In Search Of: The Perfect Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being 6' 4" and wanting a screen to deliver that calm quiet place for riding without ear protection I've experimented with quite a few screen options. I currently have a CeeBailies +6h +4w no flip which is the best I've tried to date. For me it could be a little higher and I'd like to avoid the slight back pressure I get with the screen fully raised. So after reading the Rifle recommendations here and reading their web page info I'm currently awaiting delivery of a +6.5"h +4"w no flip replacement. Their tilted mounting arrangement seems to cure the back pressure issue whilst still providing that calm bubble of air I want.
Hear's hoping.
Once you get some miles on the rifle I would love to hear your impressions.

for 1000 mile days I like the rifle.. makes for an easier day without all the turbulence and buffeting.. have tried the OEM touring and it isn't bad but the Rifle is the ticket.

IMG_3783.jpg

IMG_3635e.jpg

Around town I use a -3 Cee Baily which is still an improvement over the stocker.. clean smooth air.

IMAG0372.jpg

v-stream is working out okay for me. Quietness & improvement of the buffeting was noticeable.

I had no idea my motor sounded like it does, fascinating!

Windscreens.
They're the sole bane of the FJR's existence. The stock windscreen, for many of us, is worse, far worse, than no windscreen at all. Why did Yamaha design such an incredible machine, only to cap it off with the most turbulent, ineffective windscreen imaginable?

I have experimented with a number of windscreens now. In addition to forming a personal view of the OEM screen, I have also tried screens from California Scientific; the Yamaha Touring screen; and, now Cee Bailey.

Initially, I viewed the Cal-Sci windscreen very favorably. Compared to the OEM, it had a smoother airflow and was better than stock. After more use, I found it was still simply not good enough. One key gripe I have with the Cal-Sci screens, is that (Lexan, IIRC) the plastic they use has a slight milkiness to it.

My next purchase was the Yamaha Touring screen for the FJR. This was a definite improvement over the other two. +4" height compared to stock, it was narrower than the Cal-Sci. This provided clear improvement in turbulence while remaining narrow enough I didn't bake in warm weather (e.g. anything over 60F).

I found the Touring screen an acceptable alternative--really liked Yamaha's harder crystal-clear plastic)--but still more turbulence than I care for. I liked everything about the Touring screen...save for a 'tad' smoother airflow.

So, this weekend I installed the Cee Bailey I'd just received. It's also at +4 (trying to stay with the Touring screen's height). I will say, I wish I had gone with (for them) a +1 or +1.5" wider screen. It seems a tad narrow at top.

Yesterday was a very windy day as the latest cold front was approaching. A wider screen would've helped a bit more with the strong wind from the sides.

Regardless, I am excited now to do a longer evaluation of this screen. I 'think' I've found my last screen. Going into the wind at 60 MPH, I could comfortably leave my visor open 1/2" and it was pretty calm. On less windy days, it'll be very interesting to see just how effective the screen is. And, given a couple planned Iron Butts this season, looks like stress levels are going to be lower.

Thought I'd share. YMMV.
I have a Cee Bailey 4x2 and love it! Tall enough and wide enough giving a good wind break but streamlined and I still get 39+ mpg at 75 mph! I tried one, cannot remember the name, off a friends FJR and it had flares on the sides. I found the wind caught these flares and pushed me around more and my bike dropped mpg to around 32...that windshield moved a lot of air but it acted like a sail!

Love my 4x2 Cee Bailey!

I have a stock touring shield with Laminar lip and I am perfectly happy with it, wifey in the back has never complained either. I always look over the shield but just some cm or so.

QmA0k.jpg

Any one had any neck/shoulder soreness after going to the bigger screens like the Rifle?

I've run stock or Yamaha tall on all 3 of my FJRs and never had a problem until I put a Rifle +3 on last June. Figured it might be the helmet since I also got a new Nolan 104. Changed to a Nolan N90 and added 1 inch risers, but still in pain. I've used the Nolan 103 and older for years, and didn't have problems with my Scorpion or other Nolans until now.

I ride with the Rifle down mostly, but run it up to just before back pressure on windy rides. Neck hurts after 250-300 miles. I used to do 400-500 mile days with nothing but a sore ass. Hate to admit I am getting old, but it seems strange the pain started after the Rifle, when I rode 1000 miles to SW-Fog about 6 months before with a stock w/s and a Scorpion in pretty reasonable comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one that I haven't seen mentioned yet (and, of course, I'm curious) is the V-Stream. I have one on my Hondapotamus and like everything about it, from the strength and clarity of the polycarbonate to he airflow. Anyone have feedback with the V-Stream on the FJR? Lucille has the Touring screen, which may be a bit small for me. But I had so much fun on the ride home that I hardly noticed. Hope the OP get the input he needs!
I have a v stream on my gen 1. I don't care for the looks not sporty but does a great job blocking wind will remove when warm weather gets here.

Tried the V/stream, to wobbly at at speed and was a distraction, Tried the Cal-sci and still had some buffeting that I just could not come to terms with.. Put a Rifle on and haven't looked back since, I now have 10K plus and couldn't be happier.. I'm 5'10 and have used an Aria vector helmet and now wearing the Schuberth S2..

I'm confused about the Rifle set-up. I thought the tuning block was 1st Gen only. Angle optomizer 2nd gen? If I order a +1+4 will I need to buy the angle optimizer too?

I am 5' 11" and I run the seat in the tall setting. The factory shield has about 4800 miles on it. Harald let me try his Vstream and +0 +2 Cee B. screens. The Vstream was too much of a barn door for me personally. The Cee B. screen with the reverse flip was soooo much better than the stocker and still looked great on the bike, IMHO. Harald said that if he was to have just one screen he would order a +2+2 reverse flip Cee B. That is what I ordered. It is on the bike and it is GREAT. I went with the light grey. The shield is GREAT. Super quiet and no back pressure. I like this shield ALOT and would recommend it highly.

I'm confused about the Rifle set-up. I thought the tuning block was 1st Gen only. Angle optomizer 2nd gen? If I order a +1+4 will I need to buy the angle optimizer too?
From Rifle's website (see below). Mine is now on the way via UPS. I'll take some pic's of it when it arrives before I mount it. I'm looking forward to this shield as nearly all of my riding is long days at "spirited" speeds, because I live in the middle of effing nowhere
smile.png

"Note: The Rifle windshield system requires mounting with the Angle Optimizers (included).

We designed instead, "Angle Optimizers", when mounted onto the factory windshield mounts with our windshield solves all the major issues with the FJR—a more aerodynamically curved windshield, proper spacing for the correct amount of air flow behind the windshield and a windshield mounted at the most effective angle in the upper positions. One minor downsize is the Rifle Windshield System for the ('06- ) FJR only works with the Rifle "Angle Optimizers" and the "Angle Optimizers" will not work with any other FJR windshield."

What about the stock Yamaha touring screen. Some say it's 1/2" wider and 4" taller and other 2" wider and 1"taller. Are there 2 of them and/or are they comparing to 1st and 2nd Gen? I was thinking of mounting my MRA vario to it.

Does anyone know?

What about the stock Yamaha touring screen. Some say it's 1/2" wider and 4" taller and other 2" wider and 1"taller. Are there 2 of them and/or are they comparing to 1st and 2nd Gen? I was thinking of mounting my MRA vario to it.
Does anyone know?
My Gen II Yamaha touring screen was very good. 4 in. taller was just right for my 5'-11"

I'm 5'-7" and went with the Cee Bailey 3+ 2+wide. Love the quality of it and it not only works great for me, but I personally think it looks better than most. I would definately buy from them again. If I remember right, when I called them to order, they let me get the 3+tall which wasn't on the list. Thanks again CB.

GP

Got my Rifle yesterday. I can see why they charge more--the "angle optimizers" are quite a nice piece of machined work. Looks pretty straight forward to put it all together, but w/more fresh snow this morning I'm not in a hurry to mount it up. I'm happy with the bronze tint also--it's not too dark which I was worried about.

BTW GP, those mountains in the background of our pics are the same, just opposite--I'm on the West side in that pic, you're on the East...

Got my Rifle yesterday. I can see why they charge more--the "angle optimizers" are quite a nice piece of machined work. Looks pretty straight forward to put it all together, but w/more fresh snow this morning I'm not in a hurry to mount it up. I'm happy with the bronze tint also--it's not too dark which I was worried about.
BTW GP, those mountains in the background of our pics are the same, just opposite--I'm on the West side in that pic, you're on the East...
Rifle says their "angle optimizers" for Gen 2 ONLY work with THEIR shield. Is that true?

Ordered by CB +0+2 today and plan on mounting my MRA vario to it. Haven't heard of anyone doing this so I'll let you guys know how it works out.

"The Perfect Windscreen" is something I've spent a lot of time and money on with my FJR over the last few years and for me at least I can say I have finally cracked it.

For reference I am 6'4" with 34" inside leg and weigh 230lb.

For me the perfect windscreen is one that gets me into that calm quiet still air without having to look through the screen and doesn't create any back pressure on my upper back.

The stock screen is way to small.

I tried a VStream and it was to noisy with to much back pressure.

Next up was a CeeBailies +6 tall/+4 wide flip, quiet but excessive back pressure.

So I tried a CeeBailies +6 tall/+4 wide no flip, quiet but still to much back pressure. Added an MRA airfoil to it but no better.

And the winner is!.......A Rifle at +6.5" tall/+4" wide with angle optimisers.

For me the perfect screen. Quiet, no buffeting, no back pressure and don't need to look through it.

It's taken a while and a lot of cash but its been worth it. Thanks to SkooterG for his praise of Rifle screens, that's what finally sent me in the right direction.

Latest posts