Hitting the Napa Twisties Tomorrow to Practice Cornering Technique

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
Fang's gonna be busy tomorrow afternoon, so after having to spend Sunday morning fetching and carrying for her on command, I'll be free to sneak out and play motorcycles in the afternoon.

It's been a week since learning some mad new skills (thank you, Jack Kerouac) from Lee Parks about how to approach, enter, and exit a turn (see below), as well has how to combine brake and throttle, and I am eager to get out there and practice them.

A location close to me with lots of twisties, good pavement, good sight lines, and places to pass safely is up around Lake Berryessa. So that's my destination, with a Napa fueling and jumping-off point. I'll be focusing on technique and safety, not speed per se. Accident and ticket avoidance are high on my objectives list when riding.

Here's what I have in mind. I believe Dr. Rich has taken folks recently on this route, so if you're looking for something new....

Anyone who wants to join is welcome. This will be, of course, a "shared destination" ride, which means in part that although I may be in front, I will not be "leading" the ride. Nor will l be waiting for others to catch up at intersections. But as always I will look forward to visiting at the fueling stop aforehand and the rest stop at the end, namely, Winters.

I'll be fueling up here in Napa on Trancas at 1PM, and leaving by 1:30: Bel Aire Shell, 3294 Claremont Way, Napa, CA.

We will have time at the Shell station to play with each other's front and rear :rolleyes: rebound damping since that's very easy to adjust. Someone just has to hold the bike up while someone else presses and releases front and rear :eek: in between setting adjustments.

Here is Lee Parks' cornering technique from Total Control:

1. Reposition foot (toes on peg to increase clearance)

2. Pre-position body (lean off)

3. Push on outside grip (to counter-balance the effect of your leaning off)

4. Locate turn point (the pavement spot ahead where you will initiate your lean)

5. Look through turn

6. Relax outside grip (when you reach your turn point, which you were no longer looking directly at)

7. Push on inside grip

8. Roll on throttle

9. Push outside grip

10. Move back to neutral

JB

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a great road JB.. enjoy the practice day.

Oh, and don't think too much. It will make your head hurt. :lol:

Watch out for the BI-CYCLIST, it is getting near the Davis double century bike ride and they are out there practicing for 200 mile day on pedal power..

So there will be a CHP that will cruise the road (s) you are on.

Be VERY careful Gentlemen and Ladies. I rode this morning and there is MASSIVE law enforcement this weekend. I followed 3 CHP to Moskowite where there were more LEOs than you could count. I have to believe they were imported from elsewhere. Just too many. They were on bikes, in cars and in pickups. There have been aircraft in the area lately as well but I didn't notice any today.

If you aee looking for another place to try, If you have not already ridden it yet would be down south Take hwy. 58 just out of the town of

Mckitterick and thatis right head towar creston, yes creston, what a great road for you to practice what you have learned. You may want to stop by a see D. Carver while in the neighbor hood.

Lunch at Point Reyes, Hwy 1, Meyers Grade Rd., Stewarts Point-Skaggs Springs Rd.?

How about a run (or 2 or 3) up Mt. Diablo?

Just another tip from a local rider, me. Rumor has it Cali state police as well as city police are stepping up performance awards to help with the empty coffers situation since they can't seem to balance the check book money we already voluntarily donate......and once again we are the targets. I would like to do this ride but we're celebrating my daughter's, son-in-laws and wife's birthdays. Ride safe, PM. <>< :unsure:

Just another tip from a local rider, me. Rumor has it Cali state police as well as city police are stepping up performance awards to help with the empty coffers situation since they can't seem to balance the check book money we already voluntarily donate......and once again we are the targets. I would like to do this ride but we're celebrating my daughter's, son-in-laws and wife's birthdays. Ride safe, PM. <>< :unsure:
Hi, Pain. How you?

Think I'll stay home today and work on my latest landscape painting (of Mt. Tam at sunrise), which I blocked in yesterday (18x24). At some point I might just toodle up the freeway to get my motorcycle fix. But if not I'll today I'll get the fix tomorrow morning at 7 as usual, King Friday.

Jb

3476939260_efcb528781.jpg