there is apparently no ear relief for speakers.

As far as ear plugs, I finally broke down and had a set of custom plugs made (at the IMS Show in San Mateo). I got the long-life type even though they are spendy ($60.00). I had been using the soft silicone putty type popular with swimmers. Excellent but expendable (they get grody after a while and have to be tossed).

So far, best ear protection I've ever owned, would highly recommend them. They are making a bunch of money off of 10 cents worth of colored silicone (or whatever it is) but I'm not complaining.

On the helmet (staying OT), I have a Shoei RF-1100. Absolute best helmet I've ever owned (over 50 years), first one I can ride all day with no pain or discomfort.

Dan

Shoei Neotec for me.This helmet fills in all the gaps for me. It is well balanced, very comfortable, great ventilation, flip down visor, removable liner and it is easy to put on and take off.

Mine is smoke gray.

This is the best helmet I have ever owned.
+1 Love my Neotec. Same as yours.
gunny that.....new graphics this year, so I am writing a letter to Santa as we speak

Arai Profile... and it's due for replacement but I'm cringing at the price of the few helmets built for my narrow (aka alien) shaped head. WebBikeWorld currently lists only 8 helmets classified as narrow. Most are no longer produced or sold in the US or are Schuberth ($$$). If anyone else liked the Profile (now discontinued) I'd appreciate hearing what you're using now.

Empire 1549 full face. Not cheap and doesn't deflect blaster shots worth a damn. But the ventilation system is da shizzle!
1549_stormtrooper_helmet_alt.jpg
RH, I hear the latest models have the new "Dark Side 2015" impact rating. Only way to go!

I have an Arai Signet-Q, and the fit, and finish is tops! Changing shields, or for that matter cheek pads, could use some more engineering though. I also like, that I don't look like I should be in the movie Spaceballs!

I have the Shoei GT Air. By far the quietest helmet I've ever worn. My last two helmets were a Shoei X11, and then an RF1100. I definitely have a Shoei head.

I've never been a fan of integrated sun visors, but the one in the GT Air functions superbly. I wish it were just a shade or two darker, but it's really fine - just a minor quibble. Factory-equipped with a pinlock visor, I've experienced zero fogging. It vents well, but not as well as the X11, although that seems to be one of the airiest full-face helmets around.

The clear visor is very thick, and is spring-loaded against the helmet for a very tight seal. Really slams shut with a thump.

Good luck with your search!

With such good deals out there, I'm just trying to decide between what I like (black or dark gray), and what's probably smarter (red to match the 2014 or a white helmet)...

arai_vector2_high_viz_neon_helmet_yellow_detail.jpg

Arai Vector 2. Fit is great. Only drawback, top vent gives me a weird duck call sound sometimes. Will be making a mod to it this winter to put an end to that.

With such good deals out there, I'm just trying to decide between what I like (black or dark gray), and what's probably smarter (red to match the 2014 or a white helmet)...
When I replace mine I will go with white, or as light a Hi-Viz color I can find.

The summer sun here is brutal.

I prefer a modular helmet because I wear glasses and I can leave them on while putting the helmet on. I use a HJC Symax 3. I bought it last year to replace a Symax 2 that was getting ratty inside, and the Symax 3 comes in Hi-Viz yellow, which I like. Another reason I upgraded to the Symax 3 is that it accepts a pin lock shield. The pin lock really helps minimize fogging. I kept the Symax 2 as a spare.

These helmets fit me well and are comfortable for all day use, multiple days in a row. Fit and comfort are important to me. They are noisy in the wind, though all modulars are noisy and the 3 is a little quieter than the older Symax 2. I always wear ear plugs when riding, so the wind noise is not a problem for me.