I'm the newest member of the crash club

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seventyss

Reaction score
Went down on the right side as I was leaving a gas station trying to avoid a cager. I had to pull the right edge of the driveway and came off the sloped side of the driveway. Have some pretty good scratches in the right mirror and saddle bag. As has been said bunches and bunches of times, it would have been way worse without the slider (which is a bit shorter on the outside edge). Some scratches in the Shoei RF-1100. I came through fine and again wonder if my leg would have been injured without the you know whats.

Paging Garald to the Paint booth!

I you want to have it fixed you may want to look him up in the members section and PM him.

Dave

Great you are OK.

I feel for you. All I know is it can be fixed, we take a little more work, and a lot more time to fix.

Were you in gear?

Hope you get squared away without too much trouble.

I am sure hard to see right now but you are lucky, and you and your family should be thrilled. Any wreck you can walk away from is a good one.

I'm begining to question the wisdom of $150.00 plus sliders in crashes.. I've seen enough pictures of bikes down at speed to wonder if the cost justify's em.. Plastic still gets trashed and needs repair then the sliders end up toast.. So tack that on the the bill..

I dunno... a low speed dump and 1/5th price TOG's seems like a more logical solution to me..

*Dream mode here* Conversation.... dude 1- Dude yer bike just fell over.. dude 2- Yeah but I spent $200.00 on fancy assed delrin and metal sleeves just some minor shit to the sidecase and mirror.

Next week..Dudes both's- Dude we both banged off each other doing twenty and crashed wicked..dude 1- Dood I know! Feck my bike is as fucked as yours! Dude2-Yeah I know dood.. I guess the delrin ain't up to the task..My $20.00 TOG's failed too.. But it's only $20.00 I'll by the beer.

Dude 1- Dood! ya are so fecking awesome!

Bite my ass ya naysayers. It's friday and they've sucked moist ass cheese as of late.

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about your mishap. How'd it happen? Were you doing a slow-and-go with a head check and then had to react? One thing I've figured out that works for me is full stops pulling out of businesses or when turning right at stop signs; this, combined with keeping the bike upright (no lean) and square. I figured that out after watching a guy pulling out of a bank doing a slow and go, lean, look, hit brakes, fall over.

One thing I've figured out that works for me is full stops pulling out of businesses or when turning right at stop signs; this, combined with keeping the bike upright (no lean) and square. I figured that out after watching a guy pulling out of a bank doing a slow and go, lean, look, hit brakes, fall over.
Glad you're OK with minimal damage, the first scratch is always the hardest! Listen to JB...he has it figured out here. I've seen more dumps at low / no speed when trying to turn or paddle around. The FJR is not very forgiving in these circumstances.

--G

I'm beginning to question the wisdom of $150.00 plus sliders in crashes.. I've seen enough pictures of bikes down at speed to wonder if the cost justifies em.

In all seriousness (I think you are being serious here :angry2: ) they help reduce the number of panels scratched in a simple zero-speed drop. Which has certainly been my most common (I wish I could say "least unusual") experience. Then the money is well spent.

But at any sort of speed (2 mph or above), you're probably right.

I've transferred the sliders from my old to my new. I suppose they are "free" because I lost nothing taking them off the old. Definitely worth putting on if they're free. And on the new bike, they don't (visually) stand out as much because of the "Smoky Grey" colour.

(Click on image for larger view)

[Edited to correct link]

In all seriousness (I think you are being serious here :angry2: ) they help reduce the number of panels scratched in a simple zero-speed drop. Which has certainly been my most common (I wish I could say "least unusual") experience. Then the money is well spent.
So tell me where they are superior to simple,inexpensive Tip Over Guards.

They do the same job as sliders for a tenth the cost when you simply, tip over... :unsure:

Just dumped mine today, searched this site for sliders and found this post. I was just gonna buy sliders but hadn't got around to it yet. I am sure they would have helped. Sucked having the bike laying on the plastic with water running under it.. Scratched the right side lower plastic, rear view mirror, bent break pedal, dented exhaust and the wind shield popped off but it wasn't damaged. As for me bent/broken ego, hurt back, neck shoulders and arms.

