Lots of new parts, Custom Headlight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapnpop

Rest in Peace our Forum Founder
Reaction score
To start off, this is how my bike looks tonight as I post:

labor1.jpg

It kinda reminds me of a race horse with blinders on. Or a hoverbike.

But anyway... It's been a while since I've been able to do any major service, so it was time to get in and lube all the pivot points, service the U-joint, etc.

While I was in this deep, I decided to throw some new stuff into the mix.

labor2.jpg

labor3.jpg

Also, I wanted to do something about the lighting. Let me start off by saying I'm not an IBA or rally rider. I'm a commuter and UJM rider. I also don't particularly care for auxiliary light housing hanging off the bike.

I had an extra headlight with a few broken screw tabs from a previous crash, and I had access to some HID projectors. And thus was born:

labor4.jpg

I machined some mounts that hold the projectors, and then use the stock hardware to mount to the aiming screws and pivot in the housing. This lets me keep the stock aiming functions on the back of the housing. The smaller projector, a Hella low-beam only unit, fits with no modification. I could take that side back to stock. The other side uses a larger Bosch projector our of a BMW 3 series. This is a dual pattern reflector, but the solenoid area required some hacksaw modification to the housing. If this proof of concept works well, I'll start looking through the junk-yards for a bi-xenon projector the size of the Hella, that can fit inside the stock housing.

labor5.jpg

labor6.jpg

I had both headlights off the bike, so I did a side by side comparison on the bench, under equal conditions.

The stock is on the left, and the HID projectors on the right. The first picture (with flash on) turned out the best. It's closest to how the light looks in person. Then I turned off the flash for all the others thinking I would get a better picture. I'd like to get more high beam, but it's still more output than stock. There are large gains to the low-beam performance! I also had not aimed these at all yet, just threw it together before I left for photos.

Low Beam

labor7.jpg

labor8.jpg

High Beam

labor9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude! Is that 'thing' actually an FJR? Killer garage, man. I am coming to live with you.

SkooterG words of wisdom: 'Ride more, farkle less.'

That doesn't look like a garage. It looks like a freekin' laboratory. And Slappy is the mad Dr. Farklestein.

Excellent work with the headlights. From my experience putting the telescopic HIDs in the stock headlamp housing I think that I can say unequivocally that you are going about it right by splitting the functions of the two headlamps.

I think that you will be surprised at how usable the beam pattern is, once you get the bike back together, especially in high beam with the improved foreground fill of the split High / Low headlamp.

More pics when done, please... :)

It kinda reminds me of a race horse with blinders on.
I agree with everyone else, you have a great place to work on your bike!

No disrespect but your bike looks more like a snail than a race horse with those handle bars sticking up like that.

I also am interested in the finished project. I hope you'll post the details when you're finished.

In all honesty, I have to give mad props to my employer for the *wonderful* shop I can use on the weekends! If only my garage were that nice.

Hopefully will have everything buttoned back up with updates this afternoon.

Heck of a way to make sure you're getting all the bugs out of each and every nook an cranny. Mines lucky to see water unless it's raining.

Let's do a light shootout after you're done.

You'll still win, unless we're talking no aux lights.

What I'd really like to compare against is the rebased HID bulbs in front of the stock reflectors. That's where I don't know if I've really made any improvement or not, and the conversion bulbs are a LOT cheaper/easier.

That being said, it's something I've wanted to do for years as a project, and just happened to have the opportunity now.

Yeah, I've seen his posts, and I've been on hidplanet for a couple years as a lurker before starting my project.

Went for the first ride at night after putting everything back together tonight. I like the new setup alot. Too late with too many hours working today for details, will need to do more evaluation later. Photos to follow.