K&N Air Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
For those of you running the K&N air filter - how often do you service it?

K&N says 50,000-100,000 miles, but personally, I think that is a bit excessive. They also say a dirty filter is good, as it then works better.

So...........when should we be servicing the K&N air filter?

When you do service yours, try not over-oil it. Per their "filter charger" kit you just want to see a uniform red color. I've seen more problems in different vehicles (friends, not mine) due to over-oiling than anything else about them. If excess oil gets onto to any mass-airflow sensor wires you're screwed.

I just added a K&N to my FJR and will check it periodically, say every 10,000 miles. As they advise, if you live in and around dusty conditions, you may need to service your airfilter sooner. I have used K&N in many of my vehicles over the years, and in my area, which is generally mostly non dusty conditions, I usually clean and re-oil at about 30,000 miles. And as the earlier post mentioned, if you have a mass air flow sensor, be careful and don't overoil the filter media. (It is best to oil the filter and let it soak in for a couple of hours to make sure the oil is done re-distributing itself and wipe off any excess oil apparent.)

In the car's K&N filter, you can see the dirty section in the middle where most of the air is flowing through. The edges don't get nearly as dirty. This gives a good visual reference of how dirty the filter is.

The dirty sections with a greyish dark purple, and clean sections look like they've just been oiled.

The "works better dirtier" thing is because it will trap smaller particles when it's dirty. That doesn't mean it flows more air dirty. What's more important to you, reducing the filtration particle size by a few microns or CFM of airflow? That's a call you gotta make.

And all advice about over-oiling should be well heeded.

Holy thread ressurrection! I think 16.5 years between posts is a record. Throw in a post after the forum creator posted it and has since passed away....probably another record.

I wonder if the OP still stands by his initial thoughts. :)

Latest posts