Home safe and sound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are right. If I had put on the vest about 10:00 I might have been OK.

I guess you kept Petey in Line. LOL

Glenn

I think you are right. If I had put on the vest about 10:00 I might have been OK.
I guess you kept Petey in Line. LOL

Glenn
That's pretty funny Glenn. Nobody keeps petey in line...'cuz nobody can catch petey to try. I'd have to learn a few more tricks from the "petey school of motorcycling" to do that. Only time I catch up to petey is when we room together...(he has to stop sometime to sleep)

Great to see you again Bob and congrats on the SS1K! Nothing bigger than bunnies though...
I did encounter a Chupacabra between Ely and Tonopah, about 1:30am, but managed to avoid pasting it. It looked like a jackrabbit at first, but then it spun around and froze in place, glaring at the bike as it went by at 80+. It looked mostly like a fox in the face, but it was kinda small and the tail wasn't very long or bushy at all. Definitely a predator, but no bigger than the large jackrabbits out there. Kinda spooky, in a cool sort of way. You don't get to see much of that activity during the day, and it's also very hot.

Filthy_Ark_Fox.jpg

Just got in. My neighbor and I covered a little over 3400 miles and never needed rain gear. Had to pay a minor road tax in Nevada but it was a rural ticket so no reporting. 67 dollars averaged over 3400 miles is cheap. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Rambler and I logged 6985 miles to and from NAFO. I averaged 52.4 mpg for the entire trip on the '06 AE. Longest daily run, however, was ONLY 565 miles . . . . hardly up to par with some of you hot-shoes. We ran thru snow and 34 F, near Kalawna, BC, and 104 F near home in Oklahoma. NAFO was a great time, and we look forward to 2010. Thanks everyone! Phil

Hi Guys. A late reply. I had some log-in issues. Anyway, we got back to Omaha without any issues on Sunday evening after a hot and boring ride across western Nebraska.......

Just got home from NAFO with the "OR lads and Seattle boys scouts" via;

Golden CO, Thermopolis Wyoming, Great Falls Montana, Alberta (Cananda), Castlegar BC, to Federal Way WA.

Total miles 3800, Mov average 67.2 MPH, no awards, but so close.

Good to meet new friends, especially our CBA president, DC :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Made it back to Virginia OK:

7/27 - Golden, CO to Kansas City, KS; thought I was riding through HELL, 99 -103 temps, no trees, no shade, and a constant HOT cross wind out of the south.

7/28 - Kansas City, KS to Mount Vernon, IL (was scheduled to go to Moorehead, KY); Torrential rain and lightning from Kansas City, KS all the way through St. Louis, MO, not fun, slowed my progress eastward quite a bit. Once in St. Louis the sun and heat came back with a vengeance, back into the upper 90's and humid! I got to Mount Vernon, IL and had had enough, paid too much for a hotel room there and the pool was closed (can't get no respect).

7/29 - Mount Vernon, IL to Luray, VA; Well hell, the GPS said 14:56 to home in Virginia Beach but only 8:20 to Luray where my wife and youngest daughter were having their vacation without Dad, so I crashed their party. The look on their faces was priceless as I walked up the walkway to the pool (mom hadn't been checking here voice mail all day) :blink:

7/30 - Luray, VA to Virginia Beach, VA; went horse back riding with my girls in the morning and had a blast! Man those horses sure fart and poop a lot! Took a nap and then headed back home by myself around 3:00 PM. Dufus (thats what I call my GPS) said 4:25 hrs to home using the shortest time routing. I said to myself this stupid GPS has lost its flipping ROM, but damn, I made it back home in 3:44 hrs. thanks to my trusty I.C.R.M (Intra Continental Road Missile) the FJR and some liberal applications of the right hand velocity modulator. Got back just a nad shy of 8:00 PM.

Total trip Summury: 5287 miles covered, 7 new states visited, average speed for total trip was 23.5 mph (Dufus at it again), max speed was 103.3 mph, Highest elevation 14,387feet asl, lowest elevation 11 feet asl.

NAFO 2008 was a blast, see y'all in 2010 somewhere in my neck of the woods.

V.

Wow, there sure are a lot of people I didn't get to meet!

Made it back this afternoon. What a great event. A huge thanks to all who put out a huge effort to make it a success.

I did a ten state loop for the trip for a total of 4,014 miles and a moving average of 51.4 MPH. A lot of effort went into avoiding straight roads, but there's a bunch of them out there. I got speed shy following my performance award coming into Colorado. On the way home, I joined Tim and Joe (Alaska bound) for a while (up into Montana) but I had enough of the hot weather and headed west. Just before parting company we did a great stretch of road with lots of twisties and a reasonable speed limit.

It was a wonderful event and trip but as Dorothy said, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home"

Made it back this afternoon. What a great event. A huge thanks to all who put out a huge effort to make it a success.
I did a ten state loop for the trip for a total of 4,014 miles and a moving average of 51.4 MPH. A lot of effort went into avoiding straight roads, but there's a bunch of them out there. I got speed shy following my performance award coming into Colorado. On the way home, I joined Tim and Joe (Alaska bound) for a while (up into Montana) but I had enough of the hot weather and headed west. Just before parting company we did a great stretch of road with lots of twisties and a reasonable speed limit.

It was a wonderful event and trip but as Dorothy said, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home"
---

Welcome back!!...... sounds like a great quest... thats a lot a miles........ :rolleyes:

Got home safely last night. Had a great time and enjoyed meeting some of you. I made some new friends and I missed meeting some others. Oh, fwiw, Kansas sucks!

A lot of effort went into avoiding straight roads, but there's a bunch of them out there. I got speed shy following my performance award coming into Colorado. On the way home, I joined Tim and Joe (Alaska bound) for a while (up into Montana) but I had enough of the hot weather and headed west. Just before parting company we did a great stretch of road with lots of twisties and a reasonable speed limit.
So it wasn't just me....

Five miles short of leaving Colorado (westbound on 70) I noticed a CSP trooper laying in wait to "welcome" folks into His state.

I smell a poll....

Got home Sunday evening, just shy of 4000 miles in two weeks. No tickets, no accidents. We had a wonderful trip, taking a few days to get to Golden via the beautiful National Parks of Utah. After seeing friends old, and new at NAFO, Andy and I spent a week based in Vail, touring Colorado.

The ride home took us through Durango, via the Million Dollar highway. We spent a night in Flagstaff in a cheap and nasty motel beside a railroad track and paid handsomely for the privilege. The last room in town must be the most expensive one (especially when all the rooms are full in the preceeding towns).

Our last day was endured more than enjoyed. 500 miles of freeway riding in temperatures up to 109 degrees, ending up with the infamous LA traffic. The boredom was dissipated somewhat by a 'gentleman' who believed his SUV to be as fast and agile as a pair of bikes. He was proven wrong, but fought valiantly to show us otherwise.

Ride report and pix later.

Jill

Just discovered this is where I should have checked in. Left Sun. 7/20, returned Thursday 7/31, very late!

6,740 miles, 98 passes/summits; 50 passes/summits in Colorado alone! No tickees! two parts fell off, Throttlemeister

end-cap and saddlebag lock! I can handle that.

My long days only included 1007 mi opener, 925 in Wyoming including 9 passes, and an 860 mi finisher. But I got to ride fabulous roads, met several great people, swapped exaggerated tales, saw fabulous farkles. The Golden experience was just that!

After NAFO I got to ride Wyoming's Snowy Mountains, Ten Sleep, Powder River, Bighorn,(14A) Chief Joseph Byway, Beartooth Pass twice, Yellowstone to eastern WA near the Canadian border, to Tonasket, over the Cascades, down to Mt Ranier, Sunrise, Paradise and Twisty roads to Randle, WA, Mt St Helens, Hood, a sweet 1 1/4 lane road (42) ,Jefferson, Sisters etc. THIS WAS ONE OF THOSE RARE, RARE TRIPS WHEN I ACTUALLY GOT TO SEE ALMOST EVERYTHING I SET OUT TO SEE. Because I got up to ride at 4:30 and 5 am, I was over the critically high places before the afternoon rain.

Next time I'll have to share it with someone....if I find anyone crazy enough.

Please thank the whole crew for making this such a joy!!!

Alan

Home around 18:30 PDT yesterday. 5,912 miles (plus 300 miles or so of ferry boats). No major problems but this fellow's cousin did pause to eyeball us on Hwy 37A - saw this fellow from the "bear-walk":

PICT1070.jpg