How can you clean sticker residue from a map case window?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat L

TwoWheelExplorer
Reaction score
Both of my tank bags previously had stickers on the map window. When the stickers were removed, they didn't come off all the way and left a mix of paper and glue behind.

I've tried cleaning with warm water and soap. No luck. How can you clean surfaces like this without scratching them?

Goo Gone.

330332.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you clean surfaces like this without scratching them?
Something like this. They use it to remove grease and wax on paint surfaces and find it eats through stuff like glue too...and doesn't haze the surface unless you go crazy. Used it to remove the warning sticker from the tank.

I get mine from a local paint business (automotive kind...not latex kind).

Soak in WD40. Amazing stuff.

See my post here.

[edit] Dr Rich posted it just as I was ... [/edit]

Both the goo be gone and wd40 work great.. wd40 is basicly fish oil.. another fluid that usually works is lighter fluid but you might be agble to just rub the area with you thumb. Just keep on pushing in one direction or another and soon you will end up with the gum like glue in one spot that you can just pick off. Water with anything will not work but a strong citris cleaner will have enough oil in it to do the trick also.

The WD40 is prolly fine, but I'd be careful with Goo-Gone on soft plastic. That stuff can be harsh. Someone already mentioned it, but for stuff like that, I use lighter fluid. It works really well and isn't quite so "corrosive."

... WD 40 is basicly fish oil..
Vandy:

Sorry to nit pick, but there's no fish oil in WD 40. Actually, the formula has been under tight wraps since it's inception. Though we don't know exactly what IS in it, we do know that fish oil is not one of the ingredients.

The following copied from the WD 40 website:

"Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.

Fact: Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish."

However, I highly recommend WD 40 for removing goo and glue.

Gary

darksider #44

Citric acid is the safest and most awesome adhesive remover ever invented. There are commercial products for just this, but I'd bet a squirt of lemon juice would be the ticket here.

edit:

Now that I look at ScoterG's pic, I see goo gone has citric acid. I bet you don't have any of that in the fridge!

Rapid Remover is the professional level product used for adhesive removal by sign and graphics shops. I had a shop for 27 years. It has a much higher concentration of the active ingredient, citrus solvent, than what you get in consumer products like Goo Gone. There's no comparison. Here is their web site with listed vendors and you can get it from Amazon. It isn't cheap but for occasional use the 32 oz spray bottle would last you the rest of your life.

removerimage.png

Many product advice advice already...

I put my side case reflective stickers on and had many bubbles. I figured the stickers were a

loss, but picked up "Sticker Off" and "Sticker On" from CYCLE GEAR... Stuff worked great. I was

able to remove/reapply the same stickers. Been on for 2+ years.

bummer on the no fish oil in wd40.. not that it isn't in there but I now have to retrain my brain to remember something that I thought was otherwise and my brain is about as reprogramable as a wooden stick. :confusedsmiley: :confusedsmiley: