IPhone alternative to SPOT Tracker?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
Starting a 3 week ride next weekend from Tucson to Key West and return. Reluctant to re establish my SPOT account and paying for tracking etc, if there are some reasonable cell phone alternatives since there is likely to be coverage for the entire route.

Has anyone used another system recently that is easy to set up and use?

Thanks!

Starting a 3 week ride next weekend from Tucson to Key West and return. Reluctant to re establish my SPOT account and paying for tracking etc, if there are some reasonable cell phone alternatives since there is likely to be coverage for the entire route.

Has anyone used another system recently that is easy to set up and use?

Thanks!

Remote-area coverage is the best argument in favor of Spot, IMO. If you're going to be on main routes with good phone sevice, why not save the high cost of Spot. Never liked that you don't have a limited-time subscription option.

I dropped Spot and went with Life360 app on my cell phone. Wife has the same app on her phone and we can see each other's position every few minutes [as long as there is cellular coverage]. You can also login via the Life360 webpage and see the same thing. Works well [where there's cell coverage].

I used SWconnect before going with Spot. SWconnect worked fine. SPOT is a little less hassle for a little more money.

Why not just use the "Find my Friends" App from Apple? You just have to establish who's able to see it.
This is what I was going to suggest if you have an iPhone. Pretty basic but free. Just set up who can see you and for how long and you are good to go.

Remote-area coverage is the best argument in favor of Spot, IMO. If you're going to be on main routes with good phone sevice, why not save the high cost of Spot. Never liked that you don't have a limited-time subscription option.
Like SacMike says, if you're gonna be out in the dirt or uninhabited areas then a SPOT is the better choice. SWConnect and Spotwalla is a great combo if you're in good coverage areas (like most of the time when you're on an FJR) - not only is it free (we should all donate actually) but if I remember correctly the refresh rates are higher.

You set the rate for "dropping bread crumbs" in SWConnect; for Interstate work or long passages on a single highway, I use 10 minute intervals -- the longest. For urban areas, switch to 5 minutes -- the shortest.

You can adjust how many points are displayed in Spotwalla, using the "% fill" variable on the Trip Adjustment pull-down menu.

The only times those two have failed me were my own fault: forgot to turn on SWConnect.

Last edited by a moderator:
SWConnect FTW!

It will buffer the GPS breadcrumbs until you get back in service. The only thing it won't do is allow you to make an SOS call via satellite when you aren't in cell range. For that you need a real SPOT device.

However, SWConnect is free and spotwalla is free. SPOT is NOT.

you could also try ROAD ID ..... app in the app store and android I believe. You can send an e crumb to your body guards. If you stop for more than a set time by you , The body guards will be notified on where to pick up the body via text message, FREE FREE FREE .

Warning,

I believe it also gives them your speed........ FYI

Spotwalla allows the option: show/hide speed. If I give Mom the link, I hide the speed.

Looks like I will check out SWConnect in the next day or so and give it a try. Should have populated areas for the route so I expect cell coverage to be adequate. Really liked the SPOT system for my long ride a couple years ago.

Head to the app store and then SpotWalla Ralph, you'll be all set!

We've used SWConnect (riding the box) in BFE Oregon and it provides a great track. You know how spotty cell coverage is in central Oregon.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Spotwalla lets you keep all your trip data too. I use sw connect most of the time.way out of coverage I turn on the spot.