High Idle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtallguy

Reaction score
Recently installed an Audiovox cruise and checked valve clearances (no adjustment).

My idle has been sticking at about 1500rpm lately and I haven't been able to figure it out. It starts and idles fine at 1100rpm, then after having rpms up for a few seconds, it comes back to a 1500rpm idle. I can fix it with the idle adjust screw, then it goes right back up to 1500 after having the rpms up again. I can blip the throttle and it stays at 1100.

So far I've done a TBS, and disconnected the AVCC canister to make sure it wasn't a vacuum leak there. Also made sure nothing is binding. All I can think of is maybe part of the bolt on the throttle tang is barely hitting the throttle stop, then moving off it when I blip the throttle or wiggle the idle adjust screw. I really can't tell if it is or isn't, and it looks like it should be clearing it.

What do you guys think?

Does it remain at 1500 if you rotate the grip clockwise?

Thinking along the same line as Ionbeam...

I don't know if the throttle spring has been undone, it snaps back pretty good though.

Upon closer observation, it is barely hitting the little lip of the chain holder thing from the audiovox when it hits the stop. Wiggling the idle adjust, letting the throttle snap shut, or turning the throttle clockwise wil get it to seat properly.

I'm thinking I'll file down the lip a little next time I'm in there that far so it won't interfere. Right now It's easily fixed, and only hangs occasionally, so I'm leaving it.

Thanks!

I don't know if the throttle spring has been undone, it snaps back pretty good though.

Upon closer observation, it is barely hitting the little lip of the chain holder thing from the audiovox when it hits the stop. Wiggling the idle adjust, letting the throttle snap shut, or turning the throttle clockwise wil get it to seat properly.

I'm thinking I'll file down the lip a little next time I'm in there that far so it won't interfere. Right now It's easily fixed, and only hangs occasionally, so I'm leaving it.
I don't often do a full quote, but this time the OP got it right. If that doesn't work for ya, write back :)