How top heavy is the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
point of order: ALL tip overs happen at slow speed (zero mph being included in "slow").

when a tip over happens at medium to high speeds it's called a crash.

Hmm...an FJR and an enduro. Who would have thunk it ;)
DSC06944.jpg

Brent said:
Hmm...an FJR and an enduro. Who would have thunk it ;)

DSC06944.jpg

I agree, an '04 FJR and a DR650 are a well rounded combo. :)

point of order: ALL tip overs happen at slow speed (zero mph being included in "slow").
when a tip over happens at medium to high speeds it's called a crash.
Yah, putting your foot down at more than 5 mph or so on an FJR is just a good way to hurt yourself so inseam length isn't relevant at over that speed :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sid,

Have you looked at an '07 Wee Strom/ABS? For a returning rider the ABS option should give you a greater piece of mind. I have a DL1000 as well as a DRZ400S that I also enjoy, but, if I was to get another Strom, it would definitly be the 650, for it's fun factor, and lighter weight. It may not be as fast as the DL 1000 but it has 12 second potential all the same. The enduro style handlebars offer excellent low speed control as well as being easily replaceable with aftermarket bars, should you wish to do so. There are plenty of crash guards/bash plates available for the Stroms as well. I would rather ride a 650 twin than a single, particularily at highway speeds.

My buddy rides a BMW GS650, while finely finished, it has plenty of pecularities of it's own, particularily hard starting in cold weather! :angry2:

You can also easily adapt the seat/ride height to suit your needs with the large amount of aftermarket parts available.

Either way, best of luck with your choice, and make sure you practice your emergency riding skills in a safe location!

Sid,Have you looked at an '07 Wee Strom/ABS? For a returning rider the ABS option should give you a greater piece of mind. I have a DL1000 as well as a DRZ400S that I also enjoy, but, if I was to get another Strom, it would definitly be the 650, for it's fun factor, and lighter weight.
+1

The DL650 Baby Strom is just a little bit heavier than my 06 FZ1 and makes less than half the horsepower :blink: , but I'll still never forget how much fun it is to ride. I came so close to buying it based on the smile factor, and it's 64 mpg fuel mileage alone. On the other hand, the litre Yamaha has great big fun built in also, but it is much less forgiving in it's power delivery, and can get you into trouble real quick, and I don't just mean with the Law! :dribble: The rider sits slightly more laid over on the bars of the FZ1 with some pressure on the hands, more similar to the FJR than the Strom. It's as upright as a trail bike.

Suzuki builds an excellent 650 in it's own right. It's fairly comfortable, especially with a seat upgrade, and is very road worthy and extremely reliable. It can easily do off road stuff without a problem, too, so it won't restrict your adventures as much as my pure street Yamaha does. It also hauls two "normal" sized folks well enough if necessary, so it all boils down to personal preference.

The 07 Suzuki 650 V-Strom ABS will be a winner in it's class for sure. :yahoo:

Roger

It sounds like I should re-look at that Suzuki. Perhaps the seat and frame have been slimmed some to cause less spread of my legs which would let me be more comfortable with getting my feet down.

It sounds like I should re-look at that Suzuki. Perhaps the seat and frame have been slimmed some to cause less spread of my legs which would let me be more comfortable with getting my feet down.
Everyone I have met with a DL650 has been VERY happy with it.

I am torn between the FJR and BMW boxer. I am tempted by the new BWM 800ST but, a few options and bags and it is going to cost me more then the FJR. The BMW Boxer's are very tempting and I have considered a GS1200 but, with hard cases and spoke wheels I'm looking at a heck of lot more money. I can't see myself doing much serious off road work so, the while I like the general GS1200 platform it is hard for me to get over the price.
I'm thinking a FJR and Kawasaki KLX-250S for the same money might be a better overall choice for me. The little 250 is a no brainer except for that darn itty bitty gas tank and no load carrying capacity. What are they thinking when you break the back end adding a buddy can for gasoline?

The FJR appears to offer a high torque power band which is HUGE on my list of wants. It has healthy horsepower too but, I want good torque down low and no dead spots in the RPM range. Do I really want to pass someone without downshifting? Probably not but, being able to just pull out into the passing lane and hitting the throttle is nice.

I am concerned that that my 32 inch Levi inseam is too short for the saddle of an FJR. If I am on my toes too much and the FJR has a tendency to be top heavy it will do me in. I can see the boxer engine putting a lot of weight down low which is a huge bonus for me. If I don't put a top case on the FJR, how top heavy is it going to be? How do I quantify what is too much for me personally?

FWIW, I went through the entry level MSF course and nailed all the aspects of that class. Low speed figure 8's on a Honda CRF200 were relatively easy for me even though they were really hard for a lot of the class. That soft suspension and tall profile made the figure 8's harder I think then they would have been on that little 225cc twin that some of the other students were using.

