Installed Admore lighting in Givi top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfjr

Reaction score
I had previously installed Kisan's lit license plate holder (running, turn & brake indications) https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=1 LPB-16

but felt that with the Givi top box so much more in a cagers line of sight it was probably worth the install of the Admore product

https://www.helmetheadcyclegear.com/cgi-bin...ex.cgi?pid=8858

The installation is pretty straighforward and had the opportunity to use posi-locks electrical connectors for the first time - a big +1 here!

I was so impressed with the posi-locks I removed my original Kisan connectors and reconnected with the posi's.

Here are a few pix if the final product. I still need some double sided tape anchors to secure the wires inside the box. btw I had read comments on a board that the wires get in the way of securing youre gear in the box. Once I have them taped down I can't see how that is going to be a problem.

Sorry these shots were taken in daytime so not much contrast for the lights.

normal

givi-101.jpg

right signal

givi-102.jpg

right signal

givi-103.jpg

tapping the wiring harness - cable from under the Premier Mounting plate enters in space between seat & bodywork

givi-104.jpg

wiring inside Givi box - needs to be secured to wall

givi-105.jpg

cable trained on underside of Premier plate with black ties

givi-106.jpg

the connector

givi-107.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice set-up CTFJR.

Wild72 & I have looked at doing something similar for the Givi 46 Top Box.

Thanks for the pics.

Sport

Very nice!Looks like something I should do. I saw a simpler setup like that at the EOM and even that was noticable.
I'm hoping you noticed it on the back of my Givi on the ride home :D

I installed mine about 3 weeks ago. A little bit of a pain in the ass removing the top cover 'n stuff, but take your time and its easy. Fairly high quality product too.

Yer right one is crooked. :)

Nice. Be wary of the 3-pin connector Admore uses -- mine crapped out pretty soon after installation, with lots of slack on both sides.

Also, if you didn't use 2-sided tape for the whole LED strip, you'll be back in there in a month or two when the LED strips fall. The 2-sides tape admore provides is crap, and not enough of it.

Yer right one is crooked. :)
Nice. Be wary of the 3-pin connector Admore uses -- mine crapped out pretty soon after installation, with lots of slack on both sides.

Also, if you didn't use 2-sided tape for the whole LED strip, you'll be back in there in a month or two when the LED strips fall. The 2-sides tape admore provides is crap, and not enough of it.
ng you are right, the tape they provide is not sticky enough and there sure isn't enough of it. Not a big deal to redo that as all you have to do is pull the reflectors off (4 screws). It was just surprising to me that what seems like a quality product would fall short in just a small way.

The verdict is still out for me on the connector - I usually ride with the box on to carry odds & ends so I don't expect to take it on & off very often..

was one of the first on the FJR sites to install their led in the reflector on my E460 iirc almost three years ago. I bought another controller and added it to the Wee Strom. I can now get the same functions, running lights, turn signals and brake lights on both bikes. Just trade the top case from bike to bike. Well worth the $$ and effort to be seen especially at night.

Hi there, thanks to customer feedback, we are increasing the amount and strength of two-sideed tape on the back of our LED light panels. Any customers that would like additional 2-sided tape, please contact us ([email protected]) - we would be pleased to provide at no charge. In terms of the connectors, we have had very few problems with these connectors and they have served us personally as well as all of our customers very well over the years. If you have a problem with your connector, please contact us and we will look after you. Our customers are #1 - always have been, always will be! Please keep in mind, that while we strive for perfection, perfection is elusive and all that we can do is keep trying. If anyone out there has found perfection, please let us know! :victory:

Hi there, thanks to customer feedback, we are increasing the amount and strength of two-sideed tape on the back of our LED light panels. Any customers that would like additional 2-sided tape, please contact us ([email protected]) - we would be pleased to provide at no charge. In terms of the connectors, we have had very few problems with these connectors and they have served us personally as well as all of our customers very well over the years. If you have a problem with your connector, please contact us and we will look after you. Our customers are #1 - always have been, always will be! Please keep in mind, that while we strive for perfection, perfection is elusive and all that we can do is keep trying. If anyone out there has found perfection, please let us know! :victory:
Thanks for the update Dave. I solved my problem with the tape by reinstalling it with the original tape and adding some silicone rubber adhesive along the edges in a fine film. After it set up in 24 hours the light strips are rock solid. I actually did the same for the wiring in the box - used tape to hold it in place while the silicone set up.

Its a good product, I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the update Dave. I solved my problem with the tape by reinstalling it with the original tape and adding some silicone rubber adhesive along the edges in a fine film. After it set up in 24 hours the light strips are rock solid. I actually did the same for the wiring in the box - used tape to hold it in place while the silicone set up.

Its a good product, I'm happy with it.
Glad to hear that you solved the problem ctfjr! With what you've done, I don't think those LED light panels are going anywhere now! Also glad to hear that you're pleased with the product - we've sold many hundreds of this specific light kit for the E52 case (many to FJR owners) this year alone and we've received some great feedback from our customers. As always, we're here to help anyone out with any problems they may experience.

I take it then, y'all guys who have made the install, that the Givi-supplied connectors are OBE'd by the Admore harness? That will be a relief; I have been through two mounting plate connectors in just about a year with the E52 topcase. I rarely remove the topcase from the bike, so the reported lack of robustness in the Admore three-pin connector should not reveal itself anytime soon.

I had to very same problem here in Southern California with the light strip falling off with the heat here. I went to Home Depot and bought the extra strength two sided tape and so far it has held. My main worry is the connection on the inside of the box. I wish this connector was a 90 degree elbow on the inside of the box instead of sticking straight out.

The ones you want are PosiTaps. However, I highly recommend soldering that stuff.

Next, the admore 3-pin quick disconnect connector just can't stand up to the abuse of this application, IMHO. The straight harness inside the box is a bad design, there's no clean place to put it where it won't get damaged. Also, the connection itself doesn't stand up to frequent connections/disconnections, and in my experience, doesn't live long when the box moves around alot. I do ride a decent amount on less than paved roads and in the rain, so I'm probably a bit harder on this than most.

I don't like the penetration point at the rear of the box, I think that's bad as well.

So, my recipe for a bulletproof setup:

1) Buy admore's kit. It's the best thing going.

2) Get a full length piece of 2-sided tape for the LED strips on the sides of the box

3) Cut/Solder/Shrink all the taps to the bikes wiring. PosiTaps are good, but are not perfect.

4) Cut the ends off the 3-pin connector. Buy a 3-pin weatherpak harness and replace admores with weatherpak. If you go the extra step and solder after you crimp (weatherpak owners know what I mean), it's rock solid, never fail.

5) For your penetration point, drill out the center of the knockout on the box. Use a 1/4" grommet or weather seal as you see fit. I used hot glue in a tape mould.

And finally, DO NOT attempt to use admores kit with the givi-branded quick connect harness. It's CRAP. Save yourself alot of frustration and skip it.

I have added 3M Solas reflective tape on top of the white plastic to give more visibilty when the lights are not on, it really turns bright red with any light source.

Marcus