Lowering advice please.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaster

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2016 FJR1300A I’d like to lower between 1 to 2”. I’ve located lowering links, adjustable side stand & centerstand from T-Rex Racing and/or Soupy’s. Was wanting to slide the front forks above the triple clamp maybe an inch or so but looks like I’d need to use riser blocks under the handle bars to give the forks clearance. One big concern is, can the forks be slid up any before the fender hits the fairing?  The specs claim a little more than 5” of travel which appears to put the fender close to the fairing in stock configuration already. Anyone had any experience with this?

Lowered mine with Kouba Links 7/8s and slipped the forks 1/2 in. Anything more than that may give you clearance issues. Also added a Corbin seat but I don't recall how much lower that brings you. If you do lower your ride beware of curbs and speed bumps. This setup works for me but of course YMMV. 😉

Jaster,

You can lower the seat (I did on my 2008), as well.  The Corbin seats are built really low, but firm.  Some riders say the Corbin seat is too firm, but mine fits me well enough that it's just fine.  If you are getting a Corbin seat made, Corbin will work with you to get it right.

Plan B is to bring the Earth  bit closer.  I ride with light tactical boots, having side zippers to avoid lacing.  The taller heels and aggressive treads (waffle-stompers) do the job very well, and you'll be walking taller, which is also great.  The better ankle protection is a bonus, there.  I'd recommend getting the boots with steel shanks, for better footpeg comfort.

There are other options apart from lowering links. I have tried both methods. Shaving the seat is the way I went, the FJR seat is very wide so I started by shaving the sides, that allows you to get a bit more inside leg height. Then I shaved the top of the seat by about an inch. It's still plenty comfortable (for me).

I have a 29" inside leg FYI, I can get the balls of both feet on the ground and with a pillion both feet flat.

You got it wrong. To spend your life changing the world around you is the drastic solution. Change yourself once and the world fits.  Et viola!