Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Brodie. Got the harness in no time flat.

And thanks to BulletBrad for taking care of the install, so's ah didun't hav to git ma hands all durty.

Thanks, Brodie! Harness arrived timely and installation was very simple. It was the first time I had the tank up but that was worthwhile as it removed some of the mystery about what it takes to get to the plugs, etc. Now I have the switch recall and the correct solution both installed.

SOOOOOOOOooooooooooo I guess everyone has one of these by now, I was wondering what the overall

impression ?????

I check my shunts and goobed them with dielectric goob, this weekend over at Brodie's... all looked good and I am pretty confident that my

ignition switch is doing fine.

Thanks for your help Brodie....

B.

I am pretty confident that my ignition switch is doing fine.
Bookmark this post so you can remember it when your original IgSwitch leaves you on the wrong side of Reno, okay?

RH,

you forget, Brian's bike was the first one with my Ignition Relay Harness installed. Go back and re-read post #1. We used his bike for the prototype. At the time it had less than 8k on the clock with no symptoms of switch failure. If his switch fails due to heat, I've got some redesign to do. :unsure:

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty confident that my ignition switch is doing fine.
Bookmark this post so you can remember it when your original IgSwitch leaves you on the wrong side of Reno, okay?

RH,

you forget, Brian's bike was the first one with my Ignition Relay Harness installed. Go back and re-read post #1. We used his bike for the prototype. At the time it had less than 8k on the clock with no symptoms of switch failure. If his switch fails due to heat, I've got some redesign to do. :unsure:

Brodie
Yeah, I did forget and I prolly wasn't gonna wade through 425 posts to refresh my failing memory. :)

Brodie, If you have harnesses available I'd like one. The dealer has put me off on the switch recall, and reading some of the posts here I'm not so sure I want them screwing with my bike anyway

I don't run any heated grips, so my switch hasn't seen any increased load so far. I think if I take the load off it while it is fairly new I won't have to worry about the switch.

If you don't end up selling these, thanks for doing the research and sharing it. I'll send you a PM.

Brodie,

Thanks Sooo Much for the fine Relay Setup... I got it today.

[SIZE=24pt]For those who have GenI's here is my install that took about 30 minutes:[/SIZE]

PLEASE NOTE: I did not have ANY Switch problems...just installed this unit to minimize future difficulties just in case and to perhaps give my Ignition Switch some longer life.

Here is the Original Wires with the "X"

1OrigWiresX001.jpg

Here is the pic with the Relay Connected the "O's" is the Relay Connector... hardest part was getting the Original Connector apart:

2ConnectedO003.jpg

View 2:

3ConnectedO_2004.jpg

Then I had to find a Spare Metric Screw for the Ground here:

4GrndScrew006.jpg

I only have one question.... where do I put these sent in the package?

5TootsieRolls007.jpg

Again Thanks for such a marvelous product and YES, it did Start Up without a problem and hope this may help those who have GenI models. Now I have to Check the Main Wire Harness Connector while I am at it.....

Brodie,

good morning. I way back when got one of your harness units installed in my 06 AE. I had the ignition switch failure with it installed. I upgraded the switch under recall and kept the brodie harness in. shortly after I had a shunt ground total failure stopping all power flow. a new main harness was installed under YES and kept your harness. so far it is working ok. I am concerned that even with the brodie mod, is it likely that I will have another ground failure??

Please advise, thanks. I am planning to run the AE in the upcoming IBR and concerned about the reliability of the bikes power setup distribution design. I run lots of poer farles, but monitor my power output and it averages about 13.4 v

Brodie,good morning. I way back when got one of your harness units installed in my 06 AE. I had the ignition switch failure with it installed. I upgraded the switch under recall and kept the brodie harness in. shortly after I had a shunt ground total failure stopping all power flow. a new main harness was installed under YES and kept your harness. so far it is working ok. I am concerned that even with the brodie mod, is it likely that I will have another ground failure??

Please advise, thanks. I am planning to run the AE in the upcoming IBR and concerned about the reliability of the bikes power setup distribution design. I run lots of poer farles, but monitor my power output and it averages about 13.4 v

Hi Dave

I'm glad to see that your bike is back on the road. I think there is something you can do to keep the new wiring harness healthy. The problem in both cases is heat caused by electrical resistance.

In the case of the ignition switch, up to 50 amps were channeled through two very small contact points within the wiper area. These points are somewhat self cleaning due to the wiping action, however, when the switch is subject to the elements ( rain, road spray, dirt) it may not make full contact all the time. When the resistance becomes high enough heat is the result. With heat comes more resistance, which begets more heat, which begets more resistance... it's known as a thermal runaway. Unchecked it can melt the contacts.

In my case the plastic carrier melted enough that it hung up the contacts.

IMG_0032.jpg

In Don Carver's case the contact plate got hot enough that the solder holding the red wire turned plastic and the wire popped off.

Picture007.jpg

In the case of the Ground Shunts, I think there is a lot of amperage flowing through that shunt. It ties several negative wires to a single wire leading to ground. This shunt is also exposed to the elements, as well as engine heat. When they are new (clean) they work as designed. The problem is when they get aged, oxides form on the contact surfaces and impede good electrical flow. You now have another potential thermal runaway.

Mine were still clean and shiny, hence no melt down.

IMG_0393.jpg

Don's must have got corroded enough to cause the thermal runaway.

Burnt.jpg

When I first got my AE I disconnected every electrical connection I could find and coated the contacts wit a silicon dielectric grease. The reasoning was to block the effects of oxygen on the surface of the metal. If the metal stays clean then the connector stays fresh and cool.

This is the grease I use.

IMG_0400.jpg

I get it at Kragens/O'Reily auto parts store. In fact I use it on every relay I install in my Ignition Relay Harnesses. If you pull yours apart you will see it.

Spend an afternoon or weekend and service your brand new harness this way. Your bike will be more reliable.

IMG_0401.jpg

Dave, I don't see your ignition switch giving you any more problems. You have the recall unit and my Ignition Relay Harness. You have twice the contacts switching a fraction of the load.

:clapping: Do well on your upcomming rally.

Brodie

Brodie,

Can you anwer this question for me?

One thing I noticed since I installed your Relay system, my Turn Signals flash a little faster. Does this indicate that power before going to the Ignition Switch is now being diverted to the other electrics?

If so, this would mean there would be a lighter load on the battery/stator/ and charging system.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Brodie,One thing I noticed since I installed your Relay system, my Turn Signals flash a little faster. Does this indicate that power before going to the Ignition Switch is now being diverted to the other electrics?
I would say that the voltage drop through the small ignition switch contacts are now bypassed by the 70 amp relay in my harness. Less voltage drop = more power on tap for the bike's electronics. A quicker turn signal flashing would be a good indication of this.

Brodie

Brodie,One thing I noticed since I installed your Relay system, my Turn Signals flash a little faster. Does this indicate that power before going to the Ignition Switch is now being diverted to the other electrics?
I would say that the voltage drop through the small ignition switch contacts are now bypassed by the 70 amp relay in my harness. Less voltage drop = more power on tap for the bike's electronics. A quicker turn signal flashing would be a good indication of this.

Brodie
Brodie,

Again a Big Thanks! That's what I thought... and you just confirmed it.

Thanks Brodie. I finally got around to installing the harness. The tootsie rolls were a nice touch.

My dealer seemed so clueless about my clutch issue, as widespread as it seems to be, that I don't think I need 'em.

Thanks to this board, I took care of the clutch issue myself and with the load off the ignition switch now, I'm not going to sweat having the modified switch installed. My electrical knowledge tells me that putting the load through the appropriate relay is as good or better than the redesigned switch.

Dealer, schmeeler :lol:

Just so everyone knows, I have 20 more of these Ignition Relay Harnesses built and ready to go. My price is still $50.00 plus shipping (UPS Ground) for FJRForum members.

For you second Gen. owners I strongly urge you to get the Recall Ignition Switch. That said, my Ignition Relay Harness will fit all years of FJR bikes for US and Canada. I haven't had anyone from Europe or Australia buy one yet, but I bet it would probably work as well.

Brodie

Two Thumbs up for the design! it looks like it came from the factory! and love the plug and play design!!!

One suggestion however, add a relay protection diode across terminals 85 and 86, it's inexpensive (few cents) and greatly reduces the risk of relay failure