How do you like the Power Commander V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you have installed the PC5 would you do it again?

• Total voters
I have had two PC V . The first one had a corrupted memory. This has been replaced. I find the PC V to be very smooth compared to the PCIII. Probably due to the extra fuel column. I also have the autotune, I have fitted toggle switch for switching between store base map or autotunemode. You can also have 2 different maps, or separate fuel maps per gear. There a.y with

Running a PCV with map supplied by FuelMoto. 40 mpg (US) and smoothed out the surging and lean throttle issues. Would do it again for sure. Thinking of adding a switch so I can use two maps on the fly. I don't have AutoTune.

Just installed it last week. It did resolve the low speed throttle "jerky" feel, and overall smoothed acceleration (most notable when accelerating out of a corner). The difference helps you become more confident out of corners, and smoother riding overall. I have the autotune but have not yet added a switch to swap maps.

I'd do the following upgrades (in order of priority) before I did the PCV/Autotune, however: tires (PR2's), suspension, seat, heli risers (or MCL).

How does the PC-V comare to the PC-III? The FJR I am buying has the 3 on it already.
The PC III is very good. It solved my jerkiness on off throttle, but I found that there was a slight buzz around 4000rpm, but with the PC V this has been virtually eliminated. I can only assume it is because the PC V has an extra fuel column which helps smooth the fuelling transition between fuel cells in the map.

Btw I have a PC III for sale- gen 2 offers?

Andy

Took the plunge and installed PC V last Saturday. My impression after 150 miles are: smoother idle (although Dynojet says PC won't do anything for the idle), less surging in 1st 2nd and 3rd, overall the bike is smoother and I think that the engine doesn't seem to be working as hard as it did before PC V. Vibration may have been reduce a tad, was hoping for more. My bike is stock and so I am using the map that Dynojet loaded. Pretty sure that I disconnected the O2 sensor, followed the harness back to a small black plug just aft of the throttle position sensor. Is it worth the effort to run the PC V software and check out the TPS, speed and gear calibrations? I know there is a smoothness map for PC III, is there one for PC V?

Took the plunge and installed PC V last Saturday. My impression after 150 miles are: smoother idle (although Dynojet says PC won't do anything for the idle), less surging in 1st 2nd and 3rd, overall the bike is smoother and I think that the engine doesn't seem to be working as hard as it did before PC V. Vibration may have been reduce a tad, was hoping for more. My bike is stock and so I am using the map that Dynojet loaded. Pretty sure that I disconnected the O2 sensor, followed the harness back to a small black plug just aft of the throttle position sensor. Is it worth the effort to run the PC V software and check out the TPS, speed and gear calibrations? I know there is a smoothness map for PC III, is there one for PC V?

Yes, you want to check and verify that the throttle position sensed is actually 0%. One thing that was not really clear, is if it is not, you do the calibration with a dead engine. This is different from those that have a PCIII. I wouldn't worry about the gear positions.

EDIT: I switched from a PCIII to a PCV with autotune. I have had two short rides on it now. I don't know how much affect the autotune has on it. I did not ride the bike with just the PVC installed without the autotune so I cannot compare the PCIII to the PCV directly. But the overall effect is a smoother ride with similar power.

Last edited by a moderator: