How much weight from the FJR can I reasonably reduce?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may want to consider a Suzuki Bandit1250, 2007 or newer.

A lighter/smaller Sport/Tourer "standard" type

About 500lbs and a half fairing.

EFI.....6 speed tranny, but chain drive.

Later models I think 2009 and up came with hard bags too and you can order hard bags for the earlier models.

Add about 25lbs with the hard bags...but replace the stock can and you lighten it up a little.

I traded a 2007 for my 2008 FJR.

I put about 45,000 miles on it and not a single issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd do it Howie.. Just need somebody to leave their bike with me for a weekend.

I'll just tell 'em I cammed it for them.

Hey Andy?? I forgot to put the water back in your carburetors... Drop it off when you get the chance

I'm wondering how much weight I can reduce from it?
How much do YOU weigh?

I'd think that you could quite safely reduce that weight and the bike would continue to work just fine.
wink.png

I'm wondering how much weight I can reduce from it?
How much do YOU weigh?

I'd think that you could quite safely reduce that weight and the bike would continue to work just fine.
wink.png
That was my first quick thought, and is something I'm actually working on (40 lbs the past year,) but it has nothing to do with things like lifting it off the sidestand, or shoving the thing around the driveway or garage, and I think that's what he's looking for.

And I have to agree with everyone else here that there's not much to be done about it. It's a big bike. At least it's not a big steel bike.

Well, MCN shows the FJR ES at 675 wet. They show a 2014 Kawi Ninja 1000 abs at 512.5 wet, plus bags. No shaft. BMW lists the K1300 560 wet, no bags, w/shaft. I think the Kawasaki Ninja would be a great, lighter sport touring bike for you if you don't need the shaft drive.

FYI - you don't really feel much weight of the FJR at all when your doing what the bike was designed for --- Riding It !!

Keep Moving.... No Problem

Well, MCN shows the FJR ES at 675 wet. They show a 2014 Kawi Ninja 1000 abs at 512.5 wet, plus bags. No shaft. BMW lists the K1300 560 wet, no bags, w/shaft. I think the Kawasaki Ninja would be a great, lighter sport touring bike for you if you don't need the shaft drive.
Dancer, you are posting "Common Sense in the Land Of The Shaft Drive Snobs".......this CAN NOT CONTINUE!!!

Most of these pukes are too lazy and cheap to oil a chain, yet they'll spend $800 on a seat. There's no talking to them.

Dancer, you are posting "Common Sense in the Land Of The Shaft Drive Snobs".......this CAN NOT CONTINUE!!!

Most of these pukes are too lazy and cheap to oil a chain, yet they'll spend $800 on a seat. There's no talking to them.
So Steve-O, what's your point?

funny-thinking-baby-tv-elmo-cute-pics.jpg