MAYDAZE RIDE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRONAMISSION

Flying at the speed of smell ;))
Reaction score
These guys are not part of this forum... just guys I know... I ride with them every year. this is their

plan for this year........... anyone want in ??? there are usually two packs... just cruzin and love those twisties..... everyone knows

THE PACE... and how to ride.

Just thought I would put this out there.........

============

Last year the consensus seemed to be that Southern Utah and Northern Arizona would be the target area for our ride. So I’ve done a bit of looking at the area to see what the ride might entail.

SCENERY AND RIDE ROUTE

First let me say that I’ve been won over to the idea by the concentration of great natural scenery.

A semi-loop from Zion to Gran Canyon Nat’l Park would be about 650 miles long and include the following scenic attractions:

Zion National Park

Cedar Breaks National Monument

Bruce Canyon National Park

Capitol Reef National Park

Glen Canyon National Park

Monument Valley

Grand Canyon National Park

Side trips could also take in:

The Wave of Vermilion Cliffs

Arches National Park

I recommend Google images to see the sights of these places!

LOGISTICS

Start Point: St. George, Utah.

End Point: Grand Canyon Village (south rim), Arizona

Tour direction: Clockwise using I15 north, 9 east, 89 north, 14 west, 148 north, 143 east, 89 south, 12 east, 24 east, 95 & 261 OR 191 south, 163 south, 160 West, 89 south, 64 west.

Distance: about 650 miles

However, this trip is loaded with scenery – some of which may require hiking to see. While we could blast 650 miles out in 2 long days or 3 medium days of riding (for past Mayday trips I’ve scheduled about 250 miles per day) I recommend doing the loop in minimum 3 days and more likely 4 on the premise that if we’re going there for the scenery then let’s take the time to see it via longer stops and short hikes.

GETTING THERE:

Getting to and from St. George from the Bay Area is nearly 700 miles each way. From San Diego I’d guess about 500 miles each way.

IMO 700 miles is a long one-day drive trailing the bikes or a long 1.5 day riding the bikes. Essentially the same time commitment for those coming from San Diego.

THINK IT OVER

1. Time commitment: probably 7 days (from home and back) to do it right. Using 2 weekends and one work-week would be about right.

2. Extra logistics and expense for trailering bikes:

a. Possible trailer drop-off and pick-up in Las Vegas assuming we can find someone who knows someone with a good heart and secure space for 1-week trailer parking.

3. Extra expense for one or more chase vehicles: it’d be nice to have in such remote country where weather can fluctuate between Freeze and Fry (we would be at elevations up to 9,000 ft) and where we might want to camp rather than hotel at least once.

Timing, women, and other things of Note:

1. Speaking of chase vehicles: Robin won’t be able to come in May due to year-end accounting rush on her new job so we could move the ride to early or mid April to accommodate her…

2. Speaking of Robin, Flora was the only gal brave enough to hang on the back of bike last time. Are there any of our gals who might ride along or drive a chase vehicle this time?

3. AMA Supercross finals are in Las Vegas on Saturday May 2. Some may want to take that in to whet their appetite for Maydays IV, which could then be scheduled to start in St George, Utah on Sunday, May 3.

===================================

There ya go........

B.

SCENERY AND RIDE ROUTEFirst let me say that I’ve been won over to the idea by the concentration of great natural scenery.

A semi-loop from Zion to Gran Canyon Nat’l Park would be about 650 miles long and include the following scenic attractions:

Zion National Park

Cedar Breaks National Monument

Bruce Canyon National Park

Capitol Reef National Park

Glen Canyon National Park

Monument Valley

Grand Canyon National Park

Side trips could also take in:

The Wave of Vermilion Cliffs

Arches National Park

I recommend Google images to see the sights of these places!

LOGISTICS

Start Point: St. George, Utah.

End Point: Grand Canyon Village (south rim), Arizona

Tour direction: Clockwise using I15 north, 9 east, 89 north, 14 west, 148 north, 143 east, 89 south, 12 east, 24 east, 95 & 261 OR 191 south, 163 south, 160 West, 89 south, 64 west.

Distance: about 650 miles

However, this trip is loaded with scenery – some of which may require hiking to see. While we could blast 650 miles out in 2 long days or 3 medium days of riding (for past Mayday trips I’ve scheduled about 250 miles per day) I recommend doing the loop in minimum 3 days and more likely 4 on the premise that if we’re going there for the scenery then let’s take the time to see it via longer stops and short hikes.
Those guys have it right. This is definitely a ride and hike kind of trip. Looks like a ton of fun. If only I had the time this year...

Here is some more info on the ride from CDOG in Utah....

=======

I think it is a WONDERFUL route.. Many of those roads I have been on, some I have not..

12 is an awesome road.. one of the top 10 in the nation for motorcycle touring.. There will be some VERY cold parts up toward the turnoff for 24. AT TORREY UTAH BEFORE 24. TOP OFF YOUR TANK. This is critical. If you take 95 you will hit a Ferry to cross Lake Powell, there is no fuel there either.. it is another (I think) 85 miles from there. I would not miss the 95 route for the world. It is supposed to be incredible. It is on my list of routes too this year.

14 will be cold as well.. Honestly. I would skip ZIONS (9) unless you have never seen it or just want a day of scenery.. I would come over 14 out of cedar city and allow flexibility to continue to "Long Valley Junction" at the intersection of 89 and double back to 148/143. There may be snow even then, it may be on the roads even then. This allows you alternates and the opportunity to execute them and still make your evening destination. Duck creek pass (14) will also be cold as fook, but worth it. I did it last year.. It was 108 deg in St George that day, and 68 deg over duck creek same day. 90 at "Long Valley junction" same day.. Also that same day it was 85deg In Torrey (top of 12) and 62deg 15-20 miles south on 12.

To say you will be gong from one extreme to another is an understatement... I would not hesitate to go for it though. I did Salt Lake, to torrey, 12, to 89, to long Junction, to duck creek, to st george, to Mesquite NV in one day.. that was a fooking great day.. I and was hammered by the time I got there..

May is a good time.. Just bring your warm shit too.. I envy you.. this trip will rock and I doubt I could go. But is will be spectacular

=============

Sounds great!!

B.

Hey B Iwill be at the Vegas Supercross, have my tickets but I wont be riding I will have the family with me. you guys have fun, I have done some of that ride acouple of years ago, include coal bank pass and the great divide, durango and cortez Colorado plus all that stuff in UTAH we took 8 days but we went about 3000 miles, its fun

Steve

Hey B Iwill be at the Vegas Supercross, have my tickets but I wont be riding I will have the family with me. you guys have fun, I have done some of that ride acouple of years ago, include coal bank pass and the great divide, durango and cortez Colorado plus all that stuff in UTAH we took 8 days but we went about 3000 miles, its fun
Steve
3000 miles with yoiur blinker on...amazing :yahoo:

Steve
3000 miles with yoiur blinker on...amazing :yahoo:

No man I cut the wires so it would not come on

Steve :dribble: :yahoo: