How hot are your factory heated grips?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The grips are in series, so they each get the same amount of power. But the electrical system on the Gen-II has issues, so if they got hot, but no longer do better than 'warm' you might want to be checking out grounds and such . . .

BramFrank, yes I was thinking the same thing although I have installed a couple of harness's that cover some of the spiders to prevent such an issue. I also tested that as one of my first things when the issue started. When I took the bike in the first time they wanted to do the recall, but I told them not to worry about it because I already had the harness on there to remedy the issue. On the second trip, I told him to go ahead and throw the recall harness on and inspect the spiders. He said all looked good, but he put the harness on anyway, so "HOPEFULLY" it's not a ground issue. When I get a minute I may do some more testing on my own, maybe a direct connection to the battery to see how hot they get.

The ground for the Gen II OEM grips is pulsed through the ECU........ and yes, I would recommend taking that ground to a constant ground.