Ignition switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corvair

Reaction score
I need to replace my 2007 fjr ignition switch. Has anyone used the cheap replacement ones on ebay? Yamaha switches start at about $135.00 and the cheap ones on ebay start at $19.95.

I need to replace my 2007 fjr ignition switch. Has anyone used the cheap replacement ones on ebay? Yamaha switches start at about $135.00 and the cheap ones on ebay start at $19.95.
I assume that your switch is not the original? There was a factory recall for ignition switch that included 2007 model year.
Can't help you with ebay switches but I would likely get OEM. If you aren't sure whether yours was replaced, you can check with Yamaha - they can look it up by VIN.

I bought my bike new and it had the ignition switch recall done, but now that I have it out I wonder if it was really replaced? The switch doesn't have replacement screws with a head on them like they show in the yamaha parts breakdown that you need to install the new switch. The ones in my switch have no way to put on a wrench or screwdriver to remove it. I will need to drill out the bolts that hold the switch to the triple clamp. When the dealer did my recall did he have whatever tool it took to install the no headed bolts?

I bought my bike new and it had the ignition switch recall done, but now that I have it out I wonder if it was really replaced?
Not doing a safety recall is a BIG liability IF they didn't actually do the work...and assertion on your part. If they didn't or didn't do it right, I would suggest calling Yamaha North America Corporate in Cypress and talking with. I can't recall if they marked replaced switches with a new number or identifier or not, but there may be a forensic way to tell if it has or not....or at least confirm the claims the dealer has made to you.

Yes what Ross said. It has the yellow tape on plug end. Also the recall switch came with new screws that once installed the head brakes off leaving the tamper proof ones you see now.

When they did the recall on my 09 I wound up with a new ignition key. Were you able to keep your old key?? :unsure:
My '07 used the same key for ignition, gas cap, seat release and bags. I believe that the dealership was supposed to swap the lock cylinder from the old switch to the new one. (Only the electrical portion was at fault.)

I had an issue with the key becoming sloppy in the ignition on my 09t, madifficult to turn the key to the "on" position. I found top tree with the OEM off of a 2012 with low mileage(17k) along with the gas cap assembly and the seat release for $90.00 shipped off Ebay. I felt this was the better, easier way to go . No taking my bike in, etc. When I pulled the old top tree off I found the key had been replaced by the dealer previously , showing the yellow tape.Kind of amazed the ignition would get that sloppy in 47k miles. Oh well.

The NHTSA recall ignition switch kit has a different part# from the switch on the parts fiche. I bought one on eBay for around $50.