LAMM Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

want2ride

Reaction score
I have read many posts on the aftermarket seats for the FJR and did not give it much thought beyond picking up a Corbin accessory seat. It was more comfortable than the stock seat so I was happy with it. My bottom would get sore on long rides but I just attributed it as I have been sitting to long on the bike.

I finally got the chance to pick up a "better" seat as one of our fellow riders decided to part with his LAMM and we are the same build so I got it. Put it on my bike Monday and I have to say my bottom is now in heaven! I did not think it would make that much of a difference but now I must admit how wrong I was. My hands had been going numb lately with riding more than 20 miles. That problem seems to have cleared with the new seat also. Guess the ergonomics played a bigger role than expected.

Any custom seat is an improvement. I have been extremely pleased with the comfort, the quality, and the service at Laam. Obviously, the service has come under scrutiny here recently but the entire Laam experience has been a positive one for me.

I love my lamb...
sarcasm.gif

There must be something wrong with me. I have a Laam seat built to my weight (160 lbs) and it's nowhere to be near 'heaven' when sitting on it.

I rate the OEM stock seat as a 1-hour seat (after 1 hour my butt went numb). The Laam seat, for me, is a 3-hour seat, top. Then my butt went numb.

I'm not sure what's wrong so I don't know what to ask Seth to correct it so I just leave it as is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you will truly know if the seat is worthwhile until the end of the second full day of all day riding.

What I found is that if the seat is good, you DON'T notice it after that time....That something else is your limiting factor. It not that the seat is more plush for the first 1/2 hour you sit on it.

I could ride all day on the stock seat if I moved around on it, took sufficient breaks, weather was cool, etc, but the end of the second full day of riding...downstairs would be very sore. Thus the need of a seat that would not be noticed. That's the beauty of an aftermarket seat.

Tingling hands? Gripping the bars too hard. I find that at the beginning of a trip I sometimes grip the bars too hard and have numbness after 60 miles. I remember to lighten up and all is well with the next 3000 miles.

...and it's LAAM. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tingling and numbness of hands can be prevented by adopting proper grip. Learned at a riding clinic several years ago the proper grip is similar to that of a golf club. Very light a if holding a raw egg. Most of the discomfort is due to leaning on the bars or gripping them too tight. Let your arms relax and put enough downward pressure on the pegs to bring your torso upright enough to keep the weight off the bars. You need to consciencly work on this until it becomes a muscle memory state of riding posture.

I have read many posts on the aftermarket seats for the FJR and did not give it much thought beyond picking up a Corbin accessory seat. It was more comfortable than the stock seat so I was happy with it. My bottom would get sore on long rides but I just attributed it as I have been sitting to long on the bike.
I finally got the chance to pick up a "better" seat as one of our fellow riders decided to part with his LAMM and we are the same build so I got it. Put it on my bike Monday and I have to say my bottom is now in heaven! I did not think it would make that much of a difference but now I must admit how wrong I was. My hands had been going numb lately with riding more than 20 miles. That problem seems to have cleared with the new seat also. Guess the ergonomics played a bigger role than expected.
+1

I've dealt with carpal tunnel for a long time, both wrists operated on and still have issues.

Something I've notice is the numbness is worst after being away from riding for a bit. Like Art mentioned, I think I have a tighter more tense grip when starting a new riding season.

The other thing I've notice is if I go numb at the beginning of a ride I'll pull over, get off and walk around a minute. When getting back on I'm good to go without any numbness at all.

I sorta look at as I'm re-aligning or re-setting my back back. Which is something I've also dealt with for too long.

And like w2ride, a good seat makes all the difference in a enjoyable ride.

If you're experiencing numbness, it's ergonomics or seat cushioning, not how you're sitting. Getting the bars up is of primary concern for distance riding for most of us. I rode long with the stock seat. Did 1000 miles with only sub 10 minute fuel/flag photo/piss stops on the Yamaha comfort seat recently. I like it better, but I think for really long miles, you just need to stand and reposition every once in a while. By the 600 mile mark, my ass was killing me. By the 800, that had gone away and I didn't think about it for the rest of the trip. But I did start standing for a bit every 15-30 minutes.

I would agree with gripping the bar to hard. However it is something I concentrate on not doing, plus it happens with driving the cage. Hate to think it is CTS but my dad had it and went through surgery for it at this age...... It is not going to prevent me from riding though! I will get a side consult from my physical therapy people, lol

There must be something wrong with me. I have a Laam seat built to my weight (160 lbs) and it's nowhere to be near 'heaven' when sitting on it.I rate the OEM stock seat as a 1-hour seat (after 1 hour my butt went numb). The Laam seat, for me, is a 3-hour seat, top. Then my butt went numb.

I'm not sure what's wrong so I don't know what to ask Seth to correct it so I just leave it as is.
I just had Seth Laam build a seat for my R1200GS at a ride in appointment. I weigh 175 lbs wet and naked. I left his facility and rode a little over 200 miles to where I was staying. The seat was great. The next day I rode about 550 miles but the seat did not feel the same so I raised the front which made it better. In the week following the build I rode over 3000 miles. The seat has a nice pocket contour which fits me well but is overly firm. My ischium (sit bones) are noticeable after an hour and are getting uncomfortable at 300 miles and painful between 4-500 miles. I called Seth last Thursday the 7th but have not heard back. I will be calling again today to see if there is anything he can do. I am starting to form a theory that the contoured pocket shape like Seth's seat, Mayer bros. and Corbin does not work for my bony butt. I was considering having Seth build a seat for my FJR as I would like a seat that is lower than the Russell I currently have but I will see what he can do with the GS seat before deciding. FWIW I know that the Russell is good for 32 hours straight but it is too tall for my short legs on the GS. I think you should call him even if you are not sure what the issue is. He has enough experience that he should be able to help you decide what is wrong. There are many people happy with his seats which suggests that we should be able to ride comfortably on one also.

It is very hard to beat the Russell suspension system if you've got a bony butt.

Regarding the issues of hand numbness and similar, it is really a matter of personal physiology. One person is not the same as another. We are all different.

I have found simple things like the weight of my coat, or the tightness of my suspenders to be like a digital switch for hand and arm issues.

Last year I had some problems with my left hand and I discovered by swapping seats back and forth on my R3T that the stock seat was easier on my hand than the Russell ... but now that my hand is better, the Russell is back on the bike because my butt definitely likes the Russell better than stock.

On the FJR, I used to hate the stock seats, but now I get along with them just fine, probably owing to 100+ pound weight loss.

So ...

No one can tell you how to fix your hand numbness problem. Everyone finds their own solution.

Same with seats. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Latest posts