Let's see what jacket you're using.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Fred pointed out, Cycle Gear's house brand is Bilt. I think there is a purpose for this inexpensive brand. There are riders who are cheap and that brand fits them well. Then there are riders who just don't have the money to invest in quality gear. And, then there are some new riders who have all the gear to buy at one time and I think this gear fits them on a budget. Most will go on to replace that inexpensive gear later on with better quality that will last longer or be better suited for the purpose. Then I think there are some who just don't have the experience yet to know what that want but need something while they research and decide where to put their bigger bucks in the future.

The only Bilt product I have is a pair of heavy gloves. I needed a pair right now for one short ride only, so 70 bucks it was. I actually ended up using them for a few more rides before replacing them, but they really were OK and got me through to that future when I had more time to research. Now my wife wears them on cold days as they are large enough for her to wear liners and they do the job.

I prefer a bit more quality than Bilt, but for those on a budget or just not going to pay higher prices regardless of the rewards, Bilt has a marketing purpose.

I replaced my lost gloves (good ones) with a pair of very air-moving shorty motox (BMX) gloves at a local shop at the 3rd checkpoint of the 2003 IBR. They were crap and mostly remind me of the Mechanix shop gloves. Sure were cool in the heat of the summer. Every bit of velcro on me or the bike stuck to them. Eventually they looked like chia pets. THEN (at the finish?) I found my good gloves under the seat where I must have laid them when doing something on the bike during the checkpoint.

Cheap is cheap and I'm glad I didn't have to test them beyond debris and bugs.

Sedici is also a Cycle Gear brand, and -- perhaps? -- a bit more durable. Definitely more fashionable.

Bottom line: if it isn't going to protect you when you go down, it's worth zero.

I own no Sedici gear.

Only piece of Bilt gear in my closet? One pair of summer gloves, because they were $22 and I felt OK cutting tiny holes at each finger web and drilling tiny holes in the plastic knuckle protectors to allow more ventilation. Not enough to significantly affect their strength or structural integrity .... I hope.

Art Miller offered a great link (https://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/street+jackets+40-70+percent+off/f/sort-pricelow) for Fieldsheer, Tourmaster, FirstGear, Cortech, and other quite reputable brands.

(SHIT! They've got Bell helmets on sale for $129 that include a Transitions photo-grey visor! The VISOR costs that much alone!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not stay with Olympia if worked for you for 10 years? I just upgraded all my gear to Olympia in the last year. i'm happy with it, all CE level 1 armor except for the hip pads in the pants and that's only a $30 upgrade. Look at the AirGlide. Should be everything you need plus the rain liners now go on the outside of the jacket and pants too.

^ Thats a big plus, IMO. The idea of putting a rain liner on the inside of a jacket, either mesh or non-WP textile, just doesnt work that well. Although I do use my WP liner from my Airglide 3 as an additional layer inside of other GoreTex shells sometimes, as a belt and suspenders approach to staying dry

Which, amusingly, I literally do with my Olympia Ranger 1 pants by the way. They are kinda heavy and are sized to wear layers under so the suspenders help keep the pants from drooping when standing off the bike. I found some Dickies brand suspenders at Wally World that have plastic clips at the ends that hook under a belt, so belt and suspenders it is! Gives you the much sought after old guy look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on my second set of Tourmaster jacket and pants. I also have a full Aerostitch suit that I wear for long trips out of state. It let me down last trip when the zipper kept coming undone for some reason. Did I mention it was raining when that happened. I was not happy. There are not a lot of miles on the stitch and it still looks like almost new.

Good luck,

Dave

Rain protection that goes inside the jacket, pants or suit make no sense to me. I once watched a friend on the side of the road remove his Motoport gear, put on a rain suit and then put the MotoPort gear again; I think he even removed his boots to get this done. All done in a hard rain and hail storm on the Taylor Highway south of Chicken. He was soaked, and to add insult to injury, it cleared up soon thereafter and he had to go through the same routine again.

In addition to P's observation, once I saw people using jackets and pants that could be zipped closed when it rained, I realized using the extra space for rain gear and doing the roadside rainsuit boogie was ridiculous.

I have replaced my BMW Rallye2 Pro suit (result of accident) with Klim Lattitude jacket & pants and could not be happier. This suit is lighter weight, well armoured, very well designed and so far completely waterproof, after riding 2 hrs. in torrential rain.

Expensive but worth it in my opinion and I have become a Klim convert having now bought Klim layering base and mid layer clothing and going to buy their Elite gloves which seem to be impressive also.

Highly recommend their clothing, but do take the time to get a good fit, there are many options such as short or long inseams etc.

I will NEVER wear a jacket that doesn't have a ZIPPERED sleeve cuff. On my last crash, the Velcro'd cuff detached, the jacket sleeve slid up, and my forearm was rashed pretty bad.

Also, I will NEVER wear a jacket that doesn't zip to my pants. During the same crash, judging from the significant road marks on the jacket, I must have slid a good ways on my back. The zipper kept the jacket from riding up.

My current jackets are the Tourmaster Cortech Sport 3.0 and Sport Air 3.0. Good ventilation on the textile jacket - I can wear it comfortably in the humidity up to the low 80s.

This is a good vendor for deals on gear:

(formally New Enough)

www.motorcyclegear.com

Frank Thomas waterproof textile jacket is my go to in the winter months. Keeps me both warm and dry without even using the liner.

Rain protection that goes inside the jacket, pants or suit make no sense to me. I once watched a friend on the side of the road remove his Motoport gear, put on a rain suit and then put the MotoPort gear again; I think he even removed his boots to get this done. All done in a hard rain and hail storm on the Taylor Highway south of Chicken. He was soaked, and to add insult to injury, it cleared up soon thereafter and he had to go through the same routine again.
I wear a 2 piece Dianese perforated leather suit and for rain protection I carry REI Gore-Tex rain pants and jacket. they go over the top of the leather and take a few seconds to put on. Been caught in one of those rain showers near Chicken too. I also use the rain gear when it is cold out as a wind break layer too, since I don't use gear. As a base layer I wear the LD Comfort under the leather.

The sedici rapido waterproof jacket, from cycle gear, was superb. It wasn’t stich or Klim, but it was better than most alternatives. They discontinued this year. I would’ve bought a couple if I’d known they were phasing them out. I used them for years before buying aerostich Dariens.

Thanks again for all the great replys. Jayke, I ended up taking your advice and stuck with Olympia. My last one lasted 10 years, and that says a lot. I ended up with the Olympia Richmond. Very nice jacket with nice armor. Fits great and is very comfortable. I like the adventure style jackets that go below your waist, and this one does just that.

I hope the quality stands up over time like my last jacket.

For fall and winter riding ( I know I am in Texas and know little about real winter) I have a Gerbings Jacket with micowire liner.

Waterproof, and with the liner out warm enough in to the 50s liner in and I put 400 miles of 40 degree rainy weather on it week before last and never got

the thermostat past midpoint

Summer I have a couple of lighter weight jackets Revit and Tourmaster brands