Michelin Pilot Road 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most are doing standard
How come? The B version mostly usefull if often driving with passenger and luggage? The standard works great for solo riding?
I run PR2's btw cuz I don't see the rain often enough to warrant the more easily worn-out PR3's.

The reason for standard (for most) probably would be cost.

Most are doing standard
How come? The B version mostly usefull if often driving with passenger and luggage? The standard works great for solo riding?
I run PR2's btw cuz I don't see the rain often enough to warrant the more easily worn-out PR3's.

The reason for standard (for most) probably would be cost.
Always raining here, so the new PR3 are most welcome. I wonder what Michelin recommend. Have to take a look at their homepage.

I am looking to purchase a set of Michelin PR3.
Anyone know where I can get a set at a good price.

Thank you for the help and recommendation.
Try these guys: https://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/ Free shipping, and not sure about the tax any more. I have purchased several tires from them, and always received great service, and usually the best price as well.

Just picked up new Michelin Pilot Road 3 (front and rear) from Ducati Bellevue dealership. They beat the best on-line prices. Only $140 for rear and $120 for front with $60 for mount and balance for both. Excellent dealership located in Redmond, WA.

Ducati Bellevue

2040-152nd Ave NE
Redmond, WA 98052(425) 882-4300https://www.ducatibellevue.com

Add Photos

• Hours:
  • Tue-Fri 10 am - 6 pm

Sat 10 am - 5 pm

I had PR2's on my Gen1, lasted about 6500 miles and it was toast with some belts showing on last ride. The PR3's on my Gen2 lasted much longer than any of the PR2s. It is still on my bike with decent tread on it and I believe I have 8k miles on it already. I think the longer gears on the Gen2 help on tire wear, bike isn't as snappy or harsh on the tires.

I noticed the PR3 prices are up about $20 from last year so I am looking other options to include the PR2 and 023GT, but may go back to the PR3 as well. It has done very well.

This just in. . . bikebandit.com has a one day sale on tires. Lowest price I've seen in a while.

PR3:

Front - 125.82

Rear - 161.88

Rear - B spec - 190.04

Free shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
I had PR2's on my Gen1, lasted about 6500 miles and it was toast with some belts showing on last ride. The PR3's on my Gen2 lasted much longer than any of the PR2s. It is still on my bike with decent tread on it and I believe I have 8k miles on it already. I think the longer gears on the Gen2 help on tire wear, bike isn't as snappy or harsh on the tires.
I noticed the PR3 prices are up about $20 from last year so I am looking other options to include the PR2 and 023GT, but may go back to the PR3 as well. It has done very well.
Could be the Gen difference, most report here and other bike forums that the PR2's last longer than PR3's due to the additional siping and softer compound; all derived to make the 3's stick better in wet weather.

So far my PR2's... only 2K on them so far but they still look brand new.

Could be the Gen difference, most report here and other bike forums that the PR2's last longer than PR3's due to the additional siping and softer compound; all derived to make the 3's stick better in wet weather.

Michelin claims the PR3 outlasts the PR2. In their words.."unbeatable tread life".

Haven't tried the PR3's yet but, I've got over 10K on my current set of PR2's with plenty tread left on them. I think your riding style has a lot to do with the wear. :)

I have to ask about the B-spec thing. If the B-spec is designed to carry a passenger does that mean it has a stiffer construction? Because if that's so, that would mean less heat and less wear. Has anyone worn through both and compared?

Tread wear has a lot more to do with how and where you ride, and may be affected by carrying a passenger. I have never seen any claim that tread life is different on a B-spec, but for any PR2 or PR3 tire the variation can be over 50% between riders...a range of 6000 to over 14000 miles on a set. With that kind of individual variation, mileage claims don't mean much.

My experience was the PR2 outlasted the PR3 by 30%. The initial traction and handling of the PR3 was a bit better especially in wet. Both tires suck at the end of life and will lose the last bit of tread really fast! You might see a tire that looks to have 1-2K miles left, and it could be gone in 500. This has led to many a tire-change away from home.

B-spec is said to have an extra belt in the SIDE wall. They say it supports more weight, and does NOT have any extra belt or rubber in the tread, so wear is planned to be about the same. (I hear they are a bitch to mount manually) YMMV

Tread wear has a lot more to do with how and where you ride, and may be affected by carrying a passenger. I have never seen any claim that tread life is different on a B-spec, but for any PR2 or PR3 tire the variation can be over 50% between riders...a range of 6000 to over 14000 miles on a set. With that kind of individual variation, mileage claims don't mean much.
My experience was the PR2 outlasted the PR3 by 30%. The initial traction and handling of the PR3 was a bit better especially in wet. Both tires suck at the end of life and will lose the last bit of tread really fast! You might see a tire that looks to have 1-2K miles left, and it could be gone in 500. This has led to many a tire-change away from home.
yeah I was lookin forward to trying the 3s,bald at 7thousand really should have changed at 6 but I had heard all these guys on here sayin 10,11,12 and 13thousand

I was a satisfied PR2 user for many tire changes, but decided to give the PR3 a try on my now gone R1100RT. Wear was very good, but traction was so good I bought a set for my Ducati before I took it to the track.

orig.jpg

They handle great on the track and on the road.

My FJR came with near-new Battleax BT023s so I have some time to decide if I'll mount the PR3 on it when the time comes.

Oh sure, you Florida guys always seem to get amazing mileage out of you tires with your flat, straight roads...wait, mine last at least 11k. I'll shut up now.

I have to ask about the B-spec thing. If the B-spec is designed to carry a passenger does that mean it has a stiffer construction? Because if that's so, that would mean less heat and less wear. Has anyone worn through both and compared?
Yep, we've had several of the PNW gang try both versions. Roughly same mileage and wear characteristics. Most everyone has gone back to the standard rear for single and two-up riding. "B" spec (for us anyway) isn't worth the extra $$$.

B-spec is said to have an extra belt in the SIDE wall. They say it supports more weight, and does NOT have any extra belt or rubber in the tread, so wear is planned to be about the same. (I hear they are a bitch to mount manually) YMMV
Don't believe everything you hear. I don't find them any more difficult to mount than a standard PR rear tire, which is a piece of cake compared to several others.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:

Michelin claims the PR3 outlasts the PR2. In their words.."unbeatable tread life".
You got it reversed around.

Yeah they may say "unbeatable tread life" as a promotional bit but coming straight from the Michelin booth at a show last year in Maryland, all the reps in that booth said the softer compound and sipes on the 3 make it wear a bit faster than the PR2. Now it could be that maybe the east coast reps are just not up on their own products?
lol.gif

7k on winter riding on mine. I really hoped to see more, but I'm a heavy guy and the bike usually has a bit of a load.

On a positive note... the wet weather traction was superb. It handled everything this winter threw at it very well. I will be buying another set.

Just my $.02