Latest MCN review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Movie reviews and motorcycle reviews are all categorically full if shit. As much as they try to act unbiased, a sport bike guy will bitch about everything not a sport bike. Kawasaki guys will bitch about Yamaha and BMW guys will bitch about anything not BMW. What's funny is the absolute lack of knowledge displayed by these so-called professionals. Bunch of dipshits just trying to get a paycheck, and their advertising interests trump the truth every time.
I guess this is why I stopped getting MC mags. Too much of the same dribble.
I don't care that yer a cop, will you marry me? :thumbsup:
Awwwwww, I'm sorry BB..I'm already taken, by a woman...Thankfully. But if she ever leaves me..........................

I don't care that yer a cop, will you marry me?
thumbsup.gif
Awwwwww, I'm sorry BB..I'm already taken, by a woman...Thankfully. But if she ever leaves me....... I'll need a good husband that knows how to cook.
ftfy
lol.gif

Movie reviews and motorcycle reviews are all categorically full if shit. As much as they try to act unbiased, a sport bike guy will bitch about everything not a sport bike. Kawasaki guys will bitch about Yamaha and BMW guys will bitch about anything not BMW. What's funny is the absolute lack of knowledge displayed by these so-called professionals. Bunch of dipshits just trying to get a paycheck, and their advertising interests trump the truth every time.

I guess this is why I stopped getting MC mags. Too much of the same dribble.
I don't care that yer a cop, will you marry me?
thumbsup.gif
Awwwwww, I'm sorry BB..I'm already taken, by a woman...Thankfully. But if she ever leaves me..........................
Yer words are soooo, "inspiring" I find myself agreeing w/ u all the time. Oh well, guess I'll just have ta stay w/ my wife/sister...

ugly-woman-moustache-pictures_zps0e2a51a9.jpg

(Look Fred, I dun figured out how ta add a photo!)

They must have the "super secret special edition" version. All my FJRs have run on regular fuel.
right you are.. someone needs to send the MCN folks an editorial correction that the FJR does NOT need Premium fuel. Not a big deal when gas is 2.00 a gallon here in AZ but it is one of the many reasons I chose the FJR...

I get a few motorcycle magazines, and I like MCN. It does always seems a bit amateurish. I like good editing and grammar and proper punctuation. Regarding this particular review, although it's nice to hear my choice of motorcycles praised, the review itself seemed like it was comparing three different things, like, "Which do you like best, an apple, an orange, or a pear?" It didn't make sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a few motorcycle magazines, and I like MCN. It does always seems a bit amateurish. I like good editing and grammar and proper punctuation. Regarding this particular review, although it's nice to hear my choice of motorcycles praised, the review itself seemed like it was comparing three different things, like, "Which do you like best, an apple, an orange, or a pear?" It didn't make sense to me.
I too get a few MC mags and like MCN beat as it is void of advertising and bias articles pushing an advertiser's product. Not sure how they got Fuel grade: Premium required?? They show overall mpg at 45.41. I suppose they are much more aggressive rides than me. I have been getting 47.45 mpg consistently.

I too get a few MC mags and like MCN beat as it is void of advertising and bias articles pushing an advertiser's product. Not sure how they got Fuel grade: Premium required?? They show overall mpg at 45.41. I suppose they are much more aggressive rides than me. I have been getting 47.45 mpg consistently.
I don't see how you guys do it. When my 07 was brand new, I never got better than the low 40's. With the PC-III installed it dropped to the mid to upper 30's.

The only time I ever got over 45mpg was when riding with a group of Harleys where old ladies in their sedans were beating us off the line at red lights. I was twitching the whole time wanting to twist the throttle and being held back. No Thanks to that type of riding!

I guess I need to stop revving the shit out of my FJR (and stop having fun)? :)

It's all type of rider & method of riding. I'll never see more than 7,000 miles out of a set of tires on my FJR, but I consistently get 14k on a set of skins on my RS cuz I'm only commuting down the freeway everyday to work for 40 miles/day & keep good tabs on my air pressure.

Not to belabour this topic, but I have always gotten 47mpg or better on two prior 2007 FJR's and current 2014ES. I do not poke along when riding. No jack rabbit starts off the line and I do not "rev the shit" out of the bike between gears. Where possible I exceed the speed limits by 5 to 8 mph (generally safe for radar). Try to avoid hard breaking preferring to downshift. No going hot into turns. I weight 145 lbs. I get 12-15K consistently on PR2's inflated to 39psi front and 42psi rear. Are there no others getting these numbers??

Last edited by a moderator:
The rider weight may have something to do with it. When I had FJRs in earlier years, I typically got 42 to 44 mpg on the two that I'd previously owned.

I've lost the equivalent of a medium sized pillion in weight, and at my new weight, the two FJRs that I presently own are both showing 45 to 47 mpg in a mixture of riding dominated by rural winding roads, but with some city stuff thrown in.

My riding style hasn't changed, unless maybe I ride more aggressively at the lower weight because the bike isn't so top heavy any more.

And as I mentioned in another thread, the weight loss allowed me to forget about the Russell seats ... a necessity in earlier years.

...No going hot into turns. I weight 145 lbs. I get 12-15K consistently on PR2's inflated to 39psi front and 42psi rear. Are there no others getting these numbers??
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!! And there we have it, folks! There are riders here at double that weight or more (some with pillion, some without). As a percentage of GVW the rider(s) are significant, I think. I haven't crunched my numbers but at 168 lbs I'm on the lighter side and tend to get pretty good economy. Other factors at play for sure, but this has to be a big one.

Bullshit! It's not weight. I get better mileage with my wife on the back. At 5000ft, I get close to 42, but my right wrist is heavy. When I go on trips, my freeway mileage is around 40-42, but I'm usually running 90.

Getting my FJR into the mountains, and my mileage goes up significantly; even when I'm riding hard on the brakes and throttle.

TypE of riding has way more to do with mileage than weight, unless it's stop, start all day long. Also, I don't know if you guys have noticed, but Tony gets exceptional mileage from his tires and has got to be close to 220 when geared up. With clothes and extra fuel, that's a 300lb rider.