Idaho Moto Cop Blitzes Another Biker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Referring back to the original post, this happened to me a few years ago crossing the Bay Bridge during my morning commute: Suddenly a CHP (California Highway Patrol) bike passed me [SIZE=13.63636302948px]at warp speed [/SIZE]within a few feet . I don't know if it was "dangerous" or even "stupid," but I do know that it scared the livin' beschnitzle outta me.
ohno-smiley02.gif

It scared me two ways: 1. From surprise, and 2. Because motorcycle commuters during a typical busy Bay Area commute move more like gazelles than the herd of elephants around them (thank you, Silent, for the metaphor), darting around very quickly, and suddenly being in a very different place than they were seconds ago. So I shuddered to think of the consequences if at that moment I had elected to get aggressive with a lane change (not that I ever did that...much
rolleyes.gif
).

(But then I shrug and think I just got a taste of my own medicine, because just about any friend who ever learns I commute by motorcycle expresses the same fear that, "What if I'd changed lanes right when you were blah blah blah?", and I just smile and sometimes say "I know what you're gonna do before you do." No doubt the cop woulda said the same thing to me; and no doubt I'd a been just as skeptical as my friends when I say those words. )

Last edited by a moderator:
That cop should be reprimanded, it was an illegal pass for no good reason at an unreasonable amount of speed. The car in the left lane could have veered into the right lane, which is the direction you are "supposed" to move to yield to an emergency vehicle. There was no need for that. He was going to miss catching a speeder... Oh my.. the world would have ended.

So much whining.....

Get a grip, if I was a bike cop, I would push that shit to limits every chance I got.... especially since he wasn't smacked on the dick and given a Hardly to ride !!

Good On Him I say.... He blew by that magna before he could even have a chance to react, like a bullet from a gun...

The real culprit is that stupid Subaru left lane hog. If that moron subaru driver had reserved the LH lane for passing as you're supposed to then the motor officer would have had the space to make an appropriate pass in the LH lane. I think more left lane drivers need to get tickets. They pose the real hazard

EDIT, after watching the video a second time I realize now that I do not have enough video to judge the Subaru driver so harshly. They may have responsibly pulled into the LH lane to give the officer on the side of the road more breadth. Perhaps if the cruiser rider had done the same this video may not have become such an issue.

Moving to the left lane is not the right thing to do, when you see lights you are supposed to move right. I still say the officer was irresponsible.

Ah, come on guys, ain't you ever blitzed a cop?

If not, try it today - it's great fun.

:fuck:

Hugs n' Kisses

Moving to the left lane is not the right thing to do, when you see lights you are supposed to move right. I still say the officer was irresponsible.
In TX and some other states the law is, an emergency vehicle with lights on the shoulder, either move right and leave the left lane clear to give them room to work, or reduce speed to at least -20 of the posted limit.

If they are on the move and approaching from behind, then more right, slow and prepare to stop (interstates) or stop (other roads).

I'm not talking about after he was on the move with lights, I'm talking about when super cop was sitting under the bridge on the shoulder. You should move over for emergency vehicle pulled over and in some states it is the law.

I'm beginning to believe it is a national pastime to hate on Police Officers. They are questioned every day by people who have no knowledge of standard police practices. We as a society should give these guys a little latittude considering the job is inherently dangerous and tremendously difficult. We don't need to handicap these guys into second guessing themselves during a life or death situation.

In this case, there was no harm or foul. No one was injured and I'm sure this motor officer is very skilled, as most are. Emergency equipment was being used. This guy reporting it was some punk who wanted to throw a cop under the bus. And of course, this officers command staff will be more than happy to drive the bus over him, all out of fear of offending the PC masses. Give me a break...

This reminded me of a cop chase that went by me years ago; Driving along (in my car) in the right hand lane on a 2 lane highway, going through a 40 mph construction zone, the traffic had slowed to crawl speed. Suddenly, and I do mean suddenly!, some guy in a VW GTI blew by all the traffic in the breakdown lane at about 100 mph! My car shook from the blast of air. No sooner than I yelled out loud "what the ....? That guy's going to kill someone!", a State Trooper blew by as well in HOT pursuit. About 3 minutes later up the road, the VW driver was already hand cuffed and spread eagle on the trunk lid! I drove by pumping my fist out the sun roof!

I can't even imagine what the carnage would have been if someone had decided to pull into the breakdown at the wrong time.

I'm beginning to believe it is a national pastime to hate on Police Officers. They are questioned every day by people who have no knowledge of standard police practices. We as a society should give these guys a little latittude considering the job is inherently dangerous and tremendously difficult. We don't need to handicap these guys into second guessing themselves during a life or death situation. In this case, there was no harm or foul. No one was injured and I'm sure this motor officer is very skilled, as most are. Emergency equipment was being used. This guy reporting it was some punk who wanted to throw a cop under the bus. And of course, this officers command staff will be more than happy to drive the bus over him, all out of fear of offending the PC masses. Give me a break...
Sounds like the wagons being circled over on Officer.com every time there's something in the news. Regardless of the the circumstances, they lock elbows and bow up.

If only the police had the opportunity to critique all of us when we are doing our jobs. I wonder what they would say about the things we do. Of course our jobs are not usually done on the side of the road in full view of every wannabe expert that passes by.

I don't have a lot of patience for much of the crap that police officers do but since I don't want to do that job myself...

Since the LEO was riding a motorcycle himself, he had just as much to lose as the rider he passed if he couldn't perform the maneuver successfully. Personally, I'm glad the LEOs are out there maintaining adherence to traffic laws; if the cagers' incompetence was allowed to run rampant, who would be the most vulnerable? Motorcyclists... I'd rather tolerate an occasional "mistake" than do without them, just my 2 cents.

I'm beginning to believe it is a national pastime to hate on Police Officers. They are questioned every day by people who have no knowledge of standard police practices. We as a society should give these guys a little latittude considering the job is inherently dangerous and tremendously difficult. We don't need to handicap these guys into second guessing themselves during a life or death situation. In this case, there was no harm or foul. No one was injured and I'm sure this motor officer is very skilled, as most are. Emergency equipment was being used. This guy reporting it was some punk who wanted to throw a cop under the bus. And of course, this officers command staff will be more than happy to drive the bus over him, all out of fear of offending the PC masses. Give me a break...
Sounds like the wagons being circled over on Officer.com every time there's something in the news. Regardless of the the circumstances, they lock elbows and bow up.
If you haven't done the work, then you have no idea. I'm not saying I agree all the time. Your blanket statement of "regardless of the circumstances" is typical of the mentality I spoke about.

In Idaho, it is now "law" to move left when emergency/police vehicles are on shoulder. Soooo, according to Idaho the MC rider was in violation and should have been ticketed. Now how's that for an "instant analysis"? LOL My opinion (I have one just like everyone else.) No big deal. Rider was obviously unaware of what was going on around him, just like 98% of most drivers... (Evidenced by his "whoa" and his reaction. I would have been watching what the officer was doing after I saw him there running traffic control. Smith System Key number 3, "Get the big picture.")

In Idaho, it is now "law" to move left when emergency/police vehicles are on shoulder. Soooo, according to Idaho the MC rider was in violation and should have been ticketed. Now how's that for an "instant analysis"? LOL
Incorrect in my opinion. The Idaho law requires drivers to slow down and vacate the lane closest to a stationary emergency vehicle displaying flashing lights if safe to do so. The emergency vehicle was anything but stationary. ;)

The full Idaho law is here.

My opinion (I have one just like everyone else.) No big deal.
I agree!

I'd like to add, that I have a lot of friends that are Police Officers and I typically support everything a cop does (until a dashcam AND a jury proves he was wrong).

In this instance, I was thinking that if it was me that he passed on the right at that speed, and I did see him coming, I might have moved right into his path in an attempt to comply with what I thought was the correct action based on law.

Luckily no one was hurt, and it was a cool video though.

If he didn't ignite his lights or siren until after he passed on the right, imo he's in the clear.... Id be willing to suggest that the officer was smart enough to think ahead enough in that manor not to get other traffic that may pose a threat to his pursuit.

We weren't there, this is all sideline coaching