At under $14K, the FJR with cases is lot cheaper then any BMW option I have. The price difference will pay for a lot of farkles, training, and more protective gear to supplement what I already own.

Is this a reasonable consideration for me? Is the FJR too much for a returning rider who has demonstrated good skill on a little enduro bike? Is it so top heavy or tall in the saddle that I risk hurting myself in parking lot maneuvers?

TIA!

Sid

When I came back to riding, after taking a few years off, I bought a Kawasaki Z7-S. It's a 750cc version of the FZ6. I rode it for about a year to "re-tune" my riding skills. I'm really glad I did it. It made it easier when I made the move to a bigger bike. I had less work to do while learning to handle the bigger bike.

As far as fit, I have a 32" inseam also. The FJR feels great with the seat in the low position. I can stand flat footed with my boots on. The bike handles extremely predictable, and nimble.

Get what you feel comfortable on, but don't forget, it's been a while since you were on a bike so don't rush into it too fast. Get your mind back in the riding mode before you try a bigger bike. You'll thank yourself for it.

Doug

The big, powerful and slightly porky FJR is a superb long distance motorcycle, but....a lot of "first" bike, so to speak. The Yamaha FZ-6 (owned 2) is a light, fun to ride bike with plenty of power, when revved. Torque? What's that??? None the less, the bike will move! The lil Kaw 650 twin would probably be an excellent choice, given your circumstance, too.

The singles all leave, IMO, a lot to be desired for seating comfort, but both the DRZ 400s and DR 650s are very good thumpers. The 650 especially has plenty of power. IMO, it is overall superior to the weakly suspended and wooden braked KLR 650.

Once you feel comfy with handling a big, powerful bike the FJR is excellent. Of the 78 bikes I've had so far, none has been closer to "perfect", for me, than my '06 FJR. Now the '03 FJR I had.....hot, hot, hot...but only above 80F; merely very warm above 70F. Problem sure was fixed with the rengineering that was done on the '06 FJR; ride and handling improved, too. Have fun deciding...and ride safe! DFO :)

Thanks everyone! I have decided that the FJR is too much of a learning curve for this returning rider. It is too much motorcycle for me to really have fun on initially and that's the main reason I ride. I'm looking at a small twin or possibly a big thumper that would serve as a second bike once I get my motorcycle skills where they need to be.

Sid,

I'll put my 2cents into the mix. I love my FJR and like many others came back into the arena after an absense of several years. The bike is quite a lot to handle and as you may suspect, when stopped is unstable for one of short stature, especially with a pillion on the rear seat. I have a 2005 (non-adjustable seat) and am having a custom seat made by Rick Mayer so that I can more easily and safely reach the ground. Here's my point, at a minumum, you need to sit on any of the bikes you intend to purchase. I always equated 'inseam' to that 31" measurement on my Levi jeans for pants length. Last weekend when I was fitted at the Chicago motorcycle show for the Mayer seat, they told me that my inseam was 28". They measure from the highest point in the crotch to your ankle bone. Ah ha, that explains why I fall over everytime I come to a stop sign. LOL ;) Looks like you've made your decision.. Good Luck and be safe.

I'm told over and over that the Suzuki V-strom 650 is the motorcycle for me. However, even though it has a lower seat height, it spreads my legs out so much that I am less secure on it then other motorcycles that are "taller" in the seat. I will never buy a motorcycle I can't sit on first for that very reason.

The Kawasaki Ninja 650R is very tempting because it is light and nimble and was built for riders like me. I'm not very thrilled with the sport bike'esque name and styling though so, I'm resisting that urge right now and I'm considering other options.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first recommendation is an FZ-6 (very similar to the Kawi Ninja with a more upright riding stance). I test rode one and was very impressed. Comfortable, light, excellent handling and lots of room to grow with a large performance envelope. Another recommendation is a Triumph Bonneville America. It is lightweight, handles like a dream and will cruise all day at 80. It is a beautiful classic as well. Windshields and saddlebags are available. You can still pickup an 06 for a little over $7,000 and change.

BTW - I have a 29" inseam and have no problems handling the FJR fully loaded with pillion and top case. Just get that riding skill and experience back first.

Personally, I don't care for the Suzuki wee-strom (650). It is a bullet proof and dependable bike but is very tall (taller than an FJR) and feels bulky for its displacement. It is not much lighter than the 1000 cc V-strom. Now the Suzuki SV 650 might be a different story. Try it out. I think you will like it.

You are going to have fun shopping all these bikes. Decisions, Decisions.

Anyway, have fun with the homework assignments we have been giving you! :rolleyes: