leaking fuel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel78362

Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier in an unrelated post, my 86 Honda Interceptor VF500F just started leaking fuel all over my car port. I know the petcock was going bad and starting to leak. Can't see where it's coming from but I'm going to guess it's coming from there. it was not in the complete off position, now is and am waiting to see if it stops. While I respect the advise that I get here don't know if I should seek advise here or look to a Honda VF specific forum. Please, any advise.

To All, Be Good, Be Safe

I would drain the fuel and replace the fuel petcock and the fuel lines, the fuel petcock should not leak on or off position, given the age of the bike I'll bet the fuel lines needs to be replaced and the o ring in the petcock is bad.

I have an '86 vfr700 and a couple yrs ago I started it up for the first time after winter storage, and a couple minutes later it began to leak like a sieve. My understanding is that the float is stuck and seals may have to be replaced. A big thanks go to the ethanol mix we now get. It wreaks havoc on carbuerated vehicles if you don't put in an additive prior to storage (which I didn't.....the shame of it all). Haven't done much to it yet beyond tearing it down, carberator kits can be a bit pricey.

Hopefully your situation just requires servicing the petcock.

Was going to say the same thing. If one of the float needles sticks open it will leak fuel all over. Much more likely than a petcock leaking on the floor, IMO. If the petcock were leaking in its valve it would just always be "on", which wouldn't matter unless the float needle was also stuck open. You really need to determine exactly where that fuel is coming from.

One thing to beware of, and I'm not sure if this applies to this bike in particular, but a stuck float can leak fuel into the cylinder(s) on some engines and create what is known (and dreaded) as a hydro-locked engine. If you think this may have happened make sure you turn the engine over by hand before thumbing the starter button.

Was going to say the same thing. If one of the float needles sticks open it will leak fuel all over. Much more likely than a petcock leaking on the floor, IMO. If the petcock were leaking in its valve it would just always be "on", which wouldn't matter unless the float needle was also stuck open. You really need to determine exactly where that fuel is coming from.
One thing to beware of, and I'm not sure if this applies to this bike in particular, but a stuck float can leak fuel into the cylinder(s) on some engines and create what is known (and dreaded) as a hydro-locked engine. If you think this may have happened make sure you turn the engine over by hand before thumbing the starter button.
And in the case of my goldwing, leak past the rings and into the crankcase... I drained almost 2 gallons of fuel/oil mix out of it.

I was shocked it didn't hydro lock Fred. I was there when the PO attempted to get it running. knocked like a jackhammer.. Fortunately it didn't suffer any damage.

In that era, the V40, V45 & V65 carbs had drain spigots on the bottom of each float bowl, I dunno about the V30. Each fall for storage I would drain the float bowls. I was rewarded with water, dirt and once a spider that I have no idea how it fit through the hole. Anyhoo, you can drain the float bowls using the brass screw at the drain spigot and compare fuel volume from bowl to bowl to see if it is a float/needle problem. All bowls should be close to equal. I used clear tubing run out to a catch jar so I could compare volume and examine the bowl contents.

Last edited by a moderator: