Hostage of Photobucket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My PhotoFuckit workaround. See Pre Edit II As I've had time I've added this to the top of my 'How To' posts. When the snow flies I may add this to Ride Reports of Days Past.

Last edited by a moderator:
My PhotoFuckit workaround. See Pre Edit II As I've had time I've added this to the top of my 'How To' posts. When the snow flies I may add this to Ride Reports of Days Past.
Cool! So, it looks like each user will have to use one of those two browsers and download the add-on if they want to see the hostage photos.

I'm going to add those links to my signature.

Found the same "Photobucket fix" information on the Tenere forum. Using Firefox with the add-on, and all my PB pics are visible again.

Fix for seeing Photobucket pics

If you're using Google Chrome, go to the three dots on the right side of the screen and click them. A drop down should appear. Hover your mouse over "More Tools," and when the next drop down appears, click on extensions. Go to the link towards the bottom that says "Get more extensions." In the search box, type "Photobucket Fix," and hit enter. Click the install button and once it's done, you should be able to see photobucket pictures again.

For FireFox users, click on the three bars on the right side of the screen, then click on add ons. Click search for "photobucket hotlink" and click install. Same result.
--G

HyperPete published the website location for the "Fix" in this forum back on August 18. (I have been using it ever since then)

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/172794-photobucket-fix-for-chrome-and-vivaldi-web-browsers-and-now-firefox/

(Also referred to in this thread at that time)

I'm astonished that Photobucket hasn't managed to find a way to close that door yet. It has certainly made it more pleasant when going back to look at old threads. Great for Ride Reports but absolutely essential for "How To" articles. Unfortunately, there have been a number of authors who trashed their Photobucket accounts when the original ransom note was delivered by PB - those pictures are gone forever!

More Photobucket drama...

When I received the "kiss-off" letter that I quoted above, I responded to that email with the following:

So this is the end then? This is how you want to treat your loyal subscribers, the ones who have paid the subscription rates for years and kept your company afloat? Just boot them out to a useless "Free" account unless they pay your extortion of $400 a year, just so I can host and share my own photos on websites and forums?

No thanks.

I just received an (unexpected) response to that below:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. In regards to the email you received, we have decided to make an exception for your account. You will be able to stay on your current Plus 20 subscription and will not need to upgrade your account at this time.

As stated in our current Terms of Use, you will continue to be grandfathered into 3rd Party Hosting capabilities until the end of December 2018 or when your subscription ends in 2019, whichever comes last.

We apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience this may have caused. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this.

Sincerely,
Moss@Photobucket Support

More Photobucket drama...
When I received the "kiss-off" letter that I quoted above, I responded to that email with the following:

So this is the end then? This is how you want to treat your loyal subscribers, the ones who have paid the subscription rates for years and kept your company afloat? Just boot them out to a useless "Free" account unless they pay your extortion of $400 a year, just so I can host and share my own photos on websites and forums?

No thanks.

I just received an (unexpected) response to that below:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. In regards to the email you received, we have decided to make an exception for your account. You will be able to stay on your current Plus 20 subscription and will not need to upgrade your account at this time.

As stated in our current Terms of Use, you will continue to be grandfathered into 3rd Party Hosting capabilities until the end of December 2018 or when your subscription ends in 2019, whichever comes last.

We apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience this may have caused. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this.

Sincerely,

Moss@Photobucket Support
So they will delay giving you the punt for a year (maybe two)?

They have no one to blame for the outrage of subscribers. Photof*ckit set the expectation to with subscribers to use their service for free in exchange to put up with ads, now they want to charge for their service? Just the way they rolled this out made my decision easy to tell them to pack sand. Tired of all the spam they email me anyway. Fortunately all but a handful of the pictures I have stored on my server at home.

