Ivan's ECU Flash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was asked off-line about my experience with Ivan's flash on my '13.

Objectively the CC limit is gone and there is a 3rd mode as I requested.

Subjectively all of the snatch from the throttle on-off is gone from the engine, All I notice now is the drive-line lash.

I've only ridden about 60 miles. Half freeway the other half winding, tight stuff. I'm quite happy with the results. No

idea on MPG yet. I'll put some more freeway miles on Friday-Saturday while riding back and forth to the WSBK races

at Laguna this weekend,

Ivan flashed and shipped the ECU out the same day he received it from me. Great service, just as in the old days

when I did business with him for the ZRX1200R back in the day.

So in the end all you notice is the fuel cut disable? That's really the only thing I would like anyway - I don't want tiny insignificant timing changes that mean it needs premium to please a butt-dyno.

So in the end all you notice is the fuel cut disable? That's really the only thing I would like anyway - I don't want tiny insignificant timing changes that mean it needs premium to please a butt-dyno.
You should get it , and do a review on TWO. Set up some comparisons with your buddy's FJR also

Ivan'swebsite says he spent 2 years developin g so it is backwards compatible to 2002. I don't have time before we leave, but would like to see if that means he has a flash for gen 1 and 2 or is really close to having one for them.

It just says "coming soon" on his website for the Gen I and Gen II.
Ivan is in the process of looking for a low mile completely stock Gen 2 FJR. The Gen 2 ECU is "old school" compared to the Gen 3 bike. When he finds the bike he will begin the same tuning process that he used on the Gen 3. Stay tuned!
"low mile" Gen2? is that even a thing?

I could send mine. Stock 07 with just shy of 75k miles.

EDIT: Stock motor. I do not have the PAIR things, or after market exhaust. The suspension is upgraded :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

Ivan's been working more magic! Pulled my ECU Friday for tweaks to the bottom end - small throttle opening run-ability. I didn't have any complaints as the '15 has been behaving well and still gives me a silly grin every time I ride it.

Have about 5000 miles on the flash now. Trip to Nakusp and Spearfish was uneventful, besides being a great time! No way to gauge mileage as I was packing a pillion with loaded bags and trunk, but mileage varied from 37 to 52. Headwind(s) and MT speed limits play hell with mileage...but that's another whole discussion. I did have one tank to tank local ride that ended up at 52 mpg. Spirited ride with temps in the high 80s.

I'll report back once I get a few miles on the next version.

~G

I have a low mile Gen II AE! And I would very much like to get Ivan's tune. Don't really care for the extra 4-5 HP, or required prem fuel, but I sure would like to get ride of that whole fuel cut problem.

I have a low mile Gen II AE! And I would very much like to get Ivan's tune. Don't really care for the extra 4-5 HP, or required prem fuel, but I sure would like to get ride of that whole fuel cut problem.
Ivan is currently offering ECU flashes for '13 and newer FJR's. Plans are in the works for a GEN II flash but no mention yet of timing / release. See post #64 above.

~G

If he had an email address on his web site, we could flood him with requests. I think he could sell a LOT of GEN II flashes.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="escapefjrtist" data-cid="1402780" data-time="1533699844"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="wpendl1" data-cid="1402764" data-time="1533684369"><p>I have a low mile Gen II AE! And I would very much like to get Ivan's tune. Don't really care for the extra 4-5 HP, or required prem fuel, but I sure would like to get ride of that whole fuel cut problem.</p></blockquote>

Ivan is currently offering ECU flashes for '13 and newer FJR's. Plans are in the works for a GEN II flash but no mention yet of timing / release. See post #64 above.<br />

<br />

~G</p></blockquote>

Yes, I saw that. I also saw that someone said Ivan was looking for a low mile completely stock gen II. That was my way of voulonteering my gem.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="escapefjrtist" data-cid="1402780" data-time="1533699844"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="wpendl1" data-cid="1402764" data-time="1533684369"><p>I have a low mile Gen II AE! And I would very much like to get Ivan's tune. Don't really care for the extra 4-5 HP, or required prem fuel, but I sure would like to get ride of that whole fuel cut problem.</p></blockquote>

Ivan is currently offering ECU flashes for '13 and newer FJR's. Plans are in the works for a GEN II flash but no mention yet of timing / release. See post #64 above.<br />

<br />

~G</p></blockquote>

Yes, I saw that. I also saw that someone said Ivan was looking for a low mile completely stock gen II. That was my way of voulonteering my gem.

Huh...He has an FJR and knows enough about it to flash the ECU, but he runs 89 octane fuel. Makes me wonder if the reflash requires that or if he doesn't know any better. Not a huge deal, but I wonder if the fuel would really make any difference.
I've been wondering about the 89. Two days ago the 89 was a full $1.00 more than the 87. I know they are small tanks, but still a full fill up would be an extra $5.00. I wonder if the flash would run any worse on 87?

Thats a California phenomenon.

No where near that much price diff between 87 and 89 in the rest of the (actually) free world. My wifes car takes 91 minimum, which means 93 here since nobody does 91 in New England. I can shop around (GasBuddy.com is your friend) and buy the super duper hi test 93 for about 50 cents higher a gallonthan the low price on 87 regular

You do know that you are allowed to leave the communist republic of California, right? Just follow everyone else thats leaving for the high taxes right now. Personally, I couldnt get out fast enough back in 1980. Guess I was ahead of my time. Doesnt mean I was right or wrong.

JREW: I've been wondering about the 89. Two days ago the 89 was a full $1.00 more than the 87. I know they are small tanks, but still a full fill up would be an extra $5.00. I wonder if the flash would run any worse on 87?
John, I've been asked by a couple other interested parties what a tank of 87 would run like. In previous discussions with Ivan he indicated that there's the potential for detonation below 3000 rpm at larger throttle openings and heavier loads. Keep in mind this is directly related to more advanced timing and changes in the timing table(s). Thus, his recommendation for 89.

I've been running 89 since the first iteration of the flash. There's been no hint of pinging anywhere in the rev range although I haven't been spending a lot of time below 3000 rpm. This thing is so smooth that it's fun to just let it rip now. BTW...the latest version I received "seems" even smoother and more responsive in "Ivan" mode. More to follow...

In the interest of science, next tank I'll fill up with 87 and see what happens!

~G