Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Also ran some wiring under the tank ... Used the NAPA asphalt heat shielding someone recommended...
I'm not sure what this heat shielding is, but if it's a sleeve over the wire, be warned that a wire is rated for a certain current with ventilation. If air can't move round it, it will get very hot at its nominal rated current.

Counter-intuitive perhaps, but it's better just prevented from touching very hot parts rather than totally thermally insulated. If it runs between the tank and the under-tank heat shield then it'll be fine.
At the current levels and wire gauges we normally deal with when it comes to farkles, heat buildup on wire that's enclosed in some kind of shielding should absolutely not be a problem whatsoever. I would be far more concerned about melting the insulation by touching a hot part of the engine than melting the insulation due to current loading. Properly sized wire, as well as properly sized fuses, should take care of things nicely.

The second benefit of enclosing the wiring is simply abrasion resistance. Let the shield get abraded instead of the actual circuit wire.

I found the following in my notes. I'm not sure where it came from, but I'll include it because it agrees with me. :p

"Current ratings

Most current ratings for wires (except magnet wires) are based on permissible voltage drop, not temperature rise. For example, 0.5 mm^2 wire is rated at 3A in some applications but will carry over 8 A in free air without overheating. You will find tables of permitted maximum current in national electrical codes, but these are based on voltage drop (not the heating which is no problem in the current rating those codes give). "

Thanks Brodie!

I received my harness today. Great workmanship! Going to install it just as soon as I get my bike back from the dealer. Coleman Powersports is performing the recall work on it now. They were nice enough to offer a 15% discount on service for the inconvenience so she's also getting serviced.

Oh and thanks for the TootsieRolls :D

Brodie,

I recently purchased and installed your wiring harness - thanks again - everything works fine.

I do have a question regarding the ignition switch recall: While doing the procdure, do you know if the dealer has to "undo" your wiring harness to install the new ignition switch? I think you mentioned that they had to get under the tank to do the switch - is that right?

Only reason I ask is that the only dealer I know of that is competant enough to work on my bike are anal A-holes and I could see them trying to say "well, we had to work around that relay harness so that added an extra hour of labor" kinda BS.

thanks

Brodie,
I recently purchased and installed your wiring harness - thanks again - everything works fine.

I do have a question regarding the ignition switch recall: While doing the procdure, do you know if the dealer has to "undo" your wiring harness to install the new ignition switch? I think you mentioned that they had to get under the tank to do the switch - is that right?

Only reason I ask is that the only dealer I know of that is competant enough to work on my bike are anal A-holes and I could see them trying to say "well, we had to work around that relay harness so that added an extra hour of labor" kinda BS.

thanks
Joe

Thanks for the feedback on your install.

I designed my harness with the anticipation that Yamaha would eventually issue a recall. That is why I used the exact same connector the ignition switch uses. It made it a direct "Plug N Play" deal, and totally reversible. Now all your dealer need do is R and R the ignition switch with the recall switch and leave the relay harness alone. Make sure they understand that before you hand over the bike to them.

And DOUBLE make sure they follow the instructions concerning extracting your lock cylinder from the old unit and install it in the new unit. The security screws for the lock cylinder on the recall switch are provided loose just for this procedure.
Good luck!

Brodie

Brodie,

thanks
Joe

Thanks for the feedback on your install.

I designed my harness with the anticipation that Yamaha would eventually issue a recall. That is why I used the exact same connector the ignition switch uses. It made it a direct "Plug N Play" deal, and totally reversible. Now all your dealer need do is R and R the ignition switch with the recall switch and leave the relay harness alone. Make sure they understand that before you hand over the bike to them.

And DOUBLE make sure they follow the instructions concerning extracting your lock cylinder from the old unit and install it in the new unit. The security screws for the lock cylinder on the recall switch are provided loose just for this procedure.
Good luck!

Brodie
Received the relay, very professional job, thanks again for providing this service. It will be going into my bike as soon as it warms up.

Just curious. Has anyone heard what the difference is with the recall replacement switch VS the stock switch?

I picked up my bike from the dealer yesterday and after a chilly ride home (38 degrees with no cold weather gear on :dribble: ), I installed the Brodie harness with no problems. I did not notice any obvious difference looking at the new Yammy switch but then again I did not attempt to remove and dissect it to see. I imagine at best there's been a redesign of the contacts to handle the higher current load or maybe the leads have been riveted in place instead of (or in addition to) soldering. Who knows. At worst they just replaced it with *another* stock switch.

Either way I am glad I have the harness installed now.

Just curious. Has anyone heard what the difference is with the recall replacement switch VS the stock switch?
I picked up my bike from the dealer yesterday and after a chilly ride home (38 degrees with no cold weather gear on :dribble: ), I installed the Brodie harness with no problems. I did not notice any obvious difference looking at the new Yammy switch but then again I did not attempt to remove and dissect it to see. I imagine at best there's been a redesign of the contacts to handle the higher current load or maybe the leads have been riveted in place instead of (or in addition to) soldering. Who knows. At worst they just replaced it with *another* stock switch.

Either way I am glad I have the harness installed now.
Covered quite thoroughly here:

Link to other thread

[SIZE=12pt]Ladies and Gentlemen, [/SIZE]
All but 2 of the 50 harnesses have shipped, I consider the second list closed.https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=111493&view=findpost&p=511226

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=111493&view=findpost&p=511226The list for the first 30 buyers
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=111493&view=findpost&p=511226https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=111493&view=findpost&p=511226

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=111493&view=findpost&p=519002

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=111493&view=findpost&p=519002The list for the second 50 buyers
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=111493&view=findpost&p=519002https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=111493&view=findpost&p=519002
Last night I ordered the components for the next run of 50 units. My price is still $50.00 a copy - plus shipping. I will ship UPS ground, unless instructed otherwise.

PayPal worked well for me this last run. The only hang ups were 2 more members were caught in an e-Check delay (funds must clear the bank before I am allowed to ship), and a few people neglected to put their Forum screen name in the comment location provided during checkout. I will continue to use PayPal. PayPal is a good system because you can pay by credit card, or your own PayPal account, and know your financial information is safe. You do not have to have a PayPal account to use the system.

As I said earlier, I will have them built and ready to go before I take any money. I will PM all of you to give you instructions for payment and shipping, hopefully within the next three weeks.

Important... Again please make your request on this thread only, my mail box is taking a beating.

The following is "the list" of members gleaned from this thread who expressed the desire to purchase from the next run of relay harness.

Get your order in early!
:rolleyes:

*****start of third run - 50 units*****

1 antirustbug - moved up from previous list

1 shipped - Big Shasta

1 shipped - c-zulu

1 shipped - fraler

1 terrebandit

1 shipped - Polarize

1 pass for now - bmwhd

1 shipped - reddog

1 shipped - kmkirlin

1 shipped - myzen

1 shipped - BwanaDik

1 shipped - FJRRider08

1 shipped - OkieBikerDude

1 shipped - rushes

1 shipped - Joe

1 shipped - dsmack

1 rddiehl

1 shipped - spyderbret

1 pass for now - CCook82

1 shipped - northsouth

1 shipped - Fz1Pilot

1 shipped - d6diesel

1 shipped - DaveT

1 shipped - racer

1 shipped - Millsaps2

1 shipped - GypsyGiuseppe

1 shipped - Gismo

1 shipped - flying junior

1 shipped - PhilMills

1 shipped - Deacon06

1 shipped - borrec

2 shipped - arefog

1 shipped - Lowcountry Joe

1 sportster

1 shipped - Nightshift

1 walter47111

1 shipped - Neil San Diago

_______________________________35

1 shipped - millinaway

1 shipped - lonerider

1 shipped - Krell

1 shipped - FJRBill

1 shipped - HDtoFJR

1 shipped - rfespinosa

1 shipped - FJJ'sR

1 gr8timendsun

_______________________________43

Brodie

edit: list updated as of 1/9/2009 @6:18 pm pst.

edit: list updated as of 1/16/2009 @3:32 pm pst.

edit: list updated as of 1/17/2009 @11:20 pm pst.

edit: list updated as of 1/27/2009 @11:50 pm pst.

edit: list updated as of 1/29/2009 @7:40 pm pst.

edit: list updated as of 1/30/2009 @3:50 pm pst.

edit: list updated as of 2/2/2009 @7:10 pm pst.

edit: list updated as of 2/9/2009 @10:48 pm pst.

edit: list updated as of 2/13/2009 @9:55 pm pst.

edit: list updated as of 2/17/2009 @10:37 pm pst.

edit: list updated as of 2/21/2009 @8:22 am pst.

Brian,

I'm still waiting for that rootbeer.
:drinks:

Brody,

I just received my ignition switch relay harness. Excellent work. You're good!

Thanks so much.

FJJ'sR

Not having time to read through the well over a thousand posts on this issue, and truthfully, not being concerned since I'm a Gen I owner, I'm risking to get slapped around for asking a question that's probably been asked and answered, but here goes:

Is there any good reason TO, or NOT TO, do the Brodie Relay Repair to a Gen I FJR?

I have gleaned from the massive reading I HAVE done that the issue seems to be a Gen II problem, but if it's a good preventative measure on a Gen I, I'm curious.

Is the circuit path for a Gen II that much different from a Gen I that the high current through the switch shouldn't concern a Gen I owner? Or is the Gen II switch simply a different, less robust design?

Okay -- slap away! Or if you prefer, wait for Friday for your answers. :)

Not having time to read through the well over a thousand posts on this issue, and truthfully, not being concerned since I'm a Gen I owner, I'm risking to get slapped around for asking a question that's probably been asked and answered, but here goes:
Is there any good reason TO, or NOT TO, do the Brodie Relay Repair to a Gen I FJR?

I have gleaned from the massive reading I HAVE done that the issue seems to be a Gen II problem, but if it's a good preventative measure on a Gen I, I'm curious.

Is the circuit path for a Gen II that much different from a Gen I that the high current through the switch shouldn't concern a Gen I owner? Or is the Gen II switch simply a different, less robust design?

Okay -- slap away! Or if you prefer, wait for Friday for your answers. :)
Howie,

That particular question has not really been addressed as far as I can tell.

Yes, the Gen1 has essentially the same configuration as the Gen2 as far as having most of the bike's electrical current running through the single pair of ignition switch contacts.

The difference between generations, and why the 1st gens are so severely under-represented in the failures, is not entirely clear. It could be that the total load through the switch is lower on the 1st gens. It could be that the switches (which are a different part number) are slightly more robust than those on the 2nd gens. One minor thing that I discovered that is different is that the glove box lock solenoid is constantly energized on 2nd gens, and only when in neutral on 1st gens. Is that the big difference? Very unlikely, but there may be a number of similar small changes that add up to a larger difference in current through the switch.

So, adding a bypass relay would sure seem to be good insurance indeed, even on 1st gens. Especially if you have added any farkles that draw additional current through the key switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howie

I have a stake whether or not you buy an Ignition Relay Harness, I won't deny that.

To be honest, I don't have any first hand experence with the first gen. FJRs, I personally own an '06. I've I installed them on an '07 and an '08. I have sent Ignition Relay Harnesses to several first gen. owners, and a couple of Canadians - 1 first gen. and 1 second gen. The Ignition Relay Harness will fit without modifying anything from Yamaha. It is a direct plug and play unit. Someone even called it an "Invisifarkle", cool. ;)

Several of the first gen. owners I sold to were having issues with their switch. I made it clear that my Ignition Relay Harness will not fix an ailing switch. All it will do is take the high amperage load out of the ignition switch and channel it through a sealed relay of sufficient rating to do the job - in spades! I've always said that if your switch is showing signs of failure - Get it fixed first!

The past few months I've sold over 120 of these units, a good portion to first gen. owners. In my humble opinion, I think they see value in my product.

When it comes down to it, it's your bike. It's your money. I can't tell you what to do - it's your decision.

If you decide to buy one from me, I will be happy to sell you one.

If not, that doesn't matter to me, as long as you are happy with your ride - that's what counts.
:yahoo:

I hope we cross paths someday, it's always good to meet and greet new friends.

Cheers!

:drinks:

Brodie,

I had the switch replaced on my 08 this past week at the dealer. I went ahead and installed the bypass relay harness yesterday. Now I can focus creative attention elsewhere thanks to your help. Did Yamaha properly redesign a heavier duty switch contact....is a question I won't have to ponder. Thanks

I want to add my kudos to Brodie for his terrific work on designing the ignition relay and providing complete details on how to build his device. Here's the note I sent him:

"Greetings. I want to thank you for providing the forum with clear and detailed instructions on how to purchase the materials and build your ignition relay switch. I built and installed one today and it works. About three years ago I experienced an ignition switch failure on my 03 FJR. This was well before the more frequent failures on Gen II bikes and before much was known about the causes. I let a Yamaha shop technician simply re-solder the broken wire and reinstall the original switch. I have been uneasy with the fix since, although it has not failed again. Now I can ride with much more confidence that I won't have another switch failure. And, when I replace my aging FJR with a new one I will take the relay with me."

Did Yamaha properly redesign a heavier duty switch contact....is a question I won't have to ponder. Thanks
We should know fairly soon. Brodie's sold 120 or so relays, so we will see how many of the remaining bikes fail that will have had their original switches replaced with the redesigned switch but that don't have the relay.

Actually, now that I think of it, whether Brodie's relays are the solution--and I do have one of them--is unproven. We'll have to wait and see if there are any ignition-switch failures in bikes with the relay.

Actually, now that I think of it, whether Brodie's relays are the solution--and I do have one of them--is unproven. We'll have to wait and see if there are any ignition-switch failures in bikes with the relay.
Actually, I think just the opposite...wait and see if there are any ignition-switch failures in bikes with new switch assemblies that don't have Brodie's relay.

ps: I just added my name to the list of Gen I owners that will have the Brodie Relay. I think it's cheap insurance, not to mention smart amperage management.

edit: PM and PayPal sent...Stick me on the list! MY GEN I WILL NOT FAIL!!

I was questioning the necessity of the relay with the new switch but am pretty much convinced that it is cheap protection.

I'm interested in either getting one or making one. I am capable of making one and like doin' that sort o' stuff, but not sure on my ability to get the right connectors easily up here in Canada. I've seen the parts list (and photo) and Salan10 mentioned that Brodie post up "how to purchase materials" but I seem to have missed that. I'll reread when I have time to try and find it.

Does anyone have a parts cost for this?

Is it not even worth my time to consider doin' myself (ignoring the fun factor?)

Was shipping to Canada any issue?

Is this community great, or what!!! Thanks Brodie!

I was questioning the necessity of the relay with the new switch but am pretty much convinced that it is cheap protection.I'm interested in either getting one or making one. I am capable of making one and like doin' that sort o' stuff, but not sure on my ability to get the right connectors easily up here in Canada. I've seen the parts list (and photo) and Salan10 mentioned that Brodie post up "how to purchase materials" but I seem to have missed that. I'll reread when I have time to try and find it.

Does anyone have a parts cost for this?

Is it not even worth my time to consider doin' myself (ignoring the fun factor?)

Was shipping to Canada any issue?

Is this community great, or what!!! Thanks Brodie!
Sorry I can't help with sourcing the connector here in Canada but shipping of the harness here was no problem. They didn't even confescate the Tootsie Rolls in the package. No duties, taxes or anything additional. It's a quick easy confidence inspiring fix.

I'm convinced that it's not if the ignition switch will fail but rather when. This solves that.

PS: Has anyone been reimbursed for a switch replaces before the recall?