I downloaded the Flicker app to my IPad. Can someone explain now how I use it to post photos here on the forum? It's above me. I'm gonna sell my 06 and would like to post some pics of it. Thanks

dirttracker30 posted, obviously without searching the Forum:
I downloaded the Flicker app to my IPad. Can someone explain now how I use it to post photos here on the forum? It's above me. I'm gonna sell my 06 and would like to post some pics of it. Thanks
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/173211-tubular-handlebar-adaptor-for-fjr/?p=1381818

Note that Flickr stuffs a lot of unnecessary shit into their URL. You'll have to find the buried "https:/this_is_the_right_URL.jpg" and delete a lot preceding and following. Can't vouch for anything working from an iPad.

Well. Well. Well.

Photobucket finally woke up to realise they had stuffed up big time.

Photobucket Introduces New Management Team and Pricing Plan to Address Diverse Customer Needs and Re-establish Customer Trust

You can read the entire article here:
https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/05/17/1508498/0/en/Photobucket-Introduces-New-Management-Team-and-Pricing-Plan-to-Address-Diverse-Customer-Needs-and-Re-establish-Customer-Trust.html

But these two points (in bold) are the most relevant bits to us mere mortals...

Photobucket is now offering a new, competitive subscription package with an ad-free experience, storage and third-party image hosting for just $1.99 per month (or $19.99 per year) - which is 95% less than their previous image hosting plan. A free subscription option is still available to customers who do not require third-party image hosting.

As of today, all hosted images that Photobucket’s customers had lost access to last year have been restored.

Image already added

Very interesting. I wonder if they will ever overcome the customer HATE that resulted from their incredibly poor business decision?

If I am interpreting this correctly, while customers will have access to old photos, linked images will still not be available on forums unless the user pays the (far more modest) $1.99/month fee for third party image hosting.

I have moved on from PB. Still using Flickr and Postimage.org as free services and never rely upon these to be a permanent archive of anything. Just a means to facilitate posting relatively few images on internet forums. I would definitely go to a paid service (probably Smugmug) if I felt the need to have a (reasonably) guaranteed stable on-line photo repository. I don't typically post detailed technical articles or extensive ride reports so even an inexpensive paid service has little appeal if "free" is available.

Can't believe it took them this long to figure it out!

1.99 a month is only slightly more than what I was paying previously. (Actually it is $20 a year which is exactly what I was paying previously) Ill probably resubscribe just to maintain all of the photos that Ive posted here and elsewhere. Although I had start using Postimage.org, but have received complaints that people trying to view my inline photos are getting spam related to Russian mail order brides or some such. The photobucket people asked me what Id pay to have large amount of storage including 3rd party hosting and I told them I would pay what I had been paying previously. Looks like someone was listening

Edit- I just checked my account and it had already been reinstated at the same $20 per year payment schedule, with my next payment being in October 2018.

I also did some e-mail swapping expressing my unwillingness to pay a hostage fee and expressing my disappointment. I had been a paying subscriber for several years and was never completely happy with their website anyway. I went on to explain that they were The Most Hated website on the 'net and had been renamed Photosuckit on every motorcycle forum I knew.

I received some surprisingly gracious emails in return and I am now paying what I consider a very fair price for Photobucket's hosting service. I don't mind paying, I just don't want to be robbed.

Fred - $1.99 per month is more than $20.00. JSNS

Ive moved on to Smug Mug and am pleased with it. Kind of wondering what Flicker will do for the company.

So it will now cost me $23.88 per year to preserve my older ride reports. Not sure its worth it.

Fred - $1.99 per month is more than $20.00. JSNSIve moved on to Smug Mug and am pleased with it. Kind of wondering what Flicker will do for the company.

So it will now cost me $23.88 per year to preserve my older ride reports. Not sure its worth it.
Im not strong in math, but Im not that weak minded. The deal is $1.99 per month or $19.99 per year paid in advance. Although a lot of the free users feel they got screwed, I guess they got what the paid for. In my case, I never did get booted although they threatened to, and now it appears to be back to status quo.
I still think PB with a reasonable subscription is far easier to deal with than the alternatives. YMMV