Is extra fuel storage a bad idea

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used one for a number of years, very good and reliable, my only problem is that they are too small, like Iggy said only about 10mi or so per bottle. I've not found any higher capacity bottles that would still fit in a pannier.

Have you considered one of these, it can hold 3.25 gal.

Kolpin Fuel Pack

KN89100_300.jpg

clicky

I could have used one of those on the way to Park City last year. Luckily found a pump in the middle of nowhere in eastern Nevada. Like someone mentioned I carry a small hose but it comes with a small hand pump. Got tired of burping up 87 octane...but that was usually on the HD with no fuel gage. PM. <>< B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using the MSR fuel bottle for about three years without problems. I primarily use it for off road desert expedition's were gas stops are far and few between. I usually throw them in my pack and top off the tank as soon as I am able, thus reducing the weight on my back. No leaks to date. :D

I carried two of those MSR's on my 'Wing on a trip to Canada last year. Rolled them in t-shirts for padding. Never needed them, but was nice to have.

I've used one for a number of years, very good and reliable, my only problem is that they are too small, like Iggy said only about 10mi or so per bottle. I've not found any higher capacity bottles that would still fit in a pannier.
Have you considered one of these, it can hold 3.25 gal.

Kolpin Fuel Pack

KN89100_300.jpg

clicky

35 inches by 14 inches is a tad bigger. I'll have to consider it if I can figure a way to pack it. But my first reaction is too big for the FJR and how I ride.......

I could have used one of those on the way to Park City last year. Luckily found a pump in the middle of nowhere in eastern Nevada. Like someone mentioned I carry a small hose but it comes with a small hand pump. Got tired of burping up 87 octane...but that was usually on the HD with no fuel gage. PM. <>< B)

Where did you get the hose with the hand pump if I may ask?

The hose and hand pump were on the site linked on the original posted …….

Outdoor World Sporting Goods has the 33 oz tank for $15

A suggestion folks. I don't carry extra fuel, but I do carry two 4 foot sections of tubing and an outboard motor priming pump. You know, one of those hand-sized bulbs with the one way valves inside. I've never used it (except when I want to drain the tank for top end service), but the whole thing makes a really nice siphon.

I got the pump from West Marine and the tubing from a regular auto supplier. I use clear tubing so I can see what's going on.

Way smaller, way lighter, and way safer. The whole thing fits easily under the seat. It won't be 'johnny on the spot' because I still have to find a fuel source (passing car or something), but I know it'll work in an emergency.

A suggestion folks. I don't carry extra fuel, but I do carry two 4 foot sections of tubing and an outboard motor priming pump. You know, one of those hand-sized bulbs with the one way valves inside. I've never used it (except when I want to drain the tank for top end service), but the whole thing makes a really nice siphon.
I got the pump from West Marine and the tubing from a regular auto supplier. I use clear tubing so I can see what's going on.

Way smaller, way lighter, and way safer. The whole thing fits easily under the seat. It won't be 'johnny on the spot' because I still have to find a fuel source (passing car or something), but I know it'll work in an emergency.

I was actually thinking of both solutions as a lightweight way to cover all bases. It gets lonely fast out in some of these big western states.

Not sure but think it was Walmart. Its called the Happy Siphon Pump. Here's a link.... Siphon Pump. Or if you can't find a retailer call their tech support. PM. <>< ;)

Not sure but think it was Walmart. Its called the Happy Siphon Pump. Here's a link.... Siphon Pump. Or if you can't find a retailer call their tech support. PM. <>< ;)
Thank you PM! :)

I'm confused...how do you siphon the gas while yer passing the car?

...seems kinda dangerous.

(...and do you need the fuel vapor thingy ($20) so you don't spill the gas on yer tank)

:)

Fantastic idea!

I've used the MSR bottles on hiking trips as well. Do NOT fill past the line :)

Yes, a regular (US) pump nozzle fits in the bottle.

You can get replacement o-rings and lids for them if you're concerned that prolonged exposure to fuel would deteriorate the rubber.

Tour tank makes a 1 gal aux tank and you can get a nylon cover that you can strap down with your other gear. Here is the site if you want to take a look. I have not used the product but it looks like it may work rather well.clicky

Tour tank makes a 1 gal aux tank and you can get a nylon cover that you can strap down with your other gear. Here is the site if you want to take a look. I have not used the product but it looks like it may work rather well.clicky
Wow! They have tanks up to 7 gallons with fittings, hoses and such..........I'm going to look at some of this. Thanks for the link. :)

Wow! They have tanks up to 7 gallons with fittings, hoses and such..........I'm going to look at some of this. Thanks for the link. :)
I don't know if you're into LD riding or rallies, but before you make an investment in a big auxiliary fuel cell you might want to know if there are any restrictions on size capacity.

Not to sound like a hick but us guys out here in Washington when riding dirt bikes in the desert we use gatorade bottles. They work great for a single day anyway. We do as others say at the first stop or so we top off the tank to lighten the backpack. Never a leak or a melt down.

I don't know if you're into LD riding or rallies, but before you make an investment in a big auxiliary fuel cell you might want to know if there are any restrictions on size capacity.
I'm not into competitive LD riding, but others should research that. Good point.