MICHELIN PILOT TIRES for FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diverb

Reaction score
Has anyone ridden their FJR with the MICHELIN PILOT TIRES? Ive been running the Metzeler's since I bought it, but Motorsport.com has the Michelin Pilot tires on sale for $219 with free shipping. Thats a little over a $100 in savings from the Metzeler's. I know the FJR owners manual says to only use the Metzlers or Bridgestone, but I think I'd like to try the Michelin and see what kind of mileage I can get from them.

Thanks

Dude! You need to check the 'Never Ending Pointless Recurring Threads' section. There is ALL kinds of tire advice there.

Reader's Digest version:

1) Don't be ridiculous. Of course you can run any damned tire you want. Some will work much better than others.

2) Many around here aren't big fans of the Bridgestone and Metz.

3) Michelin Pilot Road 2 seems to be the most popular replacement tire these days.

4) Michelin Pilot Power is NOT the Pilot Road 2. It is a sport tire that will be sticky, but will give really crappy life. I (and most around here) would NOT recommend it.

Here's a link for Michelin tires for you. Make sure you click on the little orange comparison box in the lower right of the screen. Clicky.

Thank you for the info. I did do a search for tires, and all that poped up was some guy who put a car tire on his FJR.

Dude! You need to check the 'Never Ending Pointless Recurring Threads' section. There is ALL kinds of tire advice there.
Reader's Digest version:

1) Don't be ridiculous. Of course you can run any damned tire you want. Some will work much better than others.

3) Michelin Pilot Road 2 seems to be the most popular replacement tire these days.

4) Michelin Pilot Power is NOT the Pilot Road 2. It is a sport tire that will be sticky, but will give really crappy life. I (and most around here) would NOT recommend it.

Here's a link for Michelin tires for you. Make sure you click on the little orange comparison box in the lower right of the screen. Clicky.

Oh no, diverb! Not that ASSHOLE! He lives in Winter Haven, Fl and screws manatees. I love the Michelin Pilot Road 2's; have them on my FJR and my BMW R1150RT.

Thank you for the info. I did do a search for tires, and all that poped up was some guy who put a car tire on his FJR.

Reader's Digest version:

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ridden their FJR with the MICHELIN PILOT TIRES? Ive been running the Metzeler's since I bought it, but Motorsport.com has the Michelin Pilot tires on sale for $219 with free shipping. Thats a little over a $100 in savings from the Metzeler's. I know the FJR owners manual says to only use the Metzlers or Bridgestone, but I think I'd like to try the Michelin and see what kind of mileage I can get from them.
Thanks
Man, you're lucky it's not Friday, I know you're an FNG but, still you're lucky you didn't post this on a Friday :)

PR2s are very good all-round tires, with good grip and good life. The Powers are awesome for grip, but you'll likely be getting around 2k miles out of them. Another newly released tire that even I (have been running PR2 for over 70k miles) will likely try is the new Storm Ultra 2s.

Just replaced a set of OEM Metzlers with 4K miles on them with a set of PR2's. Granted the Metz's were slightly squared off but the PR2's turned this bike into something really special. I'm sold on them now and recommending them to my riding buddy who rides a Honda VTX 1300 which I assume would be just as good for his bike.

Michelin Pilot Road 2 is the way i went & most likely will always have them on my 07 (i think there that good)

PR2's are the best value for performance & treadlife. The bike is far better in the twisties than with the OEM Bridgestones (real crap they were). Got 8k on the front with plenty of tread left & 7k on the rear...ditto.

My experience

Cheers,

W2

Thanks
I've run Pilot Powers on my FJR. Keep the pressure up but DO NOT expect much life from them. IIRC, I got 4500 miles from the rear tire vs. 10,000-11,000 for the PR2.

Many have addressed the issue of the tire with you, however....you may want to consider shopping for your tires other than a dealership...$219.00 is a bit steep. Hurry over to Cycle gear and pick up the PR2 for $167.00

Better tire....and save $50.00 bucks.....just saying

Don't give it all back to the dealership by taking it to a dealership to do the install either.

I hadn't removed a rear tire before....but after watching mine get put on at a independent shop....I could've kicked myself, it was too easy.

One Axle bolt on left

One small lock bolt on right

Loosen swing arm assembly bolt.

Use something (rubber mallet) to knock the axle out and there's the tire.

You can do that and take the old one to CG and they'll do it for $30.00 I think, I paid the independent guy $40.00, because I was pressed for time...and I liked talking to the owner. Dealership is $70-85 per tire.

Many have addressed the issue of the tire with you, however....you may want to consider shopping for your tires other than a dealership...$219.00 is a bit steep. Hurry over to Cycle gear and pick up the PR2 for $167.00Better tire....and save $50.00 bucks.....just saying

Don't give it all back to the dealership by taking it to a dealership to do the install either.

I hadn't removed a rear tire before....but after watching mine get put on at a independent shop....I could've kicked myself, it was too easy.

One Axle bolt on left

One small lock bolt on right

Loosen swing arm assembly bolt.

Use something (rubber mallet) to knock the axle out and there's the tire.

You can do that and take the old one to CG and they'll do it for $30.00 I think, I paid the independent guy $40.00, because I was pressed for time...and I liked talking to the owner. Dealership is $70-85 per tire.
You should read his first post again. I don't see anything about him buying one tire from a dealership. Or maybe I don't understand yours. $219 is a great price for a set of Mich PR2 tires If you are saying you can get a set for $167 I'm ordering two sets from Cycle gear today. Just trying to understand.

GP :rolleyes:

IMHO - Pilot Road 2's - great tire. Moved from the original Bridgestones way before their time and went to Michelin. Did a 1250 mile trip to Scotland and back on the new PR2's and they performed excellent.