Honda nc750x as second bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Anyone out there familiar with this bike? Makes sense thought wise for a lightweight local ride, but could not stand a gutless wonder. Like to hear from someone that has one, or has ridden one for a while. I like sitting on one but have not ridden one. Not in to DCT trans., back in the day 50-55 hp was pretty good, has about a 110 to 115mph top end supposedly, would not be for two up.

FWIW, not long back I had something of a predecessor to this: NT700. Equipped for touring, so somewhat heavier. Longest riding day: 800 miles. Took a trip from Whidbey Island to Loveland, CO and back. Spent lots of time about 80MPH in WY and MT without strain.

The NC700X is fine for commuting. Not much power, but incredible MPG. It doesn't have near the power of the other Japanese 650 bikes.

To make my own worthless contribution, my wife has a FZ-07 and it is a blast -- although it has rather small frame, making me feel like I'm riding a mini-bike.

Super Commuter I like the gas tank area storage, side and tail bags can be had. Would make a great first bike, second bike for shorter/city/commute.

I would rather have a dual-sport for a second bike. Would work for an only bike if you weren't concerned about performance.

Had a NC700x from 11/2012 to 2/2019, 49,000 miles. Traded it in for Versys-X 300. NC700x is jack for all trades, master of MPG. The the best at anything except tanks storage which I loved and MPG. After I got a FJR, I use it just as dual sport which was ok but 17" front cast wheels and weight had it issues. Did one cross country ride on it before I got the FJR. That was enough to state I would never take it cross country again and bought a FJR. Once hit 105mph, lots of low end torque. Hit rev limiter lots of times especially when passing on mountain roads. It is lighter than FJR but not as light at 300cc to 400cc bikes.

Everything which I have seen on YouTube and read. All give it a nod for an urban commuter. The Honda that is. If you want something to change things up with the FJR. Then I would steer you to a 2015 and up Versys 650. The power will not blow you away, but it handles very well in spirited riding conditions. A great bike for the money.

Everything which I have seen on YouTube and read. All give it a nod for an urban commuter. The Honda that is. If you want something to change things up with the FJR. Then I would steer you to a 2015 and up Versys 650. The power will not blow you away, but it handles very well in spirited riding conditions. A great bike for the money.
Or a Ninja 650, MT-07, or FZ-07 all with Givi side bags and a top case.

I had an NC700x for 5 years before I bought my FJR. It is a great all-around bike. As others have said it is a perfect commuter with 60-75 mpg (highest I got was 84, and lowest 48 - into a headwind across I-80), the storage where the gas tank should be is priceless, and it handles effortlessly. My only real gripe with it was the lack of top end (once you reach 75-80mph, there isn't much left), and that only mattered in long-distance highway stretches out here in the West.

I now have a Ninja 650r that I have turned into a bit of an ADV bike. The MPG is not as good, but it is very similar in handling and a bit lighter than the NC.

I have one bought it for local riding short trips after I totaled out a Gold Wing. I wanted something light . That being said I rode it to Alaska twice , one time to Deadhorse. You will have a hard time hitting 100 and get use to hitting the rev limiter. For local riding riding it gets around 70 mpg . It has been a trouble free ride.