Michelin Pilot Road vs. Avod Storm-ST vs. Pilot Road2's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayban

Grouchy old fat guy
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been riding every day since I moved here last November, mostly city/regional rides in sunny San Diego. My stocks have 6800 miles and the front is showing silver belts so I'm now parked and jonesing to order new tread this Friday. Whew, that weardown happened FAST, within 200 miles it went from low tread to HOLY SHIT on the right side, probably all those exit ramps. Anyway...

I'd like feedback from both Iron Butt riders (was waiting on new rubber to run some) as well as avid knee-draggin hooligans as to what the latest thoughts are comparing these 3 models...

1. Michelin Pilot Road

2. Michelin Pilot Road2 dual-compound. (always been leary of dual/split anything in a tire)

3. Avon Storm-ST (the latest? revision of these tires).

I ride fast, a lot, and bank sweeping turns and such hard as well. I'm also a heavier rider than typical and plan on loading up on Iron Butt runs too.

My current thoughts lean toward Avons, but PR's seem very favored here too.

I'm not AS worried about price as I am a balanced grip vs. longevity shoe for my baby. Decision will be made Friday morning as I read off my CC #'s to whatever order house or local shop has the best price.

Let the opinions fly...and thanks in advance...

To the best of my knowledge, PR2's are not available yet. Storms stick like the bejebus, PR's give primo mileage with decent levels of stick. JMO. YMMV. 2DIADH.

:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, thanks to whoever for moving a legitimate equipment comparison question to "pointless threads"...you reminded me why I took a break from these places. Eesh.

it's just that there are a million tire threads.

but to help you out, if you like aggressive twisties get the Storms. The Michelins stick like dress shoes on a waxed floor. The Storms stick like gum in hair.

If you want long distance and don't mind the front end stepping out in turns, get the michellins.

JMO

+1 on the Avon Storms.......good grip, but I'm looking at replacing the rear after 4,500 miles, just kissing the center wear bars now.

Tire and oil threads always end up here, rayban. It's really not a big deal. In fact, it helps me know where to look when I want opinions on those things.

For the record, I haven't tried the Storms yet because I've been suspicious of Avon since the old days. I'm on PR's now, though, and I'm sure I'll try something else next time. I'm not an aggressive rider, but the PR's have given me several pucker moments when they've slipped.

Tire and oil threads always end up here, rayban. It's really not a big deal. In fact, it helps me know where to look when I want opinions on those things.
For the record, I haven't tried the Storms yet because I've been suspicious of Avon since the old days. I'm on PR's now, though, and I'm sure I'll try something else next time. I'm not an aggressive rider, but the PR's have given me several pucker moments when they've slipped.
Thanks. That's about enough for me, Avons it is.

I have no tolerance for chatter or slippage, period.

I can't see risking a $11k+ machine by picking a $150 tire that gets 30% more wear than a comparable tire for the same price. For the $50 worth of extra tire life, I should risk a $11k+ bike (not to mention my life/health)? Nope. Call me over-simplistic, but that's how I see it. Nothing silly extreme like racing compound, but given the direct comparison and hearing several mention the PR's issues (and seeing that info on their own website under the handling and grip categories), tread wear is a weak comeback to the comparison as long as the Avons get 4k+ miles.

Storm-ST's going on order Friday morn. Thx all.

I keep reading about people having the Pilot Roads stepping out on them or slipping. I agree that they aren't as sticky as the Pilot Powers I run on my XX, but while I don't push the FJR as hard as I do the XX, I've never had a PR slip or step out on me (on my second one on the front after 7500, and have close to 5000 on the rear PR). I must not be riding it hard enough.

FWIW, an Aussie on the XX board reports that the new Pilot Road 2 is about the same durability as a PR in the center and like a Pilot Power on the shoulders. He also says that they seem to have more of the turn in characteristics of the PP than the original PRs (more triangular shape like the PP???). If that's true, chances are that I'd really like that new PR2.

OTOH, Michelin responded to someone else in the thread over there that they hadn't yet decided whether the PR2 would be offered in the US. :(

I've never had the Pilot Roads step out and have found their wet weather traction excellent. They are wearing much better than the Bridgestones that came with the bike and stick better as well. No experience with the Avons though.

OTOH, Michelin responded to someone else in the thread over there that they hadn't yet decided whether the PR2 would be offered in the US. :(
Geez, why the hell not? I wonder if they informed their distributors of this?
I'm pretty sure they are on recall right now. Guy on a K1200?? had a front blow at 250km/hr, then they found problems with the molds at one plant, something like that, but whatever the reason they are on recall.

Geez, why the hell not? I wonder if they informed their distributors of this?
I'm pretty sure they are on recall right now. Guy on a K1200?? had a front blow at 250km/hr, then they found problems with the molds at one plant, something like that, but whatever the reason they are on recall.
That recall was only for Pilot Powers and Pilot Power 2CT tires. The Pilot Road2 wasn't included in the recall. Bad manufacturing allowed for a possibility of tread separation was the reason behind the recall.

I am really excited for Pilot Road2 to be released here... I think I better speak to the local Michelin race tire guy and see if he knows what the story is...

Storm-ST's going on order Friday morn. Thx all.
Bah, can't find anybody with Avons in stock, so I'm going with the Pirelli Diablo Stradas.

San Diego House of Motorcycles has them in stock and can get them on in an hour, and a good price to boot (94 front, 130 rear).

Try Southwest Moto Tire in Arizona. I bought my Storms from them. Great prices and service. Delivery was free and unbelievably fast.

BTW - I really like the performance of the Storms so far.

My two cents.... Pilot Roads, I don't ride aggressively, but I ride year around (any above 38) and so far no pucker moments.. The Metz that came stock made me very nervous....