JUST GOT A TICKET FOR USING THE CELL PHONE!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was riding on a US highway this past Sunday. First time I've ridden since last year. Punched on the cruise control, pulled out my phone and texted my buddy. Yes, I used it hands free. That is, I had my hands off the bars. Wasn't wearing any gear, either. Screw you all. :evilgrin: :fuck:

I was riding on a US highway this past Sunday. First time I've ridden since last year. Punched on the cruise control, pulled out my phone and texted my buddy. Yes, I used it hands free. That is, I had my hands off the bars. Wasn't wearing any gear, either. Screw you all. :evilgrin: :fuck:
Were you flying your plane down low over the US highway while doing that...you troublemaker?? :lol:

Of course, I bet you can multi-task. Admit it, you stare at women's breasts while cleaning their teeth, doncha? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Throckenstein has it correct.... obviously, y'all are just a bunch of pussies.

When you're *really* good, you can comprise a text message while entering a round-about.... :whistle:

Then, if you are a true professional.....

Try texting when going through a round-about.. while getting a knee down. :diablo:

When you're *really* good, you can comprise a text message while entering a round-about.... :whistle:

Try texting when going through a round-about.. while getting a knee down. :diablo:
Bah...I have people doing that all the time next to me in their cars.

Reason I don't typically commute on a bike...and the reason I worry more about my son who commutes on his XJ600 to the local junior college.

I believe that a 50 year old female mcy rider here in Illinois was killed while stopped at a traffic light, because the cager was putting on finger nail polish while driving...and forgot to stop. I believe her son is on STN.

Everything is fun until someone gets hurt...

I don't mind taking chances on the road for myself...when I am the only one at risk. I just don't want those other people next to me taking my chances for me.

The Motorcycle cop still gets nearly clipped or side swiped from cagers as well. currently I am in a parking lot in Downtown LA stopped and handling messages and emails w/o the phone and on my laptop. Lotsa factory owners looking at me in their parking lots but eff them, I am only using their lot for 5 minutes then leave. DR

Dr. Throckenstein has it correct.... obviously, y'all are just a bunch of pussies.

Then, if you are a true professional.....

funny but a little advanced planning and you can do just that. back during my SS2K (Jungo Road trip), i had a 2-way pager (before smart phones). i preprogrammed in short messages so that when i passed through a certain area, i could step down and hit send on messages that said, "I'm in [town name]". It was auto-sent to a mailing list i was on and everyone i wanted to update got it without me having to stop.

vast western outback areas. open roads with no surrounding traffic. could send the message mostly by touch or with the pager up in line of sight while the road was kept in view and the primary focus.

there's something different about complex tasks that draws our attention away and makes it the #1 job and excludes out focus on driving/riding. it's something hard wired into the great predator in us.

congrats, R, on manning up instead of mowing down.

No comment. :glare:
Gunny.

He should've trumped up the ticket. As somebody who rides a bike, you really should know better.
Though if I were to make a comment it would probably be along these lines. ;)

For those of us who use our cell phones as ramrezz was for nav...I wonder if they would nail you if you had a cell phone holder on your dash and looked at it?
As long as it's hands free I would have to say nay on that one.

I wish I had Balls as big as yours 'cuz there's no-way I'd come on a Motorcycle Forum and admit that mistake! :rofl:

I don't care what they say about you, Dave....you're alright.

Except when you use that fackin' phone! :lol2:
Well played sir.

...talk about a dogpile... remind me not to admit dumb mistakes on here. :unsure: LOL
Now what fun is that? :lol:

Any of us on a bike know that at least half the drivers we pass are doing something with a cell phone on the road, at a light, and they are not looking at the road. Laptop computers and iPads are even worse, and the GPS isn't much better. I have hands-free via the GPS in the car. Works pretty good and lets me keep both hands on the wheel, unless I'm trying to do something like maybe call up a MP3, dial a hotel reservation up the road, change a via point on a route, etc.

I suspect there is a lot of rock throwing in this thread from riders in glass houses.

Case in point .. yesterday I was slowing for a yellow when I hear tires screech. Look in my rear view mirror and see a car approaching fast with the driver on the phone. Was sort of hoping she's hit us as we can't seem to get rid of the POS Audi we were driving and were sort of hoping it would be totaled. But she stopped in time.

Two weeks ago I was stopped in traffic on a highway in Vegas waiting to get on an offramp when I hear the screech ... and in the rear-mirror see a fast-approaching Mercedes aiming for the shoulder, the driver was also on the phone. Again a total miss ...

Prior to that I wrote up a blog article on it too: https://norskiesblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/spring-is-coming-and-so-are-motorcycles.html

Good on you for admitting your fault and not bitching about it. I've answered my phone while driving and feel like such a hypocrite while doing it. Talking on the phone is bad, but texting and driving is F'n stupid.

Case in point .. yesterday I was slowing for a yellow when I hear tires screech. Look in my rear view mirror and see a car approaching fast with the driver on the phone. Was sort of hoping she's hit us as we can't seem to get rid of the POS Audi we were driving and were sort of hoping it would be totaled. But she stopped in time.

Two weeks ago I was stopped in traffic on a highway in Vegas waiting to get on an offramp when I hear the screech ... and in the rear-mirror see a fast-approaching Mercedes aiming for the shoulder, the driver was also on the phone. Again a total miss ...

Prior to that I wrote up a blog article on it too: https://norskiesblog....otorcycles.html
It's been my experience (and I drive for a living, so I see many "close calls") that the offending driver NEVER puts the phone down! Braking hard, tires sqealing, steering with one hand while still talking on the phone. What's with that?

Am I the only one who finds the irony in this story?

Cops routinely have to operate a LARGE amount of switches, lights, sirens, multiple radios, laptop computer, take down lights, radar and laser guns, doughnuts, coffee, and the like as an EXPECTED function WHILE they drive. Not to mention how many cops I see talking on cell phones as they drive too. Has not anyone looked into a cop car or motorcycle recently? How about a Boeing jet? Police helicopter? Don't they all talk to each other? Are we expected to use CB's like the truckers instead of cell phones?

So if I get this right, the cop, while riding his motorcycle, is scanning all drivers for use of a cell phone while he rides - probably with his radar gun on, sees someone look down at a cell phone, then accelerates "briskly" to catch the "criminal" while he turns on his lights, radios in the license plate for identification in case he is shot and also to get any priors, operates what ever navigational signals to the other traffic, pulse pounding, pulls someone over for looking down (I'm assuming no hands where involved for the Google reader). and then has the balls to issue a ticket?

For those concerned with safety, safety will be respected. For those who don't, well I think a guy named Darwin had an idea about that.......

Cell phones + an easily pliable (usually emotional too) public = sweet Enforceable Taxation ($$$) for the locality served (be it county, city, or state).

Really.....

...For those concerned with safety, safety will be respected. For those who don't, well I think a guy named Darwin had an idea about that.......
I don't want Mr. Darwin taking me out along with the cell phone yacking idiot.

We wouldn't all be talking about this unless there were asshats -not nice people- out there who have maimed and killed because of inattentive driving while using a cell phone. Don't kid yourself. We've all seen the symptoms....if you haven't, you're even more inattentive than you think. not paying attention.

Again, I KNOW I take more risks than the average Joe by riding a mcy...but if yer not able to drive correctly due to alcohol, weed, pills, sex in the car, reading novels, eating gyros and dropped a load of meat in your lap, or talking on a cell phone, etc...I DON'T want you sharing public space with me while me and my daughter are out for a ride.

Capiche??!! glare: Understand?? ;)

Edit:

If you think that you're such a bad ass good driver that can handle cell phones and driving at the same time...I challenge you to take the driver's road course test with a phone in your hand, or hands free...I don't care, while I ask you the questions from the written test. If you can answer the questions right...and simultaneously pass the road course as well...then YES, I would say you are good to go with a license to drive while cell phones yacking.

Otherwise, STFU...

Edited...taking the tone down a notch after wiping the spit off my face.

Actually you guys wouldn't be talking about this if he didn't get a ticket, and cell phone use is referenced in my prior post.

You did leave out one cause though: Sleep or lack of it.

Thus:

"250,000 drivers fall asleep at the wheel everyday, according to the Division of Sleep Medicine at the Harvard Medical School and in a national poll released last year by the National Sleep Foundation, 54% of adult drivers said they had driven while drowsy during the past year with 28% saying they had actually fallen asleep while driving."

I do understand thank you. I have spent a great deal of my life designing and ensuring safety.

What seems to be lacking is an understanding that one can't legislate morality.

For those of us who use our cell phones as ramrezz was for nav...I wonder if they would nail you if you had a cell phone holder on your dash and looked at it?
The answer to that question is no. As long as you are hands free, then you can use it.

Rick

The answer to that question is no. As long as you are hands free, then you can use it.

Rick

...What seems to be lacking is an understanding that one can't legislate morality.
Societies have ALWAYS legislated morality.

The society believes that killing is wrong and must be punished...therefore, punishment for killing...as voted by legislatures elected by the people.

The society believes that exposing your personal parts to a child is wrong and must be punished...therefore, punishment for exposing your personal parts to a child...as voted by legislatures elected by the people.

The society believes that operating a vehicle while impaired is wrong and must be punished...therefore, punishment for operating a vehicle while impaired...as voted by legislatures elected by the people.

Et cetera, Et cetera, Et cetera...

Therefore, asking people to be able to provide proof that they can safely guide a 2000lb plus missile down the public way in traffic, whilst absorbed in telecommunications...is not too much to ask for the public's safety.