keep yer eyes open out there, kids.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep! no doubt that left a mark. Watch them thar house trailers, they toss 'em all the time. Don't know how many I lost over the years.

:jester:

Same here. I've a whole shelf of old "veteran" helmets. My favorite is the Shoei I was wearing when the crazy lady ran the stop light in Portland going 45 miles an hour and t-boned me. The broken leg and arm was bad, but my helmet, well without it, it was a fatal event.
I gave up open face helmets in the 70's when a large rock split my lip, loosened two teeth, and damn near took me off my bike on the freeway. That said, I'm more in the camp of not being one who appreciates the government telling me I have to do anything. Helmets included. But given my experiences, I just can't get comfortable when I'm on the bike wearing anything less than complete coverage. But that's just me. YMMV.
I wonder what that would do to your two front teeth?

A guy was killed this past Friday when two wheels flew off a garbage truck and one of them hit him.Link
Damn... did you see the threads in the middle portion of the lug bolt that were worn smooth? :blink:

I watched a wheel from a bass boat trailer, hub and all, break loose on a 2-lane highway in north Alabama last year. It crossed into the oncoming traffic and totally destroyed the left front fender, tire, and suspension of an oncoming Jaguar. I thought, "If that was me and I was on the bike?... Adios."

That is some scary stuff. doesn't matter if you're in a cage or bike, a tire coming at you from 60mph and you diong the same speed towards it, isn't going to be pretty. That's too bad.

Great, thanks odot. Now I not only have to watch out for cagers; I have to watch out for their fling tires too?? :blink:

No kidding around that's some scary Sh**!!!!!

Waay back in 75, riding a cb750 honda on the 405 in LaLa land, a truck tire went OVER me...
A few years back I was in a Tacoma I had and a car tire bounced by me on I-59 in Birmingham. The next bounce sent it into the lane I was in and came down on the top of the windshield of a car behind me. That would be even more nerve wrenching on a bike, or probably kill you if it landed on you...

I watched that Tommy Lee Jones movie Volcano on AMC the other night. The geologist girl said in reference to 'lava balls', "Don't react until you know where it's going to land" or something like that. The same might apply here. If it's sailing in an arc, make sure you know where it's heading before swerving...

Waay back in 75, riding a cb750 honda on the 405 in LaLa land, a truck tire went OVER me...
A few years back I was in a Tacoma I had and a car tire bounced by me on I-59 in Birmingham. The next bounce sent it into the lane I was in and came down on the top of the windshield of a car behind me. That would be even more nerve wrenching on a bike, or probably kill you if it landed on you...

I watched that Tommy Lee Jones movie Volcano on AMC the other night. The geologist girl said in reference to 'lava balls', "Don't react until you know where it's going to land" or something like that. The same might apply here. If it's sailing in an arc, make sure you know where it's heading before swerving...

a few years ago i was taking my son to a scout campout and i was pulling a trailer loaded with firewood. we were about 2 miles from the campsite when i heard a loud bang and my truck jerked real hard. i looked out my side window and i see a tire rolling past me :eek:

turns out the bolts on my trailer wheel stripped out and the tire got launched off the axle. it literally went rolling in front of my truck then swerved off and rolled about 50 yards thru the woods. and i was only doing about 35 to 45 mph.

i remember thinking at the time how glad i was that there was not another vehicle coming down the road at the same time

so remember boys and girls....

you don't have to be on the interstate to get hit by flying tires

Same experience here on I-294 n.bound last year. A semi lost it's tire in the s. bound lanes. It bounced about 30 ft in the air as it careened towards my Tahoe, I tapped the brakes to warn cars behind me of possible emergency maneuvers because I didn't know where it was going to land, nor where I was gonna go. The douchebag behind me decided he knew better, switched lanes and floored it when he got next to me w/ a dirty look :eek: .

The next thing he knew, a couple hundred pounds of rubber and steel were in his minivans windshield and crushed it from hood to about 18 inches into the roof! To top it off he kept going like nothing happened,even w/ a crushed windshield. The tire continued on its merry way down the tollway, and so did I.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a wheel from a bass boat trailer, hub and all, break loose on a 2-lane highway in north Alabama last year. It crossed into the oncoming traffic...
Different -- but, similar is/are the stuff thrown into trailered boats, often wet -- then dries, that flies out while going down the road. Happens all the time -- swim suits, towels, styrofoam coolers, etc. I give them all (trailers) a wide-berth.

More to the point -- a BMW MOA notable club-member had, a few years ago, a wreck on I-10 by Tucson when a wheel from a utility trailer came off and bounced across the median and hit him on his bike. Broke his arm (I can't remember what else). I do remember him describing how he watched it all happen -- like, in slow motion.

That happened here in Milwaukee on Int 94 the other day, A doctor was killed just before Xmas the same way on Int 43 just 10 miles from where this one happened.

Steve

Latest posts