Looking for a video camera for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300Mark

Reaction score
I borrowed a video camera and used a mount on the brake braket to shoot some video. It was pretty good, but told me a few things. Editing the video is a lot more work than taking the video. And one twisty looks like the next after hours of looking at video. However, it is a great way to preserve the ride with friends.

I'm interested in getting my own digital video camera to use on and off the bike.

It needs to be small (most are these days) and I'm trying to figure out if one with a hard drive is best.

I don't think I want one of those cameras that is only use attached to a bike or helmet. Shooting through the wind screen is fine.

The three types I've seen are tape, mini dvd, or hard drive. I'm leaning toward the hard drive with video stabilization.

Do any of you have experience with which video camera is best in shooting from a bike.

Thanks

I borrowed a video camera and used a mount on the brake braket to shoot some video. It was pretty good, but told me a few things. Editing the video is a lot more work than taking the video. And one twisty looks like the next after hours of looking at video. However, it is a great way to preserve the ride with friends.I'm interested in getting my own digital video camera to use on and off the bike.

It needs to be small (most are these days) and I'm trying to figure out if one with a hard drive is best.

I don't think I want one of those cameras that is only use attached to a bike or helmet. Shooting through the wind screen is fine.

The three types I've seen are tape, mini dvd, or hard drive. I'm leaning toward the hard drive with video stabilization.

Do any of you have experience with which video camera is best in shooting from a bike.

Thanks
You might want to talk with jdog on thid forum... He's got a very sweet set up, all digital and flash drive media. NO hard drives at all...

Check it out at https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=22276

Last edited by a moderator:
I borrowed a video camera and used a mount on the brake braket to shoot some video. It was pretty good, but told me a few things. Editing the video is a lot more work than taking the video. And one twisty looks like the next after hours of looking at video. However, it is a great way to preserve the ride with friends.I'm interested in getting my own digital video camera to use on and off the bike.

Thanks
Hard drive systems are shit.... let me repeat SHIT.... the vibrations from the bike will shut off Hard drive recorders. Digital tape is ok but need to secure your camera good or it my get bumpy or skip. DVD recorders will skip big time. Now if you want something awsome run this https://www.chasecam.com/pdr/pdr100.htm..

Editing does take time. for every minute of video expect about 1 hours time. when you through in effect add more time.

Once you figure it out you might be able time cut down your time a bit.

Mark, check these two video's out... this is my set when i got serious about video taping off my bike. first one is using a canon video camera zr300. the second id my newest setup using the PDR100 flash card recorder.

I use Sony Vegas Platinum Movie studio 7.0a for editing movies.. I started off using window movie maker..

Hope this helps you out ... good luck

Jdog

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also been looking at a cam system for trips. I'm going to try the Archos Helmet cam and thier 604 WiFi digital recorder. Should have them the end of the week.

Not sure now it's going to workout yet, but I'll past along some info about how it does if you like.

I want some thing small and light. Don't really want to use my full size Digital camcorder.

I have more junk than places to put it when on a week long trip already.