Making my bike look like the suns coming down the road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Morrison

Retired Postal Worker
Reaction score
Ok, I may need a little help.. I have the lights from real ind.... 1800 ml and 1500 ml want to install the 1800 on the mirrors and the 1500 on the fenders..

I have toggle switches so if I want to turn them off if I want to.

I have Motolights on my cruiser and love how it makes me seen....

Will pay in beer.....

Well let me try to be more clear... I am looking for help installing the lights......if not hands on help....hints would be great....

You'll want to use a relay (or relays) for the actual power switching to these lights, and run the relay switched power directly from the battery (or a buss bar off the battery). The current draw of these lights is too much to just tap into the existing wiring harness of the bike. If you are going to want to have the lights independently controllable, it'll mean two relays and two switches.

When I had aux lights installed I used a single pole double throw switch with the common terminal going to the relay trigger. One side of the switch was just a 12V ignition switched signal so the lights would be on all the time with the bike. For the other side of the switch I tapped into the high beam wire so that the aux lights would switch off and on with the high beams. The reason for that function was that I had the aux lights aimed at the foreground as fill lights for the large area that my HID high beams leave non-illuminated.

Here's a little wiring diagram on how to wire the relays. You can just run the switched output to the lights where I was powering a blue sea Fuse panel.

12Vrelay.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim (if that is your real name), ;)

You can ask Qs on Saturday, if you want, at breakfast...I know nothing about that stuff, but TriggerT, griff, and SkooterG have aftermarket lights on their bikes and may be able to give you some hints...besides the info shared by Fred in the post above.

Jeeze, at least FredW took the time to give advice! Although translating the first post was interesting. Realtime Industries doesn't take that much longer to type. :lol:

Jim (if that is your real name), ;)

You can ask Qs on Saturday, if you want, at breakfast...I know nothing about that stuff, but TriggerT, griff, and SkooterG have aftermarket lights on their bikes and may be able to give you some hints...besides the info shared by Fred in the post above.

For those who wonder....yes Jim Morrison is my real name....

I did put the Motolights on the other bike with no problems, but the ones from realtime Industries ( for those who want it spelled out) came with no information and since I'm not an electrictian I thought it would be better to ask than screw something up

You'll want to use a relay (or relays) for the actual power switching to these lights, and run the relay switched power directly from the battery (or a buss bar off the battery). The current draw of these lights is too much to just tap into the existing wiring harness of the bike. If you are going to want to have the lights independently controllable, it'll mean two relays and two switches.

When I had aux lights installed I used a single pole double throw switch with the common terminal going to the relay trigger. One side of the switch was just a 12V ignition switched signal so the lights would be on all the time with the bike. For the other side of the switch I tapped into the high beam wire so that the aux lights would switch off and on with the high beams. The reason for that function was that I had the aux lights aimed at the foreground as fill lights for the large area that my HID high beams leave non-illuminated.

Here's a little wiring diagram on how to wire the relays. You can just run the switched output to the lights where I was powering a blue sea Fuse panel.

12Vrelay.jpg

Thanks!!!!

Thanks for taking the time out to give a STRAIGHT answer..............