iPod Holder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick_W

Reaction score
I have been looking for a way to carry or mount my iPod to my bike, yet keep it protected from the weather AND maintain some sort of user interface.

I started by just throwing it in my tankbag. Problems: tank bag by itself is not waterproof and the iPod tends to move around making access on the fly a might tricky.

Next I picked up a Pelican i1010 case from the local Bass Pro Shops.

It comes with full padding and a weather-resistant headphone jack built in. Problems: no on the fly access and no way to mount the box to a RAM mount without drilling, gluing, or velcroing the box to a RAM mount. There is a carrabiner on it though, so it can be clipped to a jacket with a D-ring.

Now for the latest, and so far best, gadget - a RAM Aqua Box.

There is a place on the back of the box to "punch out" in order to run the wires (I used a drill), then there are four sets of "baffles" to route the wires through. There were no instructions and the baffles are not knocked out, so you'll have to do that yourself. I used the short (4" or so) speaker extension from the Pelican i1010, otherwise your headphone wire will have to stay routed through the box once you attach it to the RAM-B-202 aluminum base. That could have been thought out a little better, but I made it work.

The case has a "Flex-Lens cover" that allows you to see the screen of the iPod and also will allow you to stop, pause, play, fast forward, or rewind on the fly. The only downside, and one which I can live with at least for now, is the inability to change the volume or otherwise use the rotary dial of my iPod. I wasn't able to do that with gloves on either, so the iPod must require skin contact or something for that function.

I took a short 25 mile ride this afternoon and it worked like a champ. Supposed to rain later this week so I'll give the weather test then.

I agree - the Aquabox (medium) was the best solution for me when I was using my iPod for music. One word of warning - when traveling on the highway at ~4,000 - 5,000 RPM the vibrations transmitted to my harddrive based iPod Classic caused it to lock up. My solution was to get some seat foam from a fabric store and cut out an iPod shaped hole. I cut out a block of foam to fill the AquaBox and I was able to place my iPod in the foam. This, combined with using an old rubber mousepad between the RAM mounting plate and the AquaBox reduced vibration enough to NEVER have the iPod freeze, lockup, skip, or have any other problems on my bike.

Tres excellente'.

I have fiddled and diddled with various ways to run a decent MP3 player on the bike with mxed success, finally settling on just the 4GB of SD card available on the Zumo 550. Being able to pack my entire music collection along for an extended trip would be most welcome. PLease do report on the weatherproofness... (izzat a word?)

Was out for about 5 hours yesterday, what a great day to ride. I get tired at times but my Zune(yes I`m one of the few folks to buy one) helps keep me alert. I just don`t have easy access to turn it off and on. This looks perfect, the deminsions check out ok too. I`m a noob, what do you need to mount it. I saw what was listed but was confused as to where they mounted the base.

I agree - the Aquabox (medium) was the best solution for me when I was using my iPod for music. One word of warning - when traveling on the highway at ~4,000 - 5,000 RPM the vibrations transmitted to my harddrive based iPod Classic caused it to lock up. My solution was to get some seat foam from a fabric store and cut out an iPod shaped hole. I cut out a block of foam to fill the AquaBox and I was able to place my iPod in the foam. This, combined with using an old rubber mousepad between the RAM mounting plate and the AquaBox reduced vibration enough to NEVER have the iPod freeze, lockup, skip, or have any other problems on my bike.
Fuzzy,

My Aqua box came with three pieces of foam - .12, .25, & .50 inch I think (at least those are the thicknesses listed as replacement foam.

My ride home today varied from 55 - 85 mph with no ill effects. Hope it remains that way.

Was out for about 5 hours yesterday, what a great day to ride. I get tired at times but my Zune(yes I`m one of the few folks to buy one) helps keep me alert. I just don`t have easy access to turn it off and on. This looks perfect, the deminsions check out ok too. I`m a noob, what do you need to mount it. I saw what was listed but was confused as to where they mounted the base.
You have to have a RAM mount on the motorcycle first - I am currently using a Migsel RAM-compatible base that I bought from www.cyclegadgets.com

Imagine my Aqua box mounted in place of the GPS in this photo and you see exactly how I have it mounted.

RCB-MG-FJR.jpg

I'm currently using a standard 3" arm, but I also have a long 5 1/4" arm on the bike not in use. I still need to throw my tank bag on to see how it will work.

I like the Migsel base because whatever is mounted there is stationary.

You have to have a RAM mount on the motorcycle first - I am currently using a Migsel RAM-compatible base that I bought from www.cyclegadgets.com

Imagine my Aqua box mounted in place of the GPS in this photo and you see exactly how I have it mounted.

RCB-MG-FJR.jpg

I'm currently using a standard 3" arm, but I also have a long 5 1/4" arm on the bike not in use. I still need to throw my tank bag on to see how it will work.

I like the Migsel base because whatever is mounted there is stationary.

Sorry to be off subject but how is your seat mod working out??

Only had a 100 mile day so far so no real info yet.

I am headed down to Augusta, GA on the 27th of this month, ~450 miles one way. My plan is to ride down Friday and then do a local ride with some fellows I'm meeting up down there (if I get there in time). I'll then camp out Friday night, get up and meet some more people for lunch, and then ride home Saturday afternoon. I will definitely give an update on the seat after that trip.

Only had a 100 mile day so far so no real info yet.

I am headed down to Augusta, GA on the 27th of this month, ~450 miles one way. My plan is to ride down Friday and then do a local ride with some fellows I'm meeting up down there (if I get there in time). I'll then camp out Friday night, get up and meet some more people for lunch, and then ride home Saturday afternoon. I will definitely give an update on the seat after that trip.
got mine back but only had one day where the roads and conditions were good enough for me to get on the bike. Only about 45 miles not much of a chance to check it out. Seems pretty good though. You will have riding weather long before I will.

Gee, all I do is turn on my Nano, and throw it into my jacket pocket, zip it up to the headphone cable and I'm good to go.

If I see rain, I put it in an inside pocket.

I don't mess with anything while I am riding, and it's easily accessible at a stoplight.

And, it's free and doesn't attract thieves or LEO's.

Gee, all I do is turn on my Nano, and throw it into my jacket pocket, zip it up to the headphone cable and I'm good to go.
If I see rain, I put it in an inside pocket.

I don't mess with anything while I am riding, and it's easily accessible at a stoplight.

And, it's free and doesn't attract thieves or LEO's.
Ditto that!

Kinda hard to interface with your Starcom1 intercom (for passenger chat), GPS (for route directions), Bluetooth phone (for playing hooky from work on sunny afternoons) and Bike2Bike radio (for comms with the rest of the group ride pavillion) with an iPod in your pocket. :blink: :eek: B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also keep my Nano in my breast pocket, I use the Scosche Industries remote mostly for volume control.Link to Scosche

I have the remote velcroed at the bottom of my tank bag even if it rains I just put the rain cover on and use the brail method.

Fuzzy,My Aqua box came with three pieces of foam - .12, .25, & .50 inch I think (at least those are the thicknesses listed as replacement foam.
Yeah, I think the seat foam I used was more than all three included pieces of foam put together - something like 2" that filled the entire aquabox.

My ride home today varied from 55 - 85 mph with no ill effects. Hope it remains that way.
I hope so too. Like I said, I had to do something because my iPod locked up due to vibration. Hopefully you won't need to.

PLease do report on the weatherproofness... (izzat a word?)
I've ridden through torrential rain for 4 hours straight and saw no incursion of water into the aquabox. I do have mined sealed on the back (where the audio cable exits and where the round mounting plate attaches to the aquabox) with clear silicone but I'm not sure that.s strictly necessary.

What IS necessary is to make sure the aquabox's clear lens is properly installed - it's hard to explain but easy to see how it's done if you have one.

I had my Zune velcroed to my handlebar until we stopped to eat. Then threw it in my jacket pocket, which made it impossible to communicate with others. Has anyone used helmet speakers? Curious on how well they work. I love the sound from my ear wraps. The remote would be sweet too.

I have a remote attached to the bars but keep the ipod in my coat pocket. It keeps it from the elements and I can adjust volume, on or off, using the remote. Generally, if I'm on a long ride, I turn it on and just leave it.

otter box!!!!! ebay as low as $1.50 just add ram mount.
SANY0468.jpg
fjr8-15mods006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: