Looking to get a new GPS, what do you own?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn Fred.. Chill..

I think it's simply insane too, first of all, overkill like that.. Then add the cost?

An then somebody bumps it and 32 of the 64 screws get all loose. It's a freakin GPS Unit fer fuks sakes..

Mine was duct taped to my tankbag after the first mount failed and it stuck there for a year..

Then i deep sixed it as it was pretty much useless.. Paper is still far superior as far as I'm concerned.

I don't get what motivates peeps to spend the annual budget of Portugal just to stay ahead of the Jones's

But I'm kinda simple

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn Fred.. Chill..

I think it's simply insane too, first of all, overkill like that.. Then add the cost?

An then somebody bumps it and 32 of the 64 screws get all loose. It's a freakin GPS Unit fer fuks sakes..

Mine was duct taped to my tankbag after the first mount failed and it stuck there for a year..

Then i deep sixed it as it was pretty much useless.. Paper is still far superior as far as I'm concerned.

I don't get what motivates peeps to spend the annual budget of Portugal just to stay ahead of the Jones's

But I'm kinda simple
+1, Gunny; Words of Wisdom from a fecking Jackass, even more brilliant than the Douche-Umiak! Since it is indeed Dog Pile Friday: Anyone that uses a GPS on a moto is queerer than a three dollar bill and could not have had much of a damn Mother!

Just got back from riding 3,300 miles en la Frontera, Mexico without that damned worthless and silly ass black box; plus, in 1990 I rode solo from San Luis Obispo, CA to Guatemala City with only just this one paper map! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

41xIhPPYXbL._SS270_.jpg

Sorry Luddites, but I would be lost without a GPS. I used to be pretty good with paper maps, but since I have been using a GPS for a number of years I don't have the patience to use a paper map.

At the risk of sounding like a belt and suspenders guy I carry the paper maps and the GPS. The many ways the GPS benefits me make it worth the money. The paper maps are an infallible backup and are actually what is used to determine the course for the day.

I think that my use of GPS on the boat conditioned me to trust it. I often find myself wishing I could also have radar on the bike as well...

So let me get this straight: BeemerDonS, BJ and Opie all feel a need to chime in on a thread titled "Looking to get a new GPS" and tell everyone that they are too dumb to learn how to use one and that they prefer a paper map?
Wow.
Yes indeedy Freddie Bear, next question please! jes' sayin' and nuff' said on a Dog Pile Friday for our Fine Fabulous Fecking FJR Forum! Ya Patriots Loser!!!

I too am a paper map and gps guy. The maps I like for the overall view I can't get on a gps screen. The gps I like for finding a specific address, eats or gas in unfamiliar territory that I can't find on a map. I also find the audio of the gps in heavy traffic urban settings much easier than a map. So for me it's not one camp (those who can still read) or another (those who don't mind being told where to go). But I am also not a techno-geek so I usually have no idea what folks are talking about with electronical stuff like this. Hell, the discussion about the upcoming assistance list options are being to sound like it's going to be way too complicated for me to be able to use.

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a Zumo 660 with my part of my tax refund. Oddly enough it was my wife (who is normally very reluctant to spend money) who convinced me to go ahead and get it.

Another vote for the Nuvi 1490 LMT..When I bought mine they had a car cable which hooked into the 12 V system for all the power cord radio features..I also think it has a voltage regulator ckt. for power supply....Works great...I also use a old 2XX series Nuvi for separate speedometer and trip log function....Baggie weatherproofing when needed.......

My wife as the Zumo660, as it was part f her car in disguise, CanAm spyder. I'm using a Nuevi 1490 LMT and work for e like a charme, I got it at Fry's as a factory refurb for $100, instead of a Zumo costing $600. V RPK
Hey RPK, Santa is bringing me a 1490 LMT and wants to know how you feed power to yours on the bike. The supplied plug in adaptor is huge and the cord is chunky, so the cubby lid can't be closed when connected, right?

Thanks in advance and a Merry Xmas to you.
Anybody have an input to the power cord question from Santa?
I use an adaptor which provides 2 female plugs. These are thinner than the 1490 cable so you could do a little work with a Sawzall or a Dremel if you prefer. One other option, which I adopted was to leave the compartment lid open. That works like a charm

Willie

My wife as the Zumo660, as it was part f her car in disguise, CanAm spyder. I'm using a Nuevi 1490 LMT and work for e like a charme, I got it at Fry's as a factory refurb for $100, instead of a Zumo costing $600. V RPK
Hey RPK, Santa is bringing me a 1490 LMT and wants to know how you feed power to yours on the bike. The supplied plug in adaptor is huge and the cord is chunky, so the cubby lid can't be closed when connected, right?

Thanks in advance and a Merry Xmas to you.
Anybody have an input to the power cord question from Santa?
I use an adaptor which provides 2 female plugs. These are thinner than the 1490 cable so you could do a little work with a Sawzall or a Dremel if you prefer. One other option, which I adopted was to leave the compartment lid open. That works like a charm
Willie
Deja vu

I bought a Garmin Montana 600 a few weeks ago and have been learning how to use it. It is different from the Streetpilots and Nuvis that I have. It comes with topographical maps but not detailed street maps. Once I added the City Navigator maps I was able to put it in NUVI mode and it works similar to a NUVI, which is familiar to me. The Montana seems more rugged than my previous Garmins. I think I'm going to like it once I get the hang of it.

I switched from MapSource to BaseCamp for route planning for the Montana, and BaseCamp comes with it's own learning curve. I also bought Microsoft Streets and Trips, which looks OK but also requires learning how to use it so I decided to focus on BaseCamp for now.

I installed the Garmin Marine mount for it because I use a dash shelf and the marine mount put the display right about where my previous mount put the StreetPilot display.

Now all I have to do is wait for the snow to melt so I can get the bike out of the garage.

I had a TomTom Go 720 until it was stolen! (out of my car...not my bike!!) I replaced it with a Garmin 550 and liked it ok, being able to plan trips though backroads (twistys) in Easter Kentucky and also playing music on the SD card, through the AutoCom and into the helmet.

However.....the biggest downfall, insofar as Garmin vs TomTom, is that I pre-route my trips, usually with Delorme's Gazetteer, and State Roads are marked with either 2 digit (decent size highways), 3 digit (2 lane roads), and 4 digit (small 1-1/2 lane roads) and these are numbers! Most of the roads in Kentucky (and Ohio) are marked with numbers...not names of the roads. TomTom uses numbers and Garmin uses the names of the roads, which are typically not posted as the numbers are!

And to top that all off, each County uses a different name for the road!! So its pretty hard to plan a trip using Garmin!

I've since bought a used TomTom Rider, and it does everything I need it to do. The Garmin has been demoted to the car!

Just my 2 cents!!

Tommy G.

I currently run a perfectly functioning Garmin 276C and really like it. But it's not longer supported by Garmin so it's just a matter of time before it's not so useful I suppose.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Montana, 660LM or the new 350LM. I know the montana can do off road tracking and routing but can the other two. I assume they'll do off road but can anyone confirm that? Couldn't tell from the website.
Still have my Garmin 276c, and after 8 years it still is an excellent option. With that said I bought a Montana 650t in September, it offers tracks, and a host of other features, but asos uses BaseCamp while the 276c uses MapSource. BaseCamp is the new Garmin software as Mapsource is no longer supported, just like the 276c.

Some of the biggest complaints I've seen on-line from 660 users is the mount, or should I say the way the Zumo is connected. Lots of complaints about the cords and such. Apparently the 350LM has changed the mount set-up and is a cleaner install with no cable issues. Since I don't need or want XM and use my Ipod through the Sena for tunage, I'm leaning to the 350LM due to the mount change. Plus there's currently a $100 rebate on the 350LM.

Will the 350 LM zumo work with the street & trip software and let you listen to music?
I don't think there is any Garmin unit that will allow you to create a map/route in Streets and Trips and import to GPS.
not true at all.

I use Streets & Trips to create custom routes for my Garmin Nuvi 770 all the time and they import perfectly. Couldn't be easier.

You just have to use the "Export" function to save your S&T route as a .GPX file before you can import it.

I also recommend using https://www.gpsvisualizer.com to be able to do a full screen view of a GPS route.