Heres what happened: Riding the back roads and had many water crossings all of which were no problem. Towards the end I came across another water crossing but this one had a concrete bottom - this was going to be the easiest so far (so I thought).. I stopped and looked it over, current was minimal and water was about 2" deep and the bottom had no rocks - bottom surface appeared smooth. I started my way across. About half way through the front wheel started to slide then the dam thing went down hard. I went flying, landed on my butt and back and the helmet slammed down hard. I slid for 20 feet in the water all the way over to the other side. I was laying there (with water running over me, in my helmet and filling my boots and heard the engine stop. After the initial pain I picked myself, stood there and was thinking to myself WTF just happened! Looked at the bike and it was laying on the right side. Walked over to the bike and could barley stand, the concrete bottom was like ice; it was coated with a thin layer of slimy, super slick moss. It was so slick I couldn't pick the bike up so I walked to a nearby house (lucky it was there because this was a remote area) the guy living there was nice enough to help me and didn't seem to mind getting his shoes wet. Packed up my plastic parts and decides to cut my ride short and headed home - seemed like the right thing to do. Lessons learned: Get sliders ASAP. Don't trust safe looking concrete bottom water crossings. You dry off quick without the windshield. And if you ever find your self in Missouri on Lost Creek Road at 38.735574,-91.293823 and you dump your bike over there is a guy there that will help you pick it up.

The purpose of sliders is not to protect the plastic or paint, they are meant to protect the engine cases. The big question is will they do the job? I know the sliders I have seem to be too high to protect anything. The ones that mount near or on the lower engine mounts would probably work alot better.

OES Delrin sliders cost $50.00. No idea what they will do at speed, I know they do the job at the speed of gravity..

So tell me where they are superior to simple,inexpensive Tip Over Guards.

They do the same job as sliders for a tenth the cost when you simply, tip over... :unsure:

What's a Tip Over Guard other than what is available as a slider for the FJR? Ok, I'm ignorant. :mda: So please educate me. :graduated:

FJR Goodies is the place for TOGs. The Tip Over Gaurd was designed to help save plastic scratches in low speed drops and is secured by one of the existing 6mm bolts on the fairing. It does surprisingly well at speed, but is not a replacement for Sliders. As Supertanker wrote, Sliders are to protect engine cases and allow you to ride home, instead of walk home.

Bust, :fuck: It's Saturday now.

If you really want to maximize your ability to ride home after a crash, (assuming you are up to it), TOGs, Sliders and Engine armor are key to your success.

There are two types of engine armor designed to protect the stator cover, a weak point in crashing as it grinds through and leaks oil, thus preventing you from riding home. One is a carbon fiber cover with kevlar underneath and is mounted with a semi-hardening adhesive designed to absorb some of the impact before relying on the abrasion resistance of the kevlar. The carbon fiber is just for appearance on the outside. I have this style and have crash tested it at about 35. It allowed me to ride home and I replaced it with the same. Cheap insurance. The Sliders also gave their all and did their job. The TOGs took some damage, prevented more, and the same set remains on the bike. You're still going to lose mirrors and the windscreen, in my experience.

Picture link CLICKY BikeJohnny is no more, but can be had from the manufacturer, Geelong Carbon Craft, in Australia LINK

Wild Hair used to carry it too, (I thought), but I don't see it on their site. Some other cool stuff though, and some Gen II TOG type units for waaaay more coin. Wild Hair Accessories

The other style is made of steel bars and bolted to various places. Stronger, but bulkier too.

Pictures and install directions HERE

Vendor - Racing 905

Just for Bust, but eqully useful for others that worry about low speed drops and slider replacement costs - Slider caps

OES Delrin sliders cost $50.00. No idea what they will do at speed, I know they do the job at the speed of gravity..
I have not crash tested my FJR (hope to never do that), but I have crash tested some sportbikes with hard plastic sliders on the track. Last one was my Gixxer at Barber last fall, doing 60 or 70 around turn 2. Bike slid on the right side slider for probably 50 feet before it went off track. Engine covers completely undamaged. Plastics not bad, they got roughed up actually AFTER the bike went into the grass and bumped the inside barrier.

Latest posts