How To Avoid Monkey Butt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkirk

Reaction score
B) Lets hear some wisdom on the proper under garments for long rides in hot and cold weather..

I tried some dirt bike padded under wear was to hot and confining. Need more air or padding ?

Thanks, Dan.

Guy I roomed with at CFO, Trinibob, had some Monkey Butt powder he swore was the answer. has tried this and that, this stuff did the trick.

Guy I roomed with at CFO, Trinibob, had some Monkey Butt powder he swore was the answer.  has tried this and that, this stuff did the trick.
OK, Rad, I'll bite -- Where does one get "Monkey Butt Powder"? :search: :reading: :search:

Thanks, Pete, that was fast. However -- I see Body Powder, Foot Powder, Baby Powder, Lotion and Cream, but I don't see no

"Monkey Butt Powder"

Heck, I even looked under "Testimonials", and didn't see it mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Smeggy on ST.N, Monkeybutt powder is like "10,000 gnomes massaging your goolies". :)

Linky

monkey_logo.jpg

For long, hot trips I like biker shorts with the chamois liner. Not very manly though when you need to piss at a truck stop.... :ph34r:

Gold Bond Extra Strength has, as I remember just about the the same ingredients as "Monkey Butt" powder is cheaper and easier to find in just about any pharmacy.

As far as the LD Comfort shorts they work better than bicycle shorts because they have a fly making "pit" stops easier.

NYPete

Underarmor "Hot" for hot weather. I also have a pair of Addidas and Nike undershorts that work much like Underarmor, but are not as tight. All three work great.

I wear just the Underarmor shorts under my mesh pants in the summer. In the cooler season, I have a pair of very light sweat pants that I wear under my heavier riding pants. I very rarely wear any type of denim jeans under my riding pants since denim is not very comfortable on the bike IMO. Very binding.

I have started using a three layer system. I wear under armor heat gear shorts (or other streatch fit synthetic wicking shorts) beneath under armor loose gear shorts over which I wear jeans or dockers or other long pants. This is my year 'round approach.

I also use gold bond and MBP as needed but the need for powder has been greatly reduced since switching to my wicking system.

The key is to keep the area cool and dry. For me, heat and perspiration are a deadly combination leading to MB. For many MB starts with irritated hair follicles and some choose to remove hair in that area as well.

With my roadcrafter on, standing in the saddle for a few minutes provides enough ventilation to dry out the nether regions on most hot days with this set up.

Gold Bond J&J Baby Powder seem to work as good as Monkey Butt Powder. Have used bicycle shorts, Under Armor and LD Comfort Shorts and all work great if you adhere strongly to those with NO SEAMS on the seat. LD shorts are a little thicker but work great. B)

Another key is to avoid seams around the cheek area as much as possible
Which is exactly why I can't figure out who the hell thought it was a good idea to run a big hunk of piping under my cheeks on the Corbin saddle. It gets to be like spikes after a while. Pretty soon though, there won't be any more of that.

Another vote for padded bicycle shorts! I usually wear them under an UnderArmor loose fit pants under my "Stich for warm weather riding.

From my file marked more information than you really wanted to know about Monkey Butt...

Most medical experts say that saddle sores are actually boils caused by skin bacteria that invade surface abrasions. Remedies have come a long way from the era when riders would put slabs of raw steak in their shorts to cushion the abraded area. * * *Keep clean. Always wear clean shorts for each ride. If you seem susceptible to saddle sores, you may find it helpful to wash your crotch with antibacterial soap and warm water before lubing up. Dry your skin well first.

Strip quick. After a ride, get out of your sweaty, germy shorts as soon as possible. The environment down there breeds bacteria and encourages them to enter abraded skin. Then shower or clean up with soap and water. Dry well and put on loose-fitting clothing that allows your skin to breathe. For underwear, try boxer shorts. The tight leg bands of briefs cut across the junction of your glutes and hamstrings, right where many saddle sores develop.

Sleep in the buff. It keeps your crotch dry and free of clothing contact for as long as you’re in bed.

...the above from How to Solve Saddle Sores

By Fred Matheny of www.RoadBikeRider.com

Additional info you wish you did't need...

Lubricate to prevent Monkey Butt. Abrasion breaks the physical barrier, and preventing it is the reason for good bike shorts. Lubrication is sometimes helpful too. I recommend Desitin. Yup, the diaper rash stuff. Some advocate bag balm (there seems to be a whole cult of folk medicine around bag balm, actually) but I'd say best avoid it: it softens skin, which is just what you don't want.

If your on a multiday trip and come down with a bad case of Monkey Butt try Preparation H ointment. No, not for that reason. Prep H works on saddle sores because it shrinks swollen tissue and soothes pain. Apply it five minutes before slathering on your Desitin or alternative cream and putting on your shorts. Also try it even when you off the bike for the night to ease the pain.

...alright, I'll step away from the key board now...