How much weight from the FJR can I reasonably reduce?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman0

Reaction score
I start to look for a recent FJR, may be the 2014. I have been riding since 1996. The only thing I'm concerned is the weight. I'm riding a Honda CBR-1100XX which is about 550 lbs wet. I'm not really sure I can handle another 100 lbs more (due to health reason), but I do really really like the 14 FJR. I tried to sit on a FJR in the show room and it was definitely a lot harder just to stand it up from the sidestand comparing to my Blackbird (and that was with the fuel tank empty). We'll see.

I'm wondering how much weight I can reduce from it? For example, by removing the 2 hard bags and replace the exhaust with a lighter one (and to the extreme, by filling up the gas tank with 1 gallon less = 7 lb)? Is it reasonable to hope to cut 50 lbs off?

Thanks.

Not much. To do so would probably result in you having a bike that isn't what the FJR was meant to be; a sport-touring bike with side bags will be heavier than a sport bike like a CBR.

You'd be better served getting a bike designed to your needs than to buy an FJR and try to make it something it isn't. The drive shaft alone is a weight that would be reduced by picking a bike with a chain drive. Maybe a Sprint-ST? Or add bags to your CBR?

The FJR wet weighs in at 638 lbs.

The side bags...12 lbs each

One gallon of unleaded...6.4 lbs

Exhaust cans ...10 lbs each.

These weights may not be exact, but close enough.

All totaling a gross weight reduction of 50.4 lbs approx.

What the replacement cans weight is an unknown.

I hope this helps.

A few more pounds can be shaved by using a Lithium-Iron battery, and the comes off the high-front area of the bike where it counts. Also, don't forget to use block-off plates and get rid of the AIR system.

The FJR is not heavy to ride, but it can be a bit top-heavy if it gets off balance at a stop. I kind of agree with Bounce that you can find a bike that is lighter but is not a ST. A Ducati Multistrada weighs 494 wet. That is a lot lighter, but you might not find it easier to ride or stand.

What's the point of getting the FJR and removing the side bags and fill less gas? most that get the FJR and add more weight with farkels. The FJR feels a lot heavier when your trying to roll it around but once you get moving it feels a lot lighter, you may want to look at the VFR.

Last edited by a moderator:
The jackhole i bought mine from went nutz with a 1/4 inch drillbit..

Shit! I can't find the pictures now.... Suffice to say the 45 million holes he drilled only shaved off an ounce or two.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the inputs. I already have 3 Givi bags on my Blackbird. I just found that the 2014 FJR is more attractive so I hope to at least ride a few months with less weight until my health improved and also I hope to get used to the weight. My Blackbird was configured to do ST duty so I'm not a stranger to sport-touting.

And for those in California, how does it do in daily commute and splitting lanes?

Appreciate all.

Thank you!

Lane splitting???

All I can say is...... Hold onto your ass if you happen to be following Fairlainer!

The guy is the lane splitting king.

And for those in California, how does it do in daily commute and splitting lanes?
Appreciate all.

Thank you!
Not too bad. I just fold in one mirror and go at it. I always ride without the side bags, just use a tank bag. I will actually put the side bags on for the western riders roundup. That will be my once a year.

Oh, and I reduced about 1 once by not putting the center bushings in my forks. LOL

I ride with the bags every day, and I split lanes every day. All the time. If the handlebars can fit, the bags can fit. If there's not enough room, I don't go. The space will widen out in a couple of seconds.

Buy an FZ1 or something similar. If there was really a way to reduce the weight of the FJR any sigficant amount, people in this community would have done it 5x over. Really, when you take things apart, the bags don't weigh that much. The pipes aren't un reasonable, an empty gas tank weighs what it should weigh, and a full tank will take a rider 250+ miles. The plastics are not over heavy, nor are the seats, wheels or fasteners.

The bike is nearly bulletproof and shaft driven. The shafts, motors and frames are heavy. Overly heavy? Not for their size, but a 145hp bike with a 1300cc engine that is stable at speed and can carry significant weight needs parts that are stout. The ABS system adds weight, as does the AE stuff.

For real weight savings, buy a different bike.

Nobody ever suggests a really effective weight-saver that actually increases the base horspower:

Take out the two counter-balancers. All the hardware combined must be around 25-30 pounds, not to mention the horsepower it takes to spin those suckers. Is it gonna vibrate more? Sure, but nothing like a V-Twin.

Have I done it? Hell no...what a stupid idea! If I want to ride a lighter bike, I park the FJR and jump on the ZRX.
biggrin.png

Nobody ever suggests a really effective weight-saver that actually increases the base horspower:
Take out the two counter-balancers. All the hardware combined must be around 25-30 pounds, not to mention the horsepower it takes to spin those suckers. Is it gonna vibrate more? Sure, but nothing like a V-Twin.

Have I done it? Hell no...what a stupid idea! If I want to ride a lighter bike, I park the FJR and jump on the ZRX.
biggrin.png
rocketman0, GalaxyBlue and BeemerDonS cannot thank you enough for starting this FJR weight reduction thread. Adam and Don want to solve our serious ongoing FJR performance problems! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

DSCF0767.jpg

I replaced the exhaust system on my '05 with a Muzzy 4 into 2 into 1 system that replaces the entire stock exhaust. The header pipes are lighter than stock and there is no catalytic converter, so there is that weight savings. And, there is one muffler rather than two, and that one is also lighter than stock. I haven't put it on the scale, but I'd guess it saves about 20 pounds over stock.

That said, reducing the weight of the exhaust system removes weight below the center of gravity so it will not help with lifting the bike off the side stand. In fact it may make it a little bit more difficult.

Overall I don't think you be able to reduce weight enough to make the bike feel light when sitting still. It feels light and relatively nimble once rolling, but it is in general a heavy machine.

Rocketman, You could start w/ an '03 FJR (less weight due to no ABS, no front pocket, and smaller front discs), then remove bags and pipes and PAIR (already noted).

Lastly, go on a diet and lose a few lbs, and NEVER carry a passenger. Overall, that is exactly what I try to do.... (except the diet).
rolleyes.gif

Here's my two cents on the subject. About what it's worth. To me it's weight well spent, low and balanced, steady in the winds.
I became inexplicably confused when I read that. It took me a minute to figure out why- you started with lbs/hp then switched to hp/lb without inverting the numbers.
Thanks for catching that. I have corrected and improved the numbers. As momma always said, don't operate heavy machinery or perform complex equations and try and type at the same time when enjoying a cold beverage from south of the border.