I've got a dent in one header pipe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey

Reaction score
Drove over a small curb and put a dent in one of the header pipes. Normally it would have cleared, but the bike was loaded.

Will this restriction cause a problem?

16ayz3n.jpg

111jaeb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't do that anymore! Gonna have to start calling you GalaxyBlue! Throttle is your friend!

A photo of the offending dent would help, but I don't think it is going to be an issue. IMHO. We shall see what others have to say.

Please help petey out if you can. I know he will be obsessing about that dent for the rest of this riding season...

...and the next.

send it to me, my old lady can blow it back to normal.
Lucky bastard.

Petey, I got dents at least that big in two pipes doing some rock-skipping a few years back. Never did replace them. No harm done, performance-wise or otherwise.
Wasn't that pipe the one that came out of the cylinder with the burnt valve?? I don't like dented header pipes...But I guess it depends on the size of the dent compared against the cost to replace them.

Lucky bastard.

Petey, I got dents at least that big in two pipes doing some rock-skipping a few years back. Never did replace them. No harm done, performance-wise or otherwise.
Wasn't that pipe the one that came out of the cylinder with the burnt valve?? I don't like dented header pipes...But I guess it depends on the size of the dent compared against the cost to replace them.
greater than 50% is a problem...mine was greater than 75%

Lucky bastard.

It was actually the pipe that came out of the engine of the motorcycle that I finished wrecking in Helena, Montana on my way to Golden for NAFO in '08, so no, probly not related to the fried valves on my next Feejer. Good to eliminate that possibility, though. ;)

I had a dent that compressed the pipe in half where 2 go into 1 ahead of the cat. Replaced the header and it ran noticably better and cooler, and not always second guessing should I do it.

So, how would one go about removing the dent?
Well in this case, I would try to force a large ball brg (that readily rolls through an intact pipe) through the dinged one while heating it up with a torch. So, now you may ask, how do you push it around the bend? A couple of ways come to mind. First, you could stuff a few smaller pebbles behind the BB and push them with a dowel and hammer. Several short pieces of smaller diameter pipe instead of the stones would probably work OK too. You only have to push the BB past the dent and it should then roll out the other end. ;)