Lane Sharing Study

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting study, thanks for posting. I believe that filtering is safer if done in a prudent manner, but your average cager thinks differently. Opinions will need to change if laws are to change, and more articles and studies like this one are steps in the right direction.

Thanks for posint this up. However, I don't see it ever being expressly allowed. Around here there are too many yahoos who would intentionally change lanes or open their door in stopped traffic to prevent a motorcycle from passing.

Yeah, that is very interesting, thnx

Having just experience lane sharing during my trip up US 1, there's little doubt that some drivers really don't like it. but most people seemed okay with it and some would even give you more room so you could get by.

The funny thing about the report, well odd I mean, I don't care what State I'm in, every time I come to a stop the bike is on the outside of the lane ready to lane split, legal or not. Someone coming up behind me isn't stopping? I'm going right between those cars.

My guess is if they made it legal everywhere, people would just adjust. They might not like it, but it definitely works in California. Hell, after awhile, I almost started feeling sorry for people in cars, I mean you go by all the stopped cars at ea light and get to the front, at ea light. It was awesome really.

Most other countries that I've been to (47 to date) allow filtering. Unfortunately, I don't see the U.S. adopting it in all states any time soon.

Thanks for this. I was just trying to remember why I moved back to the land of fruits and nuts then remembered, hey! we can lane split (Sorry TWN, I mean lane share).

One can only hope, but far too many asshats out there that would abuse it and the cagers already hate us enough.

I'd be happy with something like lane sharing when traffic is moving it less than half the posted speed. There are days I know I've driven the car to work instead of sitting in stop and go traffic in full gear in the heat. The problem is operators would have to do math! ;)

Traffic was especially bad this morning, and I split lanes almost all the way to work. Got me thinking about this thread.

Let's face it, most drivers are competitive behind the wheel to some degree. Being able to use a lane that car drivers can't actually eases tensions. I realized this when I visited Seattle a couple of weeks ago. In CA, car drivers simply disregard me as someone who they cannot compete with. In WA, they treated me similar to another car... tried to close gaps and such so I could not get ahead of them (not that I really cared... I was on vacation and riding at a casual pace).

Mferriter's mentioned above that drivers threat land splitters/sharers with disrespect, and I gotta say I just don't see it here in CA. Again, we are not "the competition," and drivers for the most part either don't pay attention to me or actually move out of the way so I can pass.

As for Auron's post, there are a lot of cyclists here that ride way to fast whilst splitting IMHO. I might be in favor of some restrictions on speed above what the traffic is travelling (10 MPH over traffic speed maybe) and top speed for splitting (40 MPH maybe). But it works pretty well as is, and there may be problems with these restrictions.

Also, I believe that the loud exhausts are very bad diplomacy for our sport/passion and especially true while splitting where drivers are startled when passed. I read this in Motorcyclist in reply to someone who said he rode with a loud exhaust and stated that he had a FTW attitude... the reply was something like "...don't be surprised if the World returns the